Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times

Advertisements

A local shelter emailed me yesterday to say they're in desperate need of foster homes for cats recovering from ringworm. They're the only shelter in the state that will take cats with ringworm, and they're at capacity with their current foster homes.

I've never had a cat, let alone an animal with ringworm.

Nearly everyone I've mention this to has had unfavorable responses when I've expressed interest in helping out, but honestly, despite the fact that my dog or I could contract ringworm ourselves (which the shelter has already address and said will treat), what is the harm in doing this? It's only a 4-6 week commitment.

Thoughts, criticism, and support are appreciated. I think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
You run the risk of you and your dog contracting it, and it's hard to get rid of. If you have spare bathrooms to keep them in, it would be easier, cleaningwise. You'll be in for lots of continual cleaning and laundry, not to mention the treatment of the ringworm itself.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
My younger cat had ringworm when I found him, in addition to lots of other nasty parasites. I had to keep him locked in the bathroom for two weeks, to prevent spreading to myself or my other cat. Lots of handwashing and cleaning later...but, if you're willing to do that, I think it would be a terrific thing to do.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
It's a noble thing you want to do. And I agree on the keeping the cats somewhere safe from the dog.

But here's my two cents on what to do.

When you do your laundry wash everything in HOT water and use a powdered detergent like Tide. My mom is a retired respiratory therapist and she would wash all her hospital clothes in hot water. And keep your cat laundry separate from your normal laundry in dirty storage and in the wash.

And while I'm not a fan on anti-bacterial soap on a daily basis I would use a darn good one and then SCRUB your hands in warm water for 30 seconds each wash after handling the kittens. And when I say scrub, I mean scrub under your nails with a nail brush, up your wrists, back of your hands and on up to your forearm. Even if you wear gloves, scrub the same afterwards. Use a towel to dry your hands once and in the wash it goes or use paper towels.

And as for cleaning hard surfaces- either get something at a medical or janitorial supply that kills everything in sight or use the bleach and water mixture.

I hope all goes well for you and the kittens!

Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Good advice, Chasey!

I'd also wear some kind of long garment with long sleeves (a robe maybe?) and DEFINITELY gloves while handling the cats. I've handled kittens with ringworm, but between gloves, long sleeves, and good, strong anti-bacterial soap it didn't stand a chance. Others at the center who did NOT wear gloves caught it. If the local shelter has any "Vindicator", maybe they'd let you bring in a spray bottle and they could mix the solution for you...(very important to get the ratio right on this!) I would spray this lightly on my scrubs before moving onto the next patient and going home after a shift, it kills virtually EVERYthing. This could also be used for the cleaning of all hard surfaces and "spritzed" on any fabric, etc.

Have the cats already been treated with a dip? Have they run any cultures since the initial diagnosis? If they have, then hopefully the ringworm is on its way out the door and you can just focus on having some fun with your new foster kitties!

Thank you SO MUCH for considering helping them!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
A friend of mine and her husband are fighting this. After seeing the doctor it appears the humans have a different but similar fungal infection and the cats (5) ringworm. They aren't sure how they contracted either since they are all indoor cats.

But she is a mess and now every time a cat is touched, you have to wash.They are going to have to wash every last surface once they get over theirs and the cats theirs.

She uses melaluka oil both on cats and surfaces. Its both anti fungal and anti viral. And not poisionous to cats.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:34 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Please be aware- ringworm is a FUNGUS not a BACTERIA. Unless your anti-bacterial soap is also anti-fungal, it will do no more good than regular soap. It will still remove the ringworm from your hands, but will not kill it. So you will need to thoroughly clean any sinks you use with an anti-fungal as well. Wonder if Clorox kills fungus...will have to look that up. HIGHLY recommend wearing gloves!
Do you plan to take one kitten at a time, or keep several? If more than one, it would be a good idea to use separate cages so they don't re-infect each other.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:46 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post

Nearly everyone I've mention this to has had unfavorable responses when I've expressed interest in helping out

I've treated both animals and humans for ringworm. It just requires common sense, attention to detail and precautionary hygiene, but falls far short of requiring a PhD - which is just as well really.

But true, most people aren't too keen to invite a fungal infection into the house.

Bathrooms are ideal for keeping ringworm patients due to washable surfaces. Just one word of caution if you have nice skirting boards or cabinets... ringworm can and does live in wood (which is why it's such a bugger when it gets into a stable). I have no idea how fungicide and nicely finished wood interact.

The dip stinks to high heaven, but it's very effective.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
Another good precaution: buy a few smock-type coverups to wear over your clothes when working with the cats. Clean these separately in an anti-fungal wash. Might consider washing by hand to keep spores out of your washing machine.
Good luck! I hope you have the resources to help out these poor kitties!

Old 07-24-2010, 02:32 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
My friend sent me this about what they are doing

You can post that the Melaleuca oil (tea tree oil) does seem to be working on the cats. We mix a few drops with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and apply it with a Qtip. Belle's crusty spots are looking less crusty, though the book on this says it can take several weeks. I think we are seeing reults already. And the Melaleuca soap does have Melaleuca oil in it, so it is antifungal.

They are using hot water and the soap with melaleuca to wash the stuff they put on chairs and couch (had the capture but accidently deleted it)

We use Melaleuca cleaners with Melaleuca oil in them and they have a disinfectant spray too, that kills virus, bacteria, and fungus. We are trying to beat this. (but on the bad side, it's killed my creativity. I can't write.)

I think the suggestions to keep the kittens in a bathroom is a very good one. Less to clean and your not taking the chance of spreading it wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats