Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,953,821 times

Advertisements

you have a good point .... i guess that where i was coming from was back in the day, more often, pets were more often just that .... a pet .... and not so much a member of the family as many are these days....

i don't know ... i could be totally bass-ackwards....

oh, and i am a 1960 model....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 03:54 PM

216 posts, read 826,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
you have a good point .... i guess that where i was coming from was back in the day, more often, pets were more often just that .... a pet .... and not so much a member of the family as many are these days....

i don't know ... i could be totally bass-ackwards....

oh, and i am a 1960 model....
I am from 1959...
I guess we are both right. The dogs my grandparents had when I was a young child (and living with them) were both "rescues", one was always chained up at a pub until my grandmother asked if they could have him, and the other one they found wandering in the woods, checked with the forester and so forth, and kept her. Both were already very old when I was born, and since this was Germany and not the U.S., we are talking right after WWII, a time when the average person probably had other things on their mind than "acquiring" a pet to take care of.
I think I just inherited my grandmother's nuttiness for all critters, my cats are not "pets" or working animals, I consider them my companions who were born feral in the backyard and I take care of them, yeah, we're family .
I guess there were always animal people and not so animal folks.
And back then, in the day, cats and dogs were just "around", I don't think there were pet stores, nobody spayed or neutered, but the population was kept somewhat at bay because the pet industry was not a money making business, and dogs and cats were exposed more to their natural predators.
Nowadays cats and dogs are often considered a fashion item (I hear the shelters in CA have a huge problem with Chihuahuas...) , or otherwise material thing.
And just like the worn out couch or washing machine they end up on Craigslist...

Old 12-11-2010, 06:28 AM

18 posts, read 39,442 times
it's looking so cute.thnx for this sharing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats