Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:02 PM

17 posts, read 68,553 times

Advertisements

Thanks Hanna!
The car is a bit of a worry. Monday night after arrangements were made I had car crash dreams! Nothing specific, just dreams. I usually do not remember dreams. I would still be concerned about getting him through an airport. Funny I searched Wisconsin and nothing came up for the I-131 for cats. When I talked to the U of M, their stay days were the same as in 2004, 3 to 4 weeks, so I would imagine this clinic there would be about the same as they were too, 11 days. It has something to do with the State regulations on radio-active materials. Heck of a good suggestion though and I thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 03:55 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I live in WI but the vet I used is by the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport; in Richfield, MN. It might have been closer for you if you live n the Cities, but he did keep Bo 11 days.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:28 PM

OH! YES I did misunderstand! My Bad! (MSP (!) for some reason I was thinking Milwaukee!) We are about 250 miles North of the Cities, but that would beat 8 hours to Iowa, if their stay time is down. I know of Richfield, well part of it anyway. Would it be possible to send me their name and or website? They did not come up in any search. I could always change the appointment! But he is not going to stay 11 days, but I would like to check it out. It would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Default Radioactive Iodine Therapy for Hyperthyroid

Update on my Woody kitty! He went to Iowa on Sept. 27th, he returned on Oct. 1st. A bit frazzled, but home and doing well. They found a mild UTI and started treatment for that while he was there. We are going now into our second week home. I am on another board and was expecting a slumbering kitty who was still going to eat at the rate of speed. No, not my boy! He paced for days, hollered for, well actually still is pretty vocal, and his food consumption is down from the 7 plates a day to maybe 4. The litter box has been a fun experience for sure! Other than that I have to say, this is probably one of the best decisions I have made in my life. We will retest the T-4 levels in about 3 weeks. Hopefully by then the levels (that I think must still be a tad bit high) will be dropping. We had no problems with the other two kitties, either missing him nor hissing when he returned. I actually found a cat whisperer who talked and sang to him while he was gone. She has continued to communicate with him and reports he is a happy very content little boy of 11. We did find he likes songs I'd never sung him. Too funny! Thanks to all here for all the help and advice. Invaluable.

Lilly

Old 10-16-2010, 08:24 AM

45 posts, read 96,722 times
Mine was 14 when diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. He's easy to pill but I do the ear cream just to make it easier on him. He's had no side effects from the methimazole cream.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
So glad it worked out well. Our old boy is 3 years post procedure and doing GREAT. We are really glad we went this route.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM

Miss NM,

I am already happy we did this! Just starting to see what resembles normal, the normal we use to see, ah probably over a year ago, even though the diagnoses was March of this year. Think he had this for some time before I managed to get a clue! I'll know better next time should this ever happen again! Thanks again to all of you!

Old 04-18-2011, 12:37 PM

135 posts, read 566,461 times
I'm really interested in peoples thoughts regarding my situation. Our cat recently tested positive for hyperthyroidism. She is 18-19 years old. We were given the similar options regarding treatment. Pills, injection, surgery. I'm concerned both because of her age and her disdain for pills. I understand that the injections are best but when you're talking about 1200 to 1300 dollars for the treatment I really have to consider how much longer she will live. I would consider the pills but I've never been able to get her to take a medication as she absolutely hates it. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and eating the cost of the injection but wanted to hear some other thoughts.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric99gt View Post
I'm really interested in peoples thoughts regarding my situation. Our cat recently tested positive for hyperthyroidism. She is 18-19 years old. We were given the similar options regarding treatment. Pills, injection, surgery. I'm concerned both because of her age and her disdain for pills. I understand that the injections are best but when you're talking about 1200 to 1300 dollars for the treatment I really have to consider how much longer she will live. I would consider the pills but I've never been able to get her to take a medication as she absolutely hates it. I'm leaning towards biting the bullet and eating the cost of the injection but wanted to hear some other thoughts.
The methimazole comes in a transdermal application. It is a little pen filled with the medicine, with an applicator tip. No measuring required, you turn the pen until the desired dose emerges. The cream is rubbed into the upper part of the cat's ear.

It's not cheap, but if pilling will cause her undue stress, this method may work for you.

When you say injection are you talking about the radio-iodine therapy? If you can afford it, and it won't cause her too much stress to be away from home for a few days, and her kidneys are healthy, that is what I would choose, also.

Keep us posted on your kitty!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Default Trans-dermals

Personally Eric I would go with the Trans-dermals, but not the pen style. You have better control over the syringe type application. The Vet will still have to write a prescription, but you can buy them over the Internet way cheaper than through your Vet. Although it is not proper etiquette to send you other places, I am going to be illegal here and highly suggest you join the HT board on yahoo.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-hyperT/

Join now! You will not be sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats