Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM

821 posts, read 861,205 times

Advertisements

Oh my cat always tries to drink what I have and the second I bat him away from it, he wants it even more. Typical lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 01:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
I literally cannot put down a cup of ANYTHING without Neo putting his little snoot into it. Tea, water, soda. He's an equal opportunity lapper. And if it has ice cubes in it he pretty much goes into the dickey-doo-dance-of-celebration. Covered mugs in this house!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Do you have mint in your tea?

Catnip is a member of the mint family, so it may be they're attracted to that

We had a cat once that would FREAK OUT over anything that smelled like mint or menthol. My mom was using this spray called Stopain that smelled strongly, and he would literally attack her when she would put it on her back. If I was chewing spearmint gum I'd blow it on his nose and he'd howl.. It was weird.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,427 times
Huh, very interesting because two cats of mine also like to stick their mouths into my sweet tea. I drink cold sweet tea ALL THE TIME and a few times I've left the glass unattended I caught them sipping it up. Funny cuz they are brother and sister. I wonder if it's genetic? But then again I believe a THIRD cat in the household also tries to steal some sweet tea from my glass, not as much as the others but does nonetheless. I believe it has more to do with the sweetness of it, it is diluted so it is basically like sweet water to them; they are attracted to the sweetness of the beverage.

My cat has seemed a bit dehydrated lately due to unusual heat n humidity here so I let him have a little bit of sweet tea on a plate and he lapped it up enthusiastically. And it seemed to do him good but then I read that tea can be bad for cats. So I won't let him have anymore at least until I confirm. In any case I won't let him have a lot, if at all. Here is the link I found.

Human Foods that are Harmful to Cats

Idk how accurate it is but nevertheless we should always take caution. For example two cats in the house (but esp. one - 'my' cat) constantly want milk and we give it to them and they've seemed fine although lately they haven't asked for it (I think they got a bad batch). But otherwise they've been okay. (Apparently). But I think maybe we'll cut down on the milk too for a while. *(Unless it's organic maybe).

As for the drinking of the sweet tea - at least I know they really are my cats and have good taste!

Old 09-01-2013, 07:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackercat View Post
Huh, very interesting because two cats of mine also like to stick their mouths into my sweet tea. I drink cold sweet tea ALL THE TIME and a few times I've left the glass unattended I caught them sipping it up. Funny cuz they are brother and sister. I wonder if it's genetic? But then again I believe a THIRD cat in the household also tries to steal some sweet tea from my glass, not as much as the others but does nonetheless. I believe it has more to do with the sweetness of it, it is diluted so it is basically like sweet water to them; they are attracted to the sweetness of the beverage.
I wonder. I mean, here's the big thing: cats can't taste sweet! So it's not at all clear what attracts them to things that are sweet. I mean, mine liked to lick ice cream. Given that they can't taste sweet, I always figured that one was because of the fat. But that is not the case with the tea. I still think it might be the ice or that it's cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackercat View Post
Idk how accurate it is but nevertheless we should always take caution. For example two cats in the house (but esp. one - 'my' cat) constantly want milk and we give it to them and they've seemed fine although lately they haven't asked for it (I think they got a bad batch). But otherwise they've been okay. (Apparently). But I think maybe we'll cut down on the milk too for a while. *(Unless it's organic maybe).
The big thing about milk is that more cats than not are lactose intolerant. If I remember the estimate is something around 70% of cats. A little taste here and there isn't a problem, same with a taste of ice cream, etc. (Not chocolate though.) I wouldn't give it a lot but if you give on a regular basis, you could get them Lactaid, or get the pet product from the same company which called Cat-Sip. The latter is found in some pet stores or pet food aisle of grocery (it's shelf stable, not cold), and it adds some taurine (although, oddly to me, it is made with lowfat milk). Freezing the milk (use an ice cube tray or similar) makes a nice summer (or year-round!) treat that many cats might like. Another option is goat's milk. There's a pet product for this too which is sold frozen at some pet stores, but I think goat milk from a regular store that carries it would also be fine. I think the frozen pet one may also be raw which I suppose is preferable. Still something to use as a treat; large portions of any of this would not be recommended.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:44 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
I have to watch if I walk away from the coffee table with my drink on it because one of the 3 will jump up and stick their head into the glass or a paw. Our newest one, Daisy, LOVES ice cubes and when she hears me rattling away in the ice cube tray she comes running. I put a couple in their water dish and she grabs and pulls it out onto the floor and plays with it.

Cats are just nuts.

Don

Old 09-01-2013, 08:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I've never been able to leave any drink unattended- ice or not. They stick their paws in it and usually spill and/or break the cup or glass. For many years i went to bed with a glass of water on my bedside table but oscar always finds it and spills it in the middle of the night right on top of poor Lucy the Bichon who sleep on her blankie beside the bed. Cats are inherently naughty.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,236,733 times
Two of our three cats, well my cats I guess, like to check out whatever I drink and make faces if it isn't water. If I leave a glass of water unattended Orion will attempt to drink it while Joe will stick his paw in it - his usual manner of 'drinking.' I think it may well be something in the tea, my guys like to chew on plants, Joe will even eat flowers so I have to be careful what I have around. I wonder if you tried a different type of tea if they'd do the same thing?

Only Scooter will drink milk, since I'm lactose intolerant I give him some of mine when he asks for it. When Orion was a kitten he begged for milk and like a dope I gave it to him. BIG mistake. He got so ill I literally had to wash his tail and back legs. He's never touched milk again! Joe's never cared for it but he'll lap up butter or whipped cream once in a while.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:30 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Yes, interesting to live in a house with a creature, that you know you cannot leave anything like food, around, or even iced tea, without it being investigated, and taken.

My cat Mickey, used to put his ENTIRE head in anything I was drinking. Nothing like some cat fur in your milk.

My Mom says she can't open a can of tuna or salmon in her home. She has to go outside to eat it. Of cours, she has.... Many, many, mmore cats than I do.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 AM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
They are curious... doesn't make sense to me, but a lot of things amuse them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats