Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,626,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Garden of Eden, he's always had primo food though, so it wasn't his system getting rid of toxins. I think the Instinct wet was giving him gas and soft stools. I will continue to feed him raw though.

Something else I have found out with my cats. You cannot get better then raw diet for felines. But, you may want to supplement salmon oil with the raw for two reasons. One, salmon oil breaks down with the freezing process. And two, I saw when I began giving my cats Weruva Red Eyed Salmon, they went nuts, acting like they were craving the fish!

Their bodies were craving the Omega oils, not getting enough in the raw. Or so it seems. That in of itself, is a good reason to give your cats extra salmon oil. Since I have been feeding them the fish the shine on their coats is unbelievable!

It seems in life, when you think, you are doing the very best, something always comes along to show you that you can improve your "best".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:20 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,588,028 times
In terms of a big covered litter box try a budda box. It is the only litter box that kept the dog from being able to get in and help himself (always a bonus).

Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,527,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Must be the fish, then, that has increased the stink a bit at my place over the last several months to a year. That and she doesn't always bury it that well. Her preferred and basically only wet food at this point (even just tried another one, can't get her to eat anything else) is a chicken and tuna combo from Tiki Cat. Switching over to Nature's Variety Instinct for dry; this seems to be going okay. But she wouldn't touch the wet food, even mixed with her favorite stuff.

BTW, I use the Tidy Cats Small Spaces too. Haven't tried others recently, but over the years had tried many and it seems to be the least of evils for now among clumping clay litter. (I tried Swheat Scoop years ago but not World's Best or any other non-clay.) The smell is only bad when very fresh and I'm in the vicinity of the box; it dissipates fairly quickly even if she has been lazy about covering the poo. If it bugs me too much I reach in with the scoop and cover it myself.
Normally I wouldn't bump this old thread, but some unknown person just rep'd me about an hour ago for this ancient post quoted above. I wanted to point out in case that person happens to read some more, that MANY (almost all) details in this post are now different.

They should all be different, but when I got a few cans of that Tiki food recently she showed a renewed interest in it, so I got her some more. Dry food which she's still eating some of is mixture of Nature's Logic (not same as Nature's Variety, which I only fed for a short while) and Wysong Epigen/Epigen 90. And the cat litter is Precious Cat Ultra which works WAY better than Tidy Cats Small ever did.

Oh, but I still have to reach in with the scoop sometimes and cover the stinky poo.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
The most significant switch I've made with my cats, overall, has been their change in litter. I used to use the Tidy Cat multiple cats, and sometimes some other fancy name brand with scented crystals and charcoal and baking soda and all kinds of things...

and then I discovered good ole generic Berkeley & Jensens, the BJ's Warehouse store brand. Sells for I think $11.95 for a 40-pound box. It's a clumping litter, it clumps better than any other brand I've tried, it's dirt cheap, it's unscented so I don't have to worry about my cat acquiring a sensitivity to perfumes, and it actually does a decent job of obscuring the stench.

She doesn't cover her poo, never did. It stinks like cat poo. But that stink subsides after awhile.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 AM

17,531 posts, read 15,267,171 times
Add a little probiotic powder to your cat's food a few times a week. It helped my cat. It's very healthy for them, keeps their GI tract in good working order, and I found for my cat it reduced gas and helped tame the feces smell. I continue to put some in her food 2 to 3 times a week.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,187,245 times
I think it's canned food that makes cats s*** smell so bad....dry not so much!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:06 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,770,679 times
It is a Universal Truth that, regardless of the material contents, or the species of anus from which it extrudes, sh*t stinks.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:15 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,298,282 times
fish adds extra odor...I feed mine fish now and then and can tell the difference but I put up with it because the fish is good for them...

Old 04-12-2012, 01:22 PM

11,183 posts, read 19,336,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
fish adds extra odor...I feed mine fish now and then and can tell the difference but I put up with it because the fish is good for them...
Fish isn't at all good for cats. But if you are only feeding fishy foods...say...less than once a week, they should be okay.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM

786 posts, read 1,583,587 times
Is the poo well formed? If not, it could be dumping syndrome caused by malabsorption, those smells are the worst. Some cats can't tolerate the hair ball formulas because they have fiber that prompt BM's just like if you were to take Metamucil. Some cats have a very fast transit time with that food and it's not processed in the gut as it should and stinks to high heaven. I had that problem, we were getting gassed out, and I gradually switched over to Science Diet sensitive stomach and that solved the problem, it has a higher fat content but I try to keep my cats active and their poo is well formed and virtually no odor. I also use a high quality litter which I think makes a difference in absorbing urine and poo, and if there is odor it dissipates quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats