Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:26 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Stupid piece of crap doesn't work, LOL! The motor runs, but the pump is not working. Gawd, I am ticked off!
Well that sucks! I'm sure they'll replace it with no problems...just don't get so darn excited next time . That's the only thing I hate about ordering things through the mail, it takes so much longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 05:27 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Well that sucks! I'm sure they'll replace it with no problems...just don't get so darn excited next time . That's the only thing I hate about ordering things through the mail, it takes so much longer.
Hi, thank you! I emailed them right away and they emailed right back. I am to call this number tomorrow and someone will talk me through trouble shooting. If it still doesn't work, they'll send me a new one.

So far, I am impressed with the customer service.

I don't mind waiting, I do all my shopping that is not grocery store shopping on line. I loathe to shop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Probably needs to be primed. Fill the whole tank/reservoir and try again....mine do that sometime...Need to get the air out of the tubing.
Thanks for the tips! The instruction booklet does say that the motor will run for a minute or two before the pump starts working. There isn't any tubing with this model, though.

I have taken it apart and put it back together a few times with no success. I'm not the most patient when it comes to mechanical things, so I've put it aside until I can talk to the help desk tomorrow. Otherwise I may smash it on the floor. I have a hammer.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Hi, thank you! I emailed them right away and they emailed right back. I am to call this number tomorrow and someone will talk me through trouble shooting. If it still doesn't work, they'll send me a new one.

So far, I am impressed with the customer service.

I don't mind waiting, I do all my shopping that is not grocery store shopping on line. I loathe to shop!

Thanks for the tips! The instruction booklet does say that the motor will run for a minute or two before the pump starts working. There isn't any tubing with this model, though.

I have taken it apart and put it back together a few times with no success. I'm not the most patient when it comes to mechanical things, so I've put it aside until I can talk to the help desk tomorrow. Otherwise I may smash it on the floor. I have a hammer.
My bad...tubing was the wrong wording...trying to think how I can explain it.
The pump itself has to be primed and all the air removed....my fish tank and all the fountains do the same...they run a while before the water starts to flow....sometimes, if I don't help them along, they will not work...the water is not able to start the flow.
If you fill all the tank where the water is being sucked from...it will help it to get going. Rather than letting the pump to all the work. I know...I'm not being very clear...

Old 07-28-2010, 07:37 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
My bad...tubing was the wrong wording...trying to think how I can explain it.
The pump itself has to be primed and all the air removed....my fish tank and all the fountains do the same...they run a while before the water starts to flow....sometimes, if I don't help them along, they will not work...the water is not able to start the flow.
If you fill all the tank where the water is being sucked from...it will help it to get going. Rather than letting the pump to all the work. I know...I'm not being very clear...
Okay, I see what you are saying. I think I did do that at one point, but I will try that again. I let it run at least five minutes, each time, maybe more, but worried about burning out the motor. I won't try it tonight though, as the hammer still looks temping.

It's Game time with the cats anyway. Fun and laughter and some good kitty lovin' will help erase my annoyance with the thing.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
"Pet Fountain"? Wasn't he a great New Orleans clarinetist? Oh, sorry, that was Pete Fountain.

Sorry...

Old 07-30-2010, 03:55 PM

Got my fountain yesterday and put it out today. The one cat who I bought it for went right up to it while I was filling it and started drinking the water from the bowl. After she ate she went up to it and started drinking the water out of the bowl again and finally figured out that it's coming out from up top too. Thankfully she figured it out and didn't have any problems drinking from it. I'm so happy she's drinking from it. Unfortunately for the other 2 cats, they won't go near it.

My question for those who use this is how long do you leave it on for? It says to leave on only when supervised. Of course my cat is not going to drink on command. I left it on for about an hour, and turned it off. I'll just turn it on in the morning and at night when I'm home. I just didn't want to overheat the motor.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:59 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
I leave mine on constantly for weeks. Only stopped for occasional cleanings. It's a couple years old. Motor should be fine for years as long as you don't run it low. (What overheats the motor is running it with too little water, or running it with the intake clogged.) And even then, you can replace the motor (or any other parts) separately, a hallmark of the Drinkwell line. The total water capacity of the Platinum is over a gallon, so long as you fill the reservoir in back before it completely runs out each time, it can run constantly. You have to watch it for buildup of gunk on the motor intake. You can see this by the flow getting too low, the water level in the bowl going up, etc. There's a little screen thing at the bottom you can clean every so often, but the motor still gets gunked up eventually. You have to clean the works about once every, eh, 6 weeks is probably about right.

Use common sense about placement, your cats' destructive nature , etc. but the don't use unsupervised is total CYA language. Leave it on and let the others get used to it. They may eventually come around.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks for that info! Well that's good to know that you can leave it on that long. I read about it getting overheated if it's too low. The other cats have 3 other water bowls around the house to drink from so I'm not too worried about if they don't drink from it. It's serving its purpose as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again for your recommendation on this one! My girl gives it two thumbs up

Old 07-30-2010, 06:46 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,664,302 times
I'm lucky that my cat is totally fine with the 2 stainless steel water bowls (1 downstairs, 1 upstairs). They were originally my dog's water bowls but the kitty only wanted to drink out of those because that's what she saw the dog do! And she doesn't know about running water/faucets. She doesn't get up on the counters :-)

Old 07-30-2010, 07:01 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
I tend to avoid gadgets, after years of trying them only to load them into the car for the next Goodwill trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats