Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:44 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,312 times

Advertisements

He he! I'm glad Max and Chloe found a wonderful home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,214,075 times
I hope you all have a long wonderful time together - Congratulations!

I would like to know where there is somewhere that Craigslist isn't awash in kittens. Craigslist here has a bazillion.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 PM

258 posts, read 421,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Yes, but then you're not buying them from the pet store, you're rescuing them, which is a profound difference.

Our local pet store also has adoption days and both cats and dogs are from area rescue groups. As far as I know, the store donates their space and does not profit from adoption fees.
I am fairly positive that what she meant was that the ADOPTION FEES would have been $160. I don't think she implied the store itself would be profiting.

~Katy

Old 07-20-2010, 07:29 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
I got one of my dogs off craigslist. The woman had too many dogs to keep her brothers dog when he was redeployed and when my fence did not arrive in time she pulled the add and waited a couple of months. If she had not been listed there I wouldn't have a happy dog. My other dog is very old, and trying to make that decision about her. but when she is gone I want to get a younger dog pammy can play with, and will likely look there. In some areas its hard to find places to offer animals needing a new home, which is pretty much the way it is here. I know the rescue dogs have someone caring for them and will find a home someway. I don't know about those desperate to find a home for dogs the rescue places don't have room for.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
If her petsmart is like mine, their cats are from local rescue groups.
Thats what it is... with the Humane Society

Old 07-20-2010, 09:32 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,216 times
What beautiful cats you have! I too recently ended up w/ two kittens, and they are best of friends. I hope that lady on CL will spay her cat to prevent even more kittens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
If her petsmart is like mine, their cats are from local rescue groups.
One of mine is from Petsmart, which has a local rescue group bring their kittens/cats in for adoption.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
we adopted our most recent out of the top of a tree. Max and Chloe must be 7 months older than little bit but she is almost Chloes size now!

Old 07-22-2010, 11:50 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,815 times
One of my cats, Archie, came from CL. He was one of those "Free Cats". At the time I was starting to think about getting a kitten from a rescue group, but my husband could not get off work in time to get to the group by 5 pm, at which time they closed. I wasn't "Seriously" looking, but I saw poor little Archie and that was it. We went to see him and even though he was scared as can be and ran away to hide, we took him. The man who was giving him away did not even ask ONE question of us. Turns out my little Archie has a heart murmur and this "Free Cat" has already cost us many hundreds of $ in his first year. Which is fine, I wouldn't have it any other way, but try to care for him the best we can, so he can have a good life, even if it turns out to be a shorter than we hope.

I now volunteer for a cat rescue group and they charge $150 for a kitten, which includes all the shots, worming etc and spay or neuter. (adults are $100 which includes spay/neuter etc)Many people think this is a lot of money, but in fact it is a bargain. Just the neuter for Archie was more than that amount, let alone everything else.

I am sure some of the animals that are advertised on CL get very good homes, but many do not. A lot of people will get an animal on impulse, because they look cute and they are "Free", but once the puppy or kitten grows up then they dump them off with groups like the one I volunteer for or another shelter, where they might be killed. Our local CL has many, many cats and kittens, dogs and puppies up and it makes me so sad to see so many unwanted animals. I hate to think of the fate of some of them. Not too long ago, someone right here in this area (MA) was convicted of getting animals from CL and torturing them to death .

Glad to hear some of the happy stories on here, about people finding their furry friends on CL.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats