Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 03:49 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

A feral Tom I have yet not ever been able to trap has had some sort of big sore on the back of one ear forever (like over a year). Its not pus sy, just a red, cracked painful looking mess. Its like I've been slowing watching his ear melt. He has almost no ear left and what is left is sort of cupped down. He rubs it on things so its quite obviously bothering him. I asked the vet about when I had the feral kittens in and he said something about ear mites and rubbing and no to a spray or globby stuff.
He will let you touch him. I would feel uncomfortable testing his scratch and bite inhibition by trying to hold him down or pick him up but I bet I could spray or maybe glob something on there. I don't get the ear mite thing - his other ear and other cats would have this sort of thing too no? Anyway I'm pretty squeamish and can't hardly look at it but am thinking there has got to be something that would at least provide some relief. And if he quit rubbing it maybe it would heal. If I can ever get him in a trap, yea I don't know what will happen - can cats live without an ear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 04:27 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Cats can live without an ear, sure - BUT it's the way this ear, potentially, would be lost that's more of a concern.

His immune system constantly fighting whatever's causing it is going is doing him no favours. I don't know where in the country you are, but during these hot months I'd be on the look out for fly strike too. If you've ever seen an animal loose bits of this and that from fly strike, I guarantee you, it's not pleasant.

The problem is that whatever you gob on to the back of his ear, he can lick off with a paw, so it's got to be something "internally friendly" as it were.

That's a tricky one. Effectively what you need is some sort of barrier type soothing/antibiotic creme that, ideally, has insect repellent (like you can buy by the bucket load for horses...) that is cat-safe. I know there was a discussion about the use of neosporin or similar with cats... but I missed the outcome.

Ask the vet?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:48 PM

The vet just said bring him in.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:49 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Is there any way you can get antibiotics in his food, such as Baytril? Would your vet prescribe this med for this feral cat? Baytril tastes good and I have myself slipped some in feral cats food here, so I do know for a fact they will eat it.

The way you have described his ear, he is going to have to have surgery. Is there any way you can trap him and bring him in to your vet? I know, tricky, for is your vet even familiar with feral cats?

I am concerned that the infection will become systemic, and this poor cat will eventually die a painful death.

(Duh. Sorry. I tend to get emotionally involved with posts about feral cats, so I don't know if I have been helpful at all.)

If your vet is willing to work with you, hopefully this will have a good outcome. And while he is under anesthesia, he could be neutered as well. Oh, yes, Toms can be very very very very difficult to trap for their IQ is way passed 200 (if that is possible to imagine). I know you said you have tried to trap him, but is there any way you could still try? Once a Tom gets wind there is a trap, though, you can just about forget getting him though. DANG!

Oh, boy, how hard this must be on you to watch this animal suffer.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The vet just said bring him in.
I am praying you can trap him...........

Old 07-29-2010, 05:00 PM

I started typing in google and you now how it will finish your search string with the most common search? Well guess what came up before I finished typing.
Here's one ad for Vetericyn Wound and Infection Spray - Horse and Pet Antibiotic Size (8 Ounce) from a Saddle and Tack shop

Nutri-Vet Wound Spray for Cats
4 oz (118 ml) THe ingredients list for this don't look like much at all - vit c, and the second ing is alchohol - ouch! On that raw wound?

Maybe this
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Excel+Hyd...-prod1968.html

Some relief anyway

I haven't seen anything at Pet Smart, would prefer not to wait for shipping

Tried tuna in oil for the trap......

Last edited by Giesela; 07-29-2010 at 05:10 PM..

Old 07-29-2010, 05:06 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,551,196 times
Every Tom cat (otherwise known as an un-neutered male cat) I ever came accross always had some kind of gangly injury -- this is all too common. I wish you the best and I hope and pray you can trap him and get him fixed. I'm sure he's spread his seed far and wide by now.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
Every Tom cat (otherwise known as an un-neutered male cat) I ever came accross always had some kind of gangly injury -- this is all too common. I wish you the best and I hope and pray you can trap him and get him fixed. I'm sure he's spread his seed far and wide by now.
I have managed to love and feed one Tom who is not mangled thus far, and I am doing everything humanly possible to keep it that way. I love this guy until tears spring to my eyes! Why? He brought to me last December his frozen and dying brother for me to heal. He is Whispers' biological brother.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 PM

5,009 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
A feral Tom I have yet not ever been able to trap has had some sort of big sore on the back of one ear forever (like over a year). Its not pus sy, just a red, cracked painful looking mess. Its like I've been slowing watching his ear melt. He has almost no ear left and what is left is sort of cupped down. He rubs it on things so its quite obviously bothering him. I asked the vet about when I had the feral kittens in and he said something about ear mites and rubbing and no to a spray or globby stuff.
He will let you touch him. I would feel uncomfortable testing his scratch and bite inhibition by trying to hold him down or pick him up but I bet I could spray or maybe glob something on there. I don't get the ear mite thing - his other ear and other cats would have this sort of thing too no? Anyway I'm pretty squeamish and can't hardly look at it but am thinking there has got to be something that would at least provide some relief. And if he quit rubbing it maybe it would heal. If I can ever get him in a trap, yea I don't know what will happen - can cats live without an ear?
He might be okay without an exterior ear, although there is the predicament of stuff getting in there after the outerear is gone. However, if he lets you handle him, it should be doable (with treats and cotton swabs) to keep it relatively clean.

You can get some BagBalm. Here, it is sold at any Walgreens, so it's easy to come by. A spray might startle him so I would try a thin coating of ointment. I am afraid that a liquid antiseptic might burn or irritate the wound.

If he is a tomcat, he probably got in a fight and the ear is (and has been) infected. Honestly, I would take the vet up on his/her offer if you do manage to catch the cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats