Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I've been looking all over this thread, and I thought I saw it here, but now I am not able to find it. I have a question.

Why do some of you pick out carrots in cat food? What is wrong with carrots? I have googled this and come up with nothing, and in fact, everywhere I go says carrots are good for cats to eat. Yes, I know they are vegetable. But, some of Weruva's foods have carrots in them. Catsmom21, why do you pick the carrots out? Like I said, I am not able to find any data that says carrots are bad.

What I learned in nutrition in college (studying human nutrition) I leaned that peas, carrots, and corn are all vegetables that are the highest in sugars, and will turn into sugar in the body. If there is an excess of sugar in the body, sugar will affect the kidneys and also can and is stored as adipose tissue. Is this why you are picking out carrots in the cat food?
Harley loves fruit and veggies...strange, I know, but if I'm eating a banana and don't give her at least a tiny bit mushed between my fingers she'll yowl like I'm depriving her of something priceless, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 02:16 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Actually, the major source of taurine is the small intestine. It doesn't come from the head at all. It is a product of bile, which is formed in the digestive system.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:29 PM

I do agree Garden, that vegetable matter is an important part of a balanced diet for *domesticated* felines. That was my entire premise in all the previous threads I've posted in. That cats in the wild eat differently from domesticated animals, because cats in the wild are - wild. No one is feeding them. They aren't staying in the house. They have miles and miles of land in upon which they roam, they kill their suppers, they bury their leftovers for the next day in DIRT...they don't cook their meals, they do gnaw on the fresh, marrow-rich bones of their prey, and they -do- graze on grass to help with their digestion, because an *exclusively* meat diet (without the benefit of stomach contents or grass, or dirt containing important minerals) would likely cause digestive problems in poor Leo. They don't merely chew grass. Their saliva (as sparse as it may be) mixes with those grasses, and they swallow it, and ingest the "juice" which is rich in chlorophyll and other vital digestive aids.

They eat what they eat, how they eat, because they are designed to do that. But once you bring Leo into the house and call him Fluffy, he can no longer do what he is designed to do. And so - you have to add supplements. And minerals. And yes, vegetables. Which the cat *needs* in order to thrive, because he is no longer wild, no longer killing his supper, no longer chomping on sahara grasses, no longer roaming over miles of terrain for regular exercise every day.

That was what I've been saying all along. And that's why I was so confused when I saw that these brand names that people are saying are the only good ones - contain all those things they keep saying cats can't eat, or should never eat, or should avoid, or are bad for them, all in the name of "obligate carnivore."

So then the answer is yes: domesticated felines DO require nutrients that are available in vegetable matter, that, because they are domesticated and not wild, they must have, to supplement their primary staple of meat (raw or otherwise). And that foods containing vegetable matter are not bad for kitty, and in fact are probably important for kitty to eat, because without it, kitty would likely suffer. Since - he is not wild, and does not live as wild cats live in the wild.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:52 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Actually, the major source of taurine is the small intestine. It doesn't come from the head at all. It is a product of bile, which is formed in the digestive system.
Huh? My information tells me the main source of Taurine is brain and heart. Anon, could you lead me to your source of information? Now I am scratching my head.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
So then the answer is yes: domesticated felines DO require nutrients that are available in vegetable matter, that, because they are domesticated and not wild, they must have, to supplement their primary staple of meat (raw or otherwise). And that foods containing vegetable matter are not bad for kitty, and in fact are probably important for kitty to eat, because without it, kitty would likely suffer. Since - he is not wild, and does not live as wild cats live in the wild.
Bingo! It all boils down to whether a cat is wild or domesticated. I still like the term obligate carnivore, but yet, it does tend to confuse you. This food issue with all it encompasses, does turn a person into :sm ack: and then some! Round and round and round.

Anon, I am a huge believer in intuition, and yes, a lot of smarts upstairs that are used. Key word here is used. I have for years researched, searched, "listened" and on my own, come up with what I "feel" is best for health compromised cats. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that my combined efforts are paying off, and yes, that most certainly includes diet.

Another example: Cats LOVE catnip and that is NOT meat source hehehehe. Is someone going to argue that one??? hehehehehehe That reminds me, it is most definitely catnip night in this house for my babies for they have been tremendously good! LOL LOL LOL Happy dance. Let's celebrate!!! (And give Mom an opportunity to watch a movie uninterrupted. )

Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 PM

Okay I think I see where you are confused about taurine, Garden. Taurine serves an important function TO the brain. It is also important for muscle support. But it does not come FROM the brain, or the muscles.

Wikipedia actually does a fair job explaining it but if you don't trust wiki (none of the cool kids do!) you can do a google on "where does taurine come from" and you'll see a few different explanations all saying the same thing.

Last edited by AnonChick; 03-11-2011 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: removed an erroneous bit about the parathyroid

Old 03-11-2011, 03:40 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Quote:
Okay I think I see where you are confused about taurine, Garden. Taurine serves an important function TO the brain. It is also important for muscle support. But it does not come FROM the brain, or the muscles.

Wikipedia actually does a fair job explaining it but if you don't trust wiki (none of the cool kids do!) you can do a google on "where does taurine come from" and you'll see a few different explanations all saying the same thing.
This is why I love this forum...I learn something new every time I come here!

I looked it up quickly, and am now thinking I need to supplement myself with taurine because I'm vegan, and I just read that vegans tend to be deficient in it ...good thing I ordered some last week for my animals and it's on the way, LOL!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I've been looking all over this thread, and I thought I saw it here, but now I am not able to find it. I have a question.

Why do some of you pick out carrots in cat food? What is wrong with carrots? I have googled this and come up with nothing, and in fact, everywhere I go says carrots are good for cats to eat. Yes, I know they are vegetable. But, some of Weruva's foods have carrots in them. Catsmom21, why do you pick the carrots out? Like I said, I am not able to find any data that says carrots are bad.

What I learned in nutrition in college (studying human nutrition) I leaned that peas, carrots, and corn are all vegetables that are the highest in sugars, and will turn into sugar in the body. If there is an excess of sugar in the body, sugar will affect the kidneys and also can and is stored as adipose tissue. Is this why you are picking out carrots in the cat food?
Yes, that is why I pick the carrots out. Carrots have no nutritional value to cats, and they convert to sugar very quickly once ingested. I don't want my cats eating sugar, even in the form of carrots.

Peas contain protein along with fiber, so at least have some nutritional value, though of course cats bodies are made to digest animal protein not legume protein.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:

Well, I'll be. Hmmmm......thanks, Anon. I will definitely research this later on, when I have more then 2 seconds on here. LOL Just like Luv says....I am always learning here on this forum.

HUGS

Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yes, that is why I pick the carrots out. Carrots have no nutritional value to cats, and they convert to sugar very quickly once ingested. I don't want my cats eating sugar, even in the form of carrots.

Peas contain protein along with fiber, so at least have some nutritional value, though of course cats bodies are made to digest animal protein not legume protein.
Thank YOU, C21!

HUGS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats