Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:49 PM

258 posts, read 421,996 times

Advertisements

Perhaps instead of a license fee, they should help with population control and require cats to be spayed or neutered, and for anyone refusing to have to register and pay fees as a breeder. A few people would pay the fee because for whatever reason they don't want their pet fixed. And instead of bringing in more revenue, they'd be cutting expenses by cutting down on the stray population (could reduce animal control budget a little) and cutting down on the number of kittens in their shelters.

~Katy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 06:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
Perhaps instead of a license fee, they should help with population control and require cats to be spayed or neutered, and for anyone refusing to have to register and pay fees as a breeder. A few people would pay the fee because for whatever reason they don't want their pet fixed. And instead of bringing in more revenue, they'd be cutting expenses by cutting down on the stray population (could reduce animal control budget a little) and cutting down on the number of kittens in their shelters.

~Katy
Thats a good idea but keep in mind these are politicians that make these laws. Politicians are like diapers. They are all full of crap.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
First of all why is it so unacceptable? Dogs need to be licensed. So many people allow their cats to roam free. Many get hit by cars, damage landscaping or get in the neighbors trash. The license would identify the cat's owner.
I had a screen on my sliding door destroyed by the neighbors cat. For what ever reason it liked to do that claw sharpening thing on my screen. The neighbor? Prove it was my cat...
The license would have done the trick.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
First of all why is it so unacceptable? Dogs need to be licensed. So many people allow their cats to roam free. Many get hit by cars, damage landscaping or get in the neighbors trash. The license would identify the cat's owner.
I had a screen on my sliding door destroyed by the neighbors cat. For what ever reason it liked to do that claw sharpening thing on my screen. The neighbor? Prove it was my cat...
The license would have done the trick.
Cats like screens. I have had to replace a few of mine over the yrs. Stray dogs also get hit by cars, etc. If my cats were outdoors i would get a collar & name tag for them. Its alot cheaper then a license. I just dont see how this can be enforced for people with indoor only cats like me. I sure wouldnt tell the city & no way in hell would i ever let them into my home. I just dont trust the govts.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:14 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Cats like screens. I have had to replace a few of mine over the yrs. Stray dogs also get hit by cars, etc. If my cats were outdoors i would get a collar & name tag for them. Its alot cheaper then a license. I just dont see how this can be enforced for people with indoor only cats like me. I sure wouldnt tell the city & no way in hell would i ever let them into my home. I just dont trust the govts.
LOL I though maybe my screen had a cat lure on it or something.
I see your point and agrre to a point. Strays are not licensed because they are strays.
The same can be said of cats,howerever, many cat owners simply opt to allow their cats to roam free. Most dog owners do not.
Indoor cats could be exempt, except isn't that what anyone would say if their cat were caught without a license? He/she is an indoor cat that got out?

Old 07-21-2010, 01:26 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
My town requires pet licensing every year but it's just $10 per animal. The problem is they don't really enforce it and it's really difficult to remember to do it every January. They also don't seem to keep records so if you contact the City Council asking them, "Did I do it already this year?" nobody can you tell you

Old 07-21-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
My town requires pet licensing every year but it's just $10 per animal. The problem is they don't really enforce it and it's really difficult to remember to do it every January. They also don't seem to keep records so if you contact the City Council asking them, "Did I do it already this year?" nobody can you tell you
Thats odd that the city dont keep records of the pet licenses. I bet they keep records of people who dont pay the city dues. Just another reason why i dislike most politicians & many lazy & rude govt workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats