Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 07:41 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times

Advertisements

I took a walk tonight. I got near a house that sits inside of a fence. I've seen four or five different cats going in and out of the fence in the past. There was also a black cat sitting inside the fence.

I saw a black and white. cat on the sidewalk. Usually when you get close they run. This one didn't. I got close and noticed something wasn't right. I got a foot or so away and it got up and gingerly walked inside the fence.

Usually with a cat you start at the head, down to the shoulders, and it's a smooth arch to the tail. This cat had a very sharp arched spine almost to the tailbone, then the spine was almost straight. The cat laid down and it's back legs were pushed toward its front legs and its breathing was very fast and appeared to be labored.

I was just wondering, do cats get scoliosis? Or maybe the spine was broken and healed the wrong way? Or is it just an osteoporotic cat?

I felt sorry for it, but I couldn't really do anything. I don't have the money for a vet visit and the cat seems to have an owner. Sometimes the vet can't do anything anyway.

Just wondering your opinions.

Also, do you guys remember my feral cat I've mentioned a few times? I think I met her brother. His name is Smokey, and he lives at a house up the street. I was able to get him to stop and look at me. He looks just like my cat. His fur is the same color, down the white on the chest. His build is the same. Only thing is, he is, apparently, tame. He has an owner that I've seen him get pretty close to. If he and my feral are litter mates, why is he not feral?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
If he and my feral are litter mates, why is he not feral?
You can start the whole "nature vs. nurture" argument - but the long and the short is that two cats, even littermates, can and will have hugely different personalities. What affects one in a particular way may not affect the other the same way, or perhaps not at all. Think of how different human siblings can be... so it is with cats too.

Even with a litter of "fresh" feral kittens, you'll find some that tame easier and faster than other ones - in fact, you may end up with one that always retains a few odd quirks.

Laboured breathing is never a good sign. I'd suspect injury before disease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats