Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
HUH??? (scratching head) What????

My gosh! This thread is common sense gone haywire! It must be the heat getting the best of everyone!

Uh--that was sarcastic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 08:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
She has been told that allowing a 7 week old kitten to roam outdoors, without shots and without being spayed, is dangerous for the kitten, and I agree completely. Kittens should have ALL shots and be fixed prior to letting them roam. Period. If this is "villification", then I guess our definitions are quite opposed. No, I don't agree with letting cats roam either way, young or old, shots or not, but that's my opinion and I don't think it's out of line for those who also feel this way to express it on a public forum. If she only wanted advice on how to integrate the 2 cats, then she should have stuck to that subject and not made comments about indoor cats being "prisoners"...that opened a whole can of worms IMO. And if she truly cared about integrating the cats and being fair to the elder one, she might have listened to some of the advice and been willing to be more active in their lives instead of banning them from the house and leaving everything to chance.

As for the wealth thing, as Ouigeewoman pointed out, that was all the OP's doing. She is the one who decided to flaunt her lifestyle, and she is the one who has implied that a person who doesn't live up to the same qualifications in this sphere should refrain from getting cats. Sorry, but I'm not going to apologize for calling her out on that, and neither should anyone else. We are free to express our opinions. That is what forums are all about.

Finally, the whole idea of someone's husband or wife making a snap decision in 5 minutes to take an animal in without any kind of planning or conversation beforehand is very telling...it tells me that the extent of the "care" involved here is minimal...food, vet, salon, and garage. Why talk about getting a kitten prior to getting it if it's only going to be a nighttime garage guest anyway, right?
The tone--not the points--are what I was objecting to. You are free to give your opinion. My opinion is that this poster was not treated with respect.

How in the world do you know she neglects her pets because the spouse brought home a kitten? Another unfair assumption. He may have felt it needed rescuing. Would you have a discussion and hold a family seminar if you came across a kitten in serious need?

She is from a foreign country and was trying to express in a second language how her area is safe because she has good neighbors and she got a bit testy after all the attack. Maybe she, indeed, is a snob. But that doesn't change the original unfairness of the earlier responses.

But I agree with an earlier poster. There is no point to continuing this off-topic squabble.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
The tone--not the points--are what I was objecting to. You are free to give your opinion. My opinion is that this poster was not treated with respect.
So you agree with the points, yet you defend her because you didn't like the "tone" people used? When topics come up like the ones raised in this thread, emotions run hot, which is to be expected. People were trying to get some valid points across, but when a person doesn't want to listen and begins the defensive routine, the tone will change in an effort to make the person HEAR what they are trying to say. It's out of concern for the welfare of the cats...and that's why we're all here...for the CATS.

Quote:
How in the world do you know she neglects her pets because the spouse brought home a kitten? Another unfair assumption. He may have felt it needed rescuing. Would you have a discussion and hold a family seminar if you came across a kitten in serious need?
It's not just the fact that a kitten was brought into the mix so suddenly, it's also (and mainly) the fact that the kitten is out there roaming without any protection from the myriad of diseases that can kill a kitten whose immune system is not yet developed. It's irresponsible IMO. It is not an assumption that the cats are only allowed in the garage, it is not an assumption that the kitten was taken with little thought as to the safety of letting it roam freely or how its presence would affect the pre-existing cat, and it is not an assumption that the OP feels that, despite these things, she is better equipped to own cats than someone who has less money, lives in a less beautiful neighborhood, and allows their cat to live indoors...all these things are FACTS that the OP has stated all by herself.

Quote:
She is from a foreign country and was trying to express in a second language how her area is safe because she has good neighbors and she got a bit testy after all the attack. Maybe she, indeed, is a snob. But that doesn't change the original unfairness of the earlier responses.
Again, I really don't feel the responses can be called "unfair" if they're true.

Quote:
But I agree with an earlier poster. There is no point to continuing this off-topic squabble.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM

258 posts, read 421,892 times
Tama-

I think you miss the point that the OP simply is not living in reality. Neglecting to acknowledge that there will be dangers to outdoor cats regardless of how upscale a neighborhood is just downright delusional. I don't believe anyone implied that her neighborhood is LESS safe than a more urban neighborhood, simply that it is not void of dangers that are NOT present indoors.

And the very idea that a cat would somehow enjoy the beauty of the outdoors is just beyond comprehension. What on earth leads a person to believe that a cat looks up and thinks "Oh what pretty trees we have here!"? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if cats preferred an area with "beautiful nature" that strays and ferals would inherently end up congregating in these areas?

Particularly in a neighborhood where, according to the OP, apparently everyone just LOVES cats and has outdoor cats- meaning food would be readily available? This is not the case. And if it were, would in fact make the outdoor cats more susceptible to infectious illnesses.

~Katy

Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM

541 posts, read 1,340,540 times
ok...sorry,i was busy..hier is the situation right now..both old cat and kitten are doing absolutely great...the kitten is growing,very happy,playing around,got used to the old cat..during the day they play outside and nights they both sleep in the 3 car garage (plenty of room),very peacefully,because everything is divided...and they respect each other..one cat tree belongs to the big one,one to the little one,every corner of the garage seem to be divided..everyone has his territory and it is no more fight,no chase,nothing in this direction...they are very sweet playing together....i am very happy..they get a lot of love and attention,especially from junior and kids visiting...so they are doing absolutely great..and yes,i was told to give them separate dish for water and food,so they eat separately,but sometimes the little one comes to teh big one and he is not chased away...

now to this outdoor thing..it is known,that cats do not go too far away from home,if they are outdoor...the bigger the properties,the shorter the distance the cat will go away (i mean he will make it to 2,3 neighborhs)..because properties in napa valley are so big,the cat most likely made it 2,3 houses farther (and that is why i mentioned teh neighborhood i lived in,not to impress you..it does not bring me anything to impresse anybody hier..what i wanted to say thorugh it,was that the properties are wide spread and beautiful and would be cruel not to let an animal outside in such an environment)...it is not that the cat,now goes outdoor in the morning,come back evening,after enjoing all the neighborhood,they go and come back...they tend to stay pretty close to their home...if you live in a neighborhood ,where houses are wide spread and have huge yards (like in napa with wineyards in fornt and big teritories),it is most likely the cat will make it to 2,3 maybe 4 properties farther,but no more...you can have an image,if you go on google,type napa valley images...you will see properties are wide spread with wineyards and so on...
yes,a cat enjoy the nature...kakers...he jumps on the trees,plays with leaves,there is a lot to discover in a big garden with trees and creek and so on...let a cat on such environment and then you will no wonder any more..

my old cat is very healthy,very good developed,because soo much training outside,he is a beauty...infectious illnesses???no....absolutely healthy...and in such environment i simply do not see any danger and neither does my vet,who is a profesional and has the same opinion about it...i am sorry,but these are facts...not bla bla bla...my cat is an outdoor cat and he is doing absolutely great...i would not take his liberty for nothing in the world!

Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
ok...sorry,i was busy..hier is the situation right now..both old cat and kitten are doing absolutely great...the kitten is growing,very happy,playing around,got used to the old cat..during the day they play outside and nights they both sleep in the 3 car garage (plenty of room),very peacefully,because everything is divided...and they respect each other..one cat tree belongs to the big one,one to the little one,every corner of the garage seem to be divided..everyone has his territory and it is no more fight,no chase,nothing in this direction...they are very sweet playing together....i am very happy..they get a lot of love and attention,especially from junior and kids visiting...so they are doing absolutely great..and yes,i was told to give them separate dish for water and food,so they eat separately,but sometimes the little one comes to teh big one and he is not chased away...

now to this outdoor thing..it is known,that cats do not go too far away from home,if they are outdoor...the bigger the properties,the shorter the distance the cat will go away (i mean he will make it to 2,3 neighborhs)..because properties in napa valley are so big,the cat most likely made it 2,3 houses farther (and that is why i mentioned teh neighborhood i lived in,not to impress you..it does not bring me anything to impresse anybody hier..what i wanted to say thorugh it,was that the properties are wide spread and beautiful and would be cruel not to let an animal outside in such an environment)...it is not that the cat,now goes outdoor in the morning,come back evening,after enjoing all the neighborhood,they go and come back...they tend to stay pretty close to their home...if you live in a neighborhood ,where houses are wide spread and have huge yards (like in napa with wineyards in fornt and big teritories),it is most likely the cat will make it to 2,3 maybe 4 properties farther,but no more...you can have an image,if you go on google,type napa valley images...you will see properties are wide spread with wineyards and so on...
yes,a cat enjoy the nature...kakers...he jumps on the trees,plays with leaves,there is a lot to discover in a big garden with trees and creek and so on...let a cat on such environment and then you will no wonder any more..

my old cat is very healthy,very good developed,because soo much training outside,he is a beauty...infectious illnesses???no....absolutely healthy...and in such environment i simply do not see any danger and neither does my vet,who is a profesional and has the same opinion about it...i am sorry,but these are facts...not bla bla bla...my cat is an outdoor cat and he is doing absolutely great...i would not take his liberty for nothing in the world!
By any chance, do you use Silverado Vet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats