Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,147,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
Cats that spend a significant amount of time outside often require less maintenance because they may go to the bathroom outside, shed less hair in your house, and may need less play-time when they return after an exciting day outside. In addition, outdoor cats are sometimes more fit than their indoor counterparts, who tend to burn a hole in their favorite sofa.
Well, why didn't you say it was a "maintenance" issue?

After all, the less "play-time" we have to provide for our cats, surely that's ... well, more convenient, no? And the bonus is that we have to vacuum less too. Well, I'll be darned. Hadn't thought of that.

I mean after all, 'tis a bit of a bother when they want you to throw crinkly balls or require you to wind up one of their clockwork toys. Chucking them outside does usually solve this problem, that's very true.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
It sounds like you haven't read the OP's posts.
I did. I see a woman who asked a simple question. Has she not been villified for 1. Allowing her cat outdoors 2. not spaying a 7 week old 3. allowing her old cat to be intimidated by the said kitten while she is here seeking help for said old cat 4. attacked as a snob who flaunts wealth because she suggested her neighborhood and home are ideal and safe because they are just that---well-maintained, high-class, safe. (A cat roaming in a ghetto isn't less safe than one in a crime-free organized and neighborly one?) If you don't think so--I have a bridge in Brooklyn....

Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
I did. I see a woman who asked a simple question. Has she not been villified for 1. Allowing her cat outdoors 2. not spaying a 7 week old 3. allowing her old cat to be intimidated by the said kitten while she is here seeking help for said old cat 4. attacked as a snob who flaunts wealth because she suggested her neighborhood and home are ideal and safe because they are just that---well-maintained, high-class, safe. (A cat roaming in a ghetto isn't less safe than one in a crime-free organized and neighborly one?) If you don't think so--I have a bridge in Brooklyn....
Wow. I would venture to say a cat in the ghetto might be safer. At least they don't have to deal with mountain lions and coyotes. The OP was offered advice and instead decided to flaunt her wealth as you pointed out in #4. That is where most of us took offense. It was her ATTITUDE about being so wealthy. If you can't see that then I'll trade you your bridge in Brooklyn for a bridge To No Where.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Wow. I would venture to say a cat in the ghetto might be safer. At least they don't have to deal with mountain lions and coyotes. The OP was offered advice and instead decided to flaunt her wealth as you pointed out in #4. That is where most of us took offense. It was her ATTITUDE about being so wealthy. If you can't see that then I'll trade you your bridge in Brooklyn for a bridge To No Where.
I beg to differ. She was attacked well before the wealth stuff came into play.
That happened after. Take a look at posts 4-5-6- She has had no constructive suggestions at that point (and it continues) and all she said about her home was that it was in a "nice" area.,

That bridge is still available----lions and coyotes not withstanding-- that is a threat that can be evaluated. You really believe her cat is in more danger than a ghetto stray? This poster was done a disservice IMHO.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ. She was attacked well before the wealth stuff came into play.
That happened after. Take a look at posts 4-5-6- She has had no constructive suggestions at that point (and it continues) and all she said about her home was that it was in a "nice" area.,

That bridge is still available----lions and coyotes not withstanding-- that is a threat that can be evaluated. You really believe her cat is in more danger than a ghetto stray? This poster was done a disservice IMHO.
Ahhh...I get it now. So you think everyone who lives in the ghetto is dangerous? That wealthy people are less dangerous? The posters on here did not make it an issue of class and wealth, the OP did that all on her own. And I checked out posts 4-5-6 and I don't have a problem with them. She was informed of the dangers of keeping cats outside and information pertaining to the life span of outdoor kitties vs. indoor kitties. What's so wrong with that? This is a forum where differing opinions pop up. If someone already has their mind made up then why go on a forum looking for advice?

And as for your "bridge" I'm not interested in any real estate you're offering. That's getting old, find a new catch phrase.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Ahhh...I get it now. So you think everyone who lives in the ghetto is dangerous? That wealthy people are less dangerous? The posters on here did not make it an issue of class and wealth, the OP did that all on her own. And I checked out posts 4-5-6 and I don't have a problem with them. She was informed of the dangers of keeping cats outside and information pertaining to the life span of outdoor kitties vs. indoor kitties. What's so wrong with that? This is a forum where differing opinions pop up. If someone already has their mind made up then why go on a forum looking for advice?

And as for your "bridge" I'm not interested in any real estate you're offering. That's getting old, find a new catch phrase.
Now don't get funny with generalizations. This thread was turned into a kind of class warfare at some point and I am not a part of that. So-ok--living in an affluent suburb is more dangerous than the ghetto. I acquiesce. That doesn't change the general tone of this thread from its beginning. Those posts did not kindly give info and did not follow the general sympathetic quality and helpfulness of posts here.

She was not asking about spaying, outside/inside or anything else except how to harmonize the new kitten with the older cat. So that is why she went on the forum. And that is why she offerred a differing point of view about outdoor/indoor and the other stuff that was thrown at her.This is just one of the helpful comments she received:
"I'm guessing you let your kitten run loose unsupervised outside before having it tested by a vet, or fixed/neutered/spayed, as well? So it can start populating your beautiful country with more unwanted kittens."

Old 07-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Now don't get funny with generalizations. This thread was turned into a kind of class warfare at some point and I am not a part of that. So-ok--living in an affluent suburb is more dangerous than the ghetto. I acquiesce. That doesn't change the general tone of this thread from its beginning. Those posts did not kindly give info and did not follow the general sympathetic quality and helpfulness of posts here.

She was not asking about spaying, outside/inside or anything else except how to harmonize the new kitten with the older cat. So that is why she went on the forum. And that is why she offerred a differing point of view about outdoor/indoor and the other stuff that was thrown at her.This is just one of the helpful comments she received:
"I'm guessing you let your kitten run loose unsupervised outside before having it tested by a vet, or fixed/neutered/spayed, as well? So it can start populating your beautiful country with more unwanted kittens."
Hmmm...it was you who brought up the ghetto...so that makes you part of it.

I see nothing wrong with the quote you included. It's highly irresponsible to let any cat run loose without having it tested by a vet for diseases or spayed/neutered. It's also very disrespectful to one's neighbors, who have to put up with these cats using their gardens as litter boxes. However, if one chooses to let their cats be outdoor cats then the responsible thing to do is make sure your cat can't spread disease and contribute to the cat population.

Tama, you and I will never agree about the OP. This is just a waste of your time and my time.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Over the years, I have rescued outdoor cats due to starvation, illness, abuse, being hurt, and/or near death status. Presently, I have them all in my home, a very nice home, thank you. And not one, and I have ELEVEN wild cats out of my 15, will NOT run out the door. I have even tested them, by holding the door open just to see what they would do. Yes, risky, but in the end, I was truly satisfied that they have CHOSEN house over outside. And these cats were BORN in the wild.

What does that say to you????

It's people such as yourself who create problems.

What I would really LOVE to say, I will not, for I try to follow the rules here. IF you have seen the agonies I have witnessed in the cats that I have rescued, IF you have sweat blood to save their lives, maybe even you, OP, would have a change of heart. There is NO control over your cat out in the open, and disaster can strike in a blink of an eye!

Old 07-22-2010, 07:18 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Quote:
So-ok--living in an affluent suburb is more dangerous than the ghetto. I acquiesce.
HUH??? (scratching head) What????

My gosh! This thread is common sense gone haywire! It must be the heat getting the best of everyone!

Old 07-22-2010, 08:14 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:

She has been told that allowing a 7 week old kitten to roam outdoors, without shots and without being spayed, is dangerous for the kitten, and I agree completely. Kittens should have ALL shots and be fixed prior to letting them roam. Period. If this is "villification", then I guess our definitions are quite opposed. No, I don't agree with letting cats roam either way, young or old, shots or not, but that's my opinion and I don't think it's out of line for those who also feel this way to express it on a public forum. If she only wanted advice on how to integrate the 2 cats, then she should have stuck to that subject and not made comments about indoor cats being "prisoners"...that opened a whole can of worms IMO. And if she truly cared about integrating the cats and being fair to the elder one, she might have listened to some of the advice and been willing to be more active in their lives instead of banning them from the house and leaving everything to chance.

As for the wealth thing, as Ouigeewoman pointed out, that was all the OP's doing. She is the one who decided to flaunt her lifestyle, and she is the one who has implied that a person who doesn't live up to the same qualifications in this sphere should refrain from getting cats. Sorry, but I'm not going to apologize for calling her out on that, and neither should anyone else. We are free to express our opinions. That is what forums are all about.

Finally, the whole idea of someone's husband or wife making a snap decision in 5 minutes to take an animal in without any kind of planning or conversation beforehand is very telling...it tells me that the extent of the "care" involved here is minimal...food, vet, salon, and garage. Why talk about getting a kitten prior to getting it if it's only going to be a nighttime garage guest anyway, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats