Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:20 PM

10,103 posts, read 19,308,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think you might be able to find a simpler device that would make noise if the door was left open, similar to the simple door alert chime. We have an entry alert chime at work that's wireless. Very small device (takes battery) attaches at the door, and the chime part plugs into the wall and can be quite a ways away probably. When the door is opened, it chimes. But it can't tell anything about whether it was closed or remained open.

EDIT: Something like this might work for you (not vouching for seller, just example of a type of device that could work). Looks like there's a delay setting that would set off alarm 30-45 seconds after the door was opened and not closed, requires code to deactivate. DOOR ALARMS - Keypad Door Alarm at MyPreciousKid.com

Thanks, will look into this!

Still no Rudy we keep looking, but sadly must admit the chances are slim....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 02:05 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,603,272 times
I just hang a wind chime (small) on the front door. If I don't hear 2 chimes, someone forgot to close the door!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:49 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,168,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not assuming anything. I'm repeating what Marylee herself has posted in her own threads. It doesn't matter if this is the cat forum or the forum for talking pineapples, Marylee brought it up and I am free to address what she posted.

Yes, damn straight I am judgmental, and I am extremely unfriendly towards people who allow their children to be beaten with a belt. I don't care what the child did or what the parent is going through. This punishment is in addition to some other very questionable methods used by Marylee to discipline her children. If she does not want to be criticized for them then I suggest she doesn't post about it on an open internet forum.

I don't understand how you otherwise kind and compassionate posters can ignore that she is doing this to her child. I'm going to put it this way, what if she had said "my dh has worn out his belt on Macrame" because of some transgression committed by the poor cat. Would you be so supportive if of her then, or would you be trying to find a way to report her to the ASPCA?
I would not presume to judge. But I have a friend who's son is ADD, in a severe way, and as he was friends with my son for several years we did weekly play dates. And I stayed with her for a short while when her son was 16.

He was uncontrollable. My rule was if they boys got to misbehaving they both sat for five minutes. If either got up then both sat for another five minutes. One day they sat for nearly an hour. But it was the only way to get to him. He was destructive, and lied often and after he hit his teens was totally out of control despite multiple attempts at discipline. Until he turned 17 she had a deal with the truant officer that if she didn't call to come get him since he had not left for the bus. The truant officer had to take him to his classroom door or he'd slip into the parking lot and still not go to school. I lost touch before he hit 18, but it was looking like he'd end up in serious trouble along the way.

Thing is, I know how hard she tried to work with him, but he did not care. Simply put, nobody else mattered in his world. Not her, not his father, not the police or the school or anyone. The behavior that Marylee has described is very similar and I can understand her frustration and worry about her son, and as he's thirteen the problems are just beginning. I would not judge anyone with a kid with that problem and the desperation to reach them. Buttering the room is a huge red flag that he needs professional help, but then this kid also had it and for him it didn't do much.

I don't think Marylee thinks less of her children than her cats. But you have to remember that the cats will always be cats. They will not have to grow up and find jobs and establish responsible lives. Requiring them to take responsibility for their action OR ELSE before they get to the golden age of 17 when its almost over and time is running out before adulthood is good. The or else sometimes needs to be drastic. Maybe not all the perfect decisions have been made, but instead of being concerned about using physical punishment I'd be more concerned that the boy has buttered a halway and injured his mother and doesn't see the problem. Things like that and leaving the door open all night in a city are things which must be addressed. Having just moved, local resources are harder to get into but they are dealing with it.

I am sad for her and very sad for lonely Rudy who is still our there wondering where home is, and sad that her son is losing his battle with control. I will not be lecturing about not being the perfect parent, especially when the challenge is so huge.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,407,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

Granted, an alarm doesn't prevent someone from waltzing through an already open door. but I could tell from the control pad if a door or window was left open. Also, our alarm had a chime so I knew if someone was opening the door in the first place.

I really don't follow how false alarms would decrease the value of a home.......how does that information even sync up? If that's the case, then having an alarm system in our previous home is a liability. We still own our previous home, and keep the security alarm armed. Its also a selling point---we're trying to rent out our home right now, hope to sell it when the market comes back up. From what you're telling me, perhaps we shouldn't keep the alarm system if we have renters?

A good point for thought, I will ask our property manager, it could be different for different areas, but thanks for the advice!
We have an alarm system installed that is not connected to an alarm company. When it's turned on, if a door or window is opened, it sounds a beep. If it's not deactivated, the beep eventually turns into an ear-piercing shriek, but trust me, you'll have time to get to it before it gets to that point if your son is leaving the door open at night and you're in the house to hear it from the beginning. This isn't the one installed on our house, but it seems like a similar option. Amazon.com: GE 51107 Smart Home Wireless Alarm System Kit: Home Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

I just hang a wind chime (small) on the front door. If I don't hear 2 chimes, someone forgot to close the door!
That's an awesome idea! I was going to suggest one of these to hang on the door knob (http://www.safetyenforcement.com/2n1alarm.html - broken link), but wind chimes could work just as well.

Good luck, and I'm glad your kitty is home now, safe and sound!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,087,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
But you have to remember that the cats will always be cats. They will not have to grow up and find jobs and establish responsible lives.
With no malice aforethought, I only hope that the escaped cat Rudy has a chance to live a happy life. This is a cat thread, after all.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,007,184 times
I'm not clear on something. Did Rudy have a chip? Marylee, if you have other animals that could get out of the house I think you need to SERIOUSLY consider making sure they have chips.

Also, Target and Home Depot both have various types of do-it-yourself home security systems and door chimes. If you want to install something ASAP and not wait for them to be shipped you might want to spend some time there. (They have products like the ones posted here. Which were excellent suggestions.)

Old 08-13-2010, 04:00 PM

Just to let you know how the system works---ds is on probation for a variety of reasons. we've called his probation officer numerous times, for the buttering the floor trick and other behavioral problems,all of which violate his probation. Our calls and emails were simply ignored. We also contacted the local police one night when he was particularly out of hand, threatening me with a vacumn cleaner, among other things. When the police arrived, we informed them he was on probation and showed them the probation papers. They made a case file, that's the last we ever heard of them. They essentially left the situation as they found it.

We've appealed to the system many times, only to be completely ignored. Those who give the advice to "do something" don't realize the system just ignores the situation, unless something serious, like a death, has occurred, then, of course, its all the parents fault.

BTW, when the police did come, ds blathered on to them about how we didn't pay enough attention to him, he felt unloved, yadda, yadda. In particular dad doesn't spend enough time with him. so, they snapped at dh, what does he do all day that he ignores his child? to which dh simply replied, he works. They had no answer for that. They were more concerned we weren't babying ds than he was attacking me, a disabled person. I guess dh should quit his job and stay home 24/7 to give ds all the attention he "deserves".

Meanwhile, we continue to look for rudy, but the kids don't seem to care.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not clear on something. Did Rudy have a chip? Marylee, if you have other animals that could get out of the house I think you need to SERIOUSLY consider making sure they have chips.

Also, Target and Home Depot both have various types of do-it-yourself home security systems and door chimes. If you want to install something ASAP and not wait for them to be shipped you might want to spend some time there. (They have products like the ones posted here. Which were excellent suggestions.)

Thanks for the advice, we will look into those alarms this weekend. Yes, Rudy has a chip, but someone has to catch the animal and scan him for it to be of use. but its always a good idea to have all animals chipped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats