Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:04 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times

Advertisements

I would like someone to tell me at what age kittens are no longer nocturnal.

We spent 3 solid hours last night running Tippy Toes around. She chased the laser until she had to lay down & pant. We ran her until 11:00 and at 2:15 she was standing on my head, biting my eyelid, and purring. Are you kidding me? I finally got her to go away and she was back at 4:02 standing on my chest & biting my chin. And she was back again a little before 6:00, this time under the covers biting the back of my knee.

Now, I have no 2 legged children but I have heard that babies wake up every 2 hours. I did not know that 11 week old kittens did the same thing. I would close the bedroom door, but Buzz stands on whichever side he is on and yowls until you open it, so that is not an option.

We love Tippy Toes, but lack of sleep is starting to make us very cranky. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:46 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Sorry, I'm trying not to laugh as I write this--typical kitten behavior! And your description was priceless!

Fortunately, I adopted my cat when she was 8 months, so I didn't have to deal with the "terrible twos" of kittenhood. But even at 8 months, she would wake me up by "playing" on the bed at 2AM or just by standing over me as I slept, purring in my face.

I would actually try not to play with her so much before bedtime, as I think it is actually stimulating her. I would try to play with her more during the day, then transition her to her own space/quiet time around 8PM. You might even set up a separate area for her that includes a bed, lots of toys, etc.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Sorry, I'm trying not to laugh as I write this--typical kitten behavior! And your description was priceless!

Fortunately, I adopted my cat when she was 8 months, so I didn't have to deal with the "terrible twos" of kittenhood. But even at 8 months, she would wake me up by "playing" on the bed at 2AM or just by standing over me as I slept, purring in my face.

I would actually try not to play with her so much before bedtime, as I think it is actually stimulating her. I would try to play with her more during the day, then transition her to her own space/quiet time around 8PM. You might even set up a separate area for her that includes a bed, lots of toys, etc.
Great Advice Keep her up all day so she will sleep all night

Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Do you suppose I could bring her to work with me?

I was wondering if this was just her or if all kittens are like this. It sounds like an all kittens thing. I have had cats my whole life, but they have always been mature cats that have "found" me. This is my first kitten experience.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
AWW she loves you.... rittle bit does that to me til she calms down and snuggles in to sleep. I guess it helps that I have insomnia and sleep comes around 3am..

Old 07-27-2010, 12:10 PM

333 posts, read 1,063,691 times
LOL...luckily I have three...so they bother each other when they're up in the middle of the night!

So stinkin cute though...hard to get mad!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Nothing wrong with giving Tippy Toes a kitten time-out overnight. Just tuck her into the bathroom with food, water, small litter box, a super cozy place to sleep, and a couple of small toys that aren't too noisy, and leave her to her own devices for a time.

Of the three kittens we've had since we got Five (one keeper, two foster), we've always put the kitten into their own 'apartment' at night so that other felines and humans in the house could get a little break from that amazing 1.5 pound furry ball of total energy. Otherwise, Five starts to exhibit more stress behavior, and I want to keep his anxiety levels as low as reasonably possible.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:57 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
at 2:15 she was standing on my head, biting my eyelid, and purring.
Oh, my sweet Lord! She is so precious!

Sorry ... I know that doesn't help, but I can't help myself!

Of course she'll settle down as she gets older, but your sleep/wake patterns probably can't wait that long. When we first got ours, they'd chase each other up and down the stairs all night. Now that they're the mature age of 4, they sleep most of the night -- until around 4, which seems to be the magic hour at which all kitties worldwide awake and decide it's time to play, eat, or be snuggled.

Wish I had advice for you, but other than shutting the door and/or confining her to another room, I'm clueless.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, my sweet Lord! She is so precious!
Not exactly a word I would have chosen.....

Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
LOL! Sorry, but I have to chuckle because I have 2 that will wreak all kids of havoc and madness if I let them have run of the house at night, and I, like you, was very much deprived of sleep until I set up the guestroom as "their" room. At first, they were none too pleased, but once it became a ritual they started enjoying that room, and now they go in willingly at bedtime and I don't even have to bribe them with treats...BONUS! They are almost 2 and 1, respectively, and I don't see them calming down anytime soon. My 13 yr. old female is still quite the nocturnal Queen, but she's learned to NOT pat mommy on the face over and over again during "sleepytime"...she comes into the bedroom to snooze here and there and to watch over me and the dogs...last night she was annoyed because the Shih Tzus I'm petsitting right now were barking every 10 minutes, waking us all up...I think I've slept about 2 hours total...so I (and my chihuahuas) feel your pain! Let's hope we all get good rest tonight, LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats