Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 06:24 PM

295 posts, read 1,213,267 times

Advertisements

FYI:
P&G is recalling some prescription cat food due to possible salmonella contamination:

Iams Veterinary Formulas Feline Renal 5.5 lbs
Lot Code: 01384174B4
UPC Code: 0 19014 21405 1

Iams Veterinary Formulas Feline Renal 5.5 lbs
Lot Code: 01384174B2
UPC Code: 0 19014 21405 1

This product is available by prescription through veterinary clinics throughout the U.S.

No illnesses have been reported. A FDA analysis identified a positive result on the lot codes listed above. Lot codes can be found in the lower right corner on the back of the bag.

You can view the full announcement here: Pet Food Recall: Iams Veterinary Formulas Feline Renal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,516 times
I'm not surprised. Iams is crap.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:46 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
I'm not surprised. Iams is crap.
I agree.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:53 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Yeah, gone are the days when Iams might have been good (years ago). Now it's all P&G-ified. This is what worries me now about all Natura brands, just recently taken over by Procter & Gamble (Innova, Evo, California Natural, etc.) Nothing has changed about Natura manufacturing yet, but what about when P&G tries to ramp up more sales for these brands?

Iams/Eukanuba=Procter & Gamble. Hills/Science Diet=Colgate Palmolive. While these conglomerates do research and develop useful products, they are primarily brand development and sales organizations. Royal Canin=Mars, Purina=Nestle. Mars and Nestle are at least more food-oriented companies, but otherwise it's probably not that different. Both large companies make a lot of crap human food as well as a lot of crap pet food (under these and/or other brands).

Are there any other vet diet brands besides those four?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:13 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah, gone are the days when Iams might have been good (years ago). Now it's all P&G-ified. This is what worries me now about all Natura brands, just recently taken over by Procter & Gamble (Innova, Evo, California Natural, etc.) Nothing has changed about Natura manufacturing yet, but what about when P&G tries to ramp up more sales for these brands?

I, too am concerned about the recent P&G take over of Natura products. Supposedly they have signed a contract that they will not change the formulas for two years. However that doesn't stop them from reducing the quality of the ingredients in that "same formula" does it?

I stocked up, so have not had to buy a new batch since the buy out, but I will soon. My cat who gets the Innova flex is extremely finicky, and he will notice even the slightest change. It took ages to find this one food he eats so well, when it is changed I will be back to square one with him.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Iams is not good, and not sure how veterinarians ever got behind the product. Cats shouldn't be eating products with grain, they're carnivores! Grain, because of high carbs/sugars hinders a healthy renal system. Try Taste of The Wild, an excellent balanced high-protein dry food with a Salmon and Venison base. My cats love it, have lost weight, gained energy and their fur looks great! It's available at most better pet stores, though not at PETCO or PetSmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats