Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 11:21 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,601,096 times

Advertisements

Here is the guide:
http://www.iata.org/SiteCollectionDo...20091001en.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 AM

84 posts, read 234,617 times
Wink Pet travel carriers

Yeah, no Walmart here.

I guess you're saying a cheap one will do the job.

I've been able to find any carriers the right size at local stores and everyone I ask, including the vet, is very surprised at the tight dimensions required. 17"x12,5"x 8" high.

I have found one online here, called Shills pet carrier that will fit. The smaller one will have to do.

Pet Carrier Shills - TiendAnimal

The consensus among people travelling with pets in cabin is to get an aisle seat on the side. Anyone have a thought there?

The plane is a 767 400ER

Thanks for tips everybody!

Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,527,214 times
Well the 767 should be 2-3-2 seating (2 on side, 3 in center, 2 on other side) in economy so if there are 2 of you flying plus the cat, just get your seat assignment for a set of 2 seats on the side, either side, and it should be reasonably comfy. And you won't have to worry about anyone else in a seat next to you.

Apart from takeoff and landing you should be able to have the cat carrier out from under the seat. (Though realistically you should not open it, and the airline may say it needs to stay on the floor and not on your lap.) This is where the soft carrier can come in handy, as it might give more height for a decent portion of the flight and only need to be squished for takeoff and landing. Also, usually when only two seats are together on the side, the under seat area is one large space, which makes fitting a larger bag work. The ultra small dimensions are the worst case scenario. My understanding has always been as long as you can squish it into that dimension it's okay, so a soft carrier that's a bit larger than the stated dimensions isn't likely to cause a big stir.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 AM

Cool Best seats in cabin with pet carrier

Quote:
My understanding has always been as long as you can squish it into that dimension it's okay, so a soft carrier that's a bit larger than the stated dimensions isn't likely to cause a big stir.
Okay, that would be great I have a soft carrier that worked on an Air Europa/AF flight ALC to CDG but both United and Delta want a smaller one.

The vet also said I should probably get by with it, even though it's a little larger. But, I don't want to be a the gate and get refused boarding for the cat because of carrier size...

Old 07-16-2010, 08:14 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,798,241 times
If you decide to take your cat in cabin, undoubtedly pick an aisle seat.

Even though many here prefer cargo, opposite from what was suggested by previous posters (only people who don't have any or much experience flying complain about pets in cargo) I have experienced flying pets internationally and I am adamant about in-cabin travel whenever possible.

I bought a soft carrier at Petco, maybe since you are in Spain you can get one at Amazon England. Some have an "airline standard size approval". I have used mine many times and never had a problem. Best of luck.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out amazon for sure.
Delta pet bag dimensions for this transatlantic flight Paris to Houston are: 18" long, 8" wide and 9" high. Got that from the reservation agent over the phone when I booked. I had to book over the phone (20$ extra fee) because at Delta online there's no way to add a pet to your travel options.

The agent assured me the pet had a reserved spot but when I got my eticket by email there is no mention of travelling with a pet.

Kind of disconcerting. After all, I only reserved by phone to make sure my Caline would have a spot since it's first come first serve, 4 pets allowed. They want your there 3 hours ahead ...but I think I'll make that closer to 4.

I'm going to get the pet reservation confirmed by email with a reference, I don't put much faith in over the phone "yes"es without written backup.

I did book aisle seats so, here's hoping this will make the best of a long haul for both of us. I can already feel my poor legs get stiff, lol.

The vet has given me a syringe to fill with water for her to "sip". She's also going to give my a packet of special soft cat food that can be drawn through the syringe...kind a like for astronauts I guess.

Then I can introduce the syringe at the corner of her mouth and she can get a little sustinance along our 13 hour 1 stop flight.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else is looking for information.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:47 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,798,241 times
You did the right thing taking her with you. For the people who still think I am dreaming, or have no experience, here it goes, a very unfortunate and recent example of what I am talking about...google "paco lost dog".

My advice is, if you can avoid cargo (and unfortunately this is not a possibility for everyone), by all means, do it.

On other note, there is usually no mention about the pet on the ticket, don't worry.

When you get to the company counter let them know you had it on your reservation and remember to ask them for their id tag, if I remember correctly it is a bright green one.

Stiff legs, I know, but you can always walk a bit or stretch and your dear cat will be within your reach.

If you are a "pet mom" like me, call one day in advance to double-check too.

And before I forget, congrats on the World Cup.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:12 AM

17 posts, read 18,185 times
I flew from Kansas City to Seattle with my 2 cats for the first time. After researching in-cabin vs in-hold pros and cons, I decided I would never submit an animal to that uncertainty.
Having moved from Colorado to Missouri with the cats by car, I knew they are both difficult travelers, yowling the whole way...until I dosed them with sedative from my vet.
Other than having to sedate them several times (before being loaded into their shared soft-sided carrier, just outside airport, inside the airport when flight was delayed) they managed quite well. They each had leashes on with ID (as well as being chipped) and TSA wouldn't put them thru the x-ray scanner for hand luggage (nor would I approve it), I was told to lead them thru the metal detector. Yeah right. They were gorked by that time and couldn't even stand much less walk on leash which they don't do when they're sober. So I carried 25 unevenly distributed cats through with leashes trailing behind.
I put them under ther seat in front of me for takeoff and landing. Between those times, I pulled the carrier out and put my feet under the seat in front of me. That way I could feel them breathing and moving under my calves. When I opened up the carrier at the end of the flight, they'd macrame'd their leashes together, but left enough around their chests that their airways were never in danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats