Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times

Advertisements

as catsmom pointed out FISH is NOT good for cats.
think about it...
the domestic feline is decended from a species of DESERT dwelling cats, as in, Little water...as in Not realy many fish where they come from...
the domestic felines digestive ssytem isnt built to handle fish and its a very unnatural ingredient. fish based foods hsould be a "treat" no more than once a week.

they would naturally eat rodents, small birds and small reptiles, so poultry based foods would be the closest to "natural"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Maybe we need to start a company to make canned rodents.

I'm sure the reason that doesn't happen is because the existing infrastructure makes it much easier and cheaper to use the same meats that humans commonly eat. There are a few cans of lesser-used meats like rabbit, pheasant, etc. But I've only run across one that would never be eaten by humans (Addiction's New Zealand brushtail).

Amber isn't too excited by rabbit it seems. I always thought that would be pretty close to a natural prey. I am feeding her some rabbit kibble from Nature's Logic right now, but she never ate it on its own. It's mixed in with other chicken kibble.

Still eating fish too. Dunno. It's been a constant question because it's been either feed some fish or she would pretty much only be eating dry otherwise. The chicken dry is still her favorite, but the same chicken out of a can just doesn't fly with her, not by itself (she'll eat some if it's along with the fish).

I know what the ideal is, just don't think I can get to it. Amber is almost 16 and there's only so much I can change without her ending up eating too little.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:56 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post

I'm sure the reason that doesn't happen is because the existing infrastructure makes it much easier and cheaper to use the same meats that humans commonly eat. There are a few cans of lesser-used meats like rabbit, pheasant, etc. But I've only run across one that would never be eaten by humans (Addiction's New Zealand brushtail).

Amber isn't too excited by rabbit it seems. I always thought that would be pretty close to a natural prey. I am feeding her some rabbit kibble from Nature's Logic right now, but she never ate it on its own. It's mixed in with other chicken kibble.

Still eating fish too. Dunno. It's been a constant question because it's been either feed some fish or she would pretty much only be eating dry otherwise. The chicken dry is still her favorite, but the same chicken out of a can just doesn't fly with her, not by itself (she'll eat some if it's along with the fish).

I know what the ideal is, just don't think I can get to it. Amber is almost 16 and there's only so much I can change without her ending up eating too little.
The point is, you make the effort.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:36 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Please send me two cases.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
The point is, you make the effort.
Well thanks. I make some effort. Whether it's enough effort is always in question....

Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I expect poop of any kind to stink but my question is why does canned cat food smell so gross? I gag every time I open a new can.

BTW my dogs think cat poop smell like filet mignon----they also think it is quite tasty.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:37 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,131,647 times
I have two cats and from time to time theirs may take on a strong odor. I don't use any clay or clumping litter I use the alternative litter such as Feline Pine or Good Mews. I think those litters keep the odor down much better than the other types especially urine.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I expect poop of any kind to stink but my question is why does canned cat food smell so gross? I gag every time I open a new can.

BTW my dogs think cat poop smell like filet mignon----they also think it is quite tasty.

Well, sense of smell is relative to the one doing the smelling, of course. But some foods do have stronger smells than others.

The foods I've been feeding mostly smell like the protein that is listed on the label.

Meaning, the chicken smells like chicken, the beef smells like roast beef and the turkey smells like turkey.

You're right, poop is poop, and poop stinks, LOL.

I can usually tell which cat has pooped by odor, if I am home. If I get home after it's happened and the odor has dissipated, I can usually tell by size and shape of the stool, whose it is.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:26 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
...why does canned cat food smell so gross? I gag every time I open a new can...
Not me.

Some of it smells really good.

I've often wondered how it would taste on a fresh Kaiser Roll with lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise, with a half a Kosher Dill and a chunk of Danish Blue Cheese on the side.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:22 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
If it's that bad it may be spoiled due to a tiny pinhole in the can. Most of the canned cat food we buy smells great. We buy mostly Friskies and Authority. Authority smells just like cooked chicken and has no byproducts.

Quote:
My 3 dogs considered them tasty snacks..... now THAT was gross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats