Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:56 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

First the picture and then the story.

Our business is located at the edge of an industrial park and between heavy trucks, the very nearby interstate highway, rattlesnakes in the yard and the pack of half a dozen coyotes in the woods in back it's about the most inhospitable place for a six week old kitten as you could get.

Lucky and one of his litter mates attempted to cross the road in front of our shop.... Lucky made it but but his litter mate didn't.

Cute little guy but scared to death.

One of the guys brought him into the shop and the two ladies who work in the office immediately fell in love.

I guess we adopted a shop cat.

Shop cat doesn't sound so great but he'll mostly be inside, his home is in the air conditioned conference room until we can get him litter box trained, and then he'll have the run of the office.

I guess you could say he found employment.

His job will be to keep people company and keep mice away. In exchange Lucky will live in a safe (air conditioned and heated) environment, he will get plenty of good food, water and he will receive regular vet care. In a couple weeks (one of the ladies was saying he is to young to take now... probably 4 to 5 weeks old) we'll take him in where he will be de-wormed, receive all shots and be neutered when he is old enough.

I am pretty sure he was born wild but we got him early enough he won't go feral on us. To young to run when we first started to pick him up his heart would race a thousand beats a minute but after two days he is starting to warm up learning we are not there to hurt him.

So the company bought him a bed (he is in it in the photo), bowls for food, water and a couple cat toys to play with but so far he seems to enjoy batting about a paper wrapper from one of those danish cookie tins.

He also has a teddy bear he snuggles up to... one of the ladies in the office brought it in saying it had the smell of cats (she is a cat lady but not a hoarder) and would comfort him. That seems to have worked.

So we named him Lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 08:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Lucky is the perfect name for him! Cute little bugger, isn't he? Thank you for taking him in!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:45 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Please don't ever allow him outside. Your office isn't located in a safe place for cats, not that any place outside is safe for them. Will he be alone from Friday afternoons until Monday mornings?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Please don't ever allow him outside. Your office isn't located in a safe place for cats, not that any place outside is safe for them. Will he be alone from Friday afternoons until Monday mornings?
Someone is always here in the evenings, on Saturday and I often come in on Sunday to prepare for the week.

During the week someone is always around... he'll have company 12 hours a day Monday through Friday and someone will always come in over the weekend.

I do have a feeling he won't be staying around. A few years ago we had a shop cat, neat little guy, who came as a kitten so weak he could hardly walk. Just wandered in and it was much the same thing.

Fast forward a few months and one of the office ladies couldn't stand the idea of him being here by himself so she adopted him taking him home where he now lives better than 90% of the people posting on CD.

He won't be outside it's to dangerous. Might not sound like the greatest life to some but it is a whole lot better than he was looking at a couple days ago.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 PM

18,082 posts, read 15,670,593 times
He's adorable!

Hope he lives a long, healthy, safe, and spoiled life.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Thanks for saving him!

Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
He's adorable!

Hope he lives a long, healthy, safe, and spoiled life.
I was working late, got a job meeting in the morning, and spent some time with the little guy. I keep going in to see him, everyone does throughout the day, so he gets used to people. He loves chasing toys (a stuffed white mouse) pulled with a string. In a couple days he went from being a small scared cat to one full of fiestiness and vinegar.

We're also not sure what to do with the litter box but I suppose he'll eventually figure it out. Floor isn't carpeted so won't hurt anything.

But he still cries a lot and I am thinking he misses the comfort of his mother.

But he appears to be eating and drinking well.

He is in the conference room and would it be better to leave lights on or off? If they are off it is absolutely pitch dark.

What do you think?

Old 09-03-2010, 06:57 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
What a sweet face! I think you're right -- someone is going to fall in love with him and make him a home.

Thanks for rescuing him!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:30 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
Shop cats are very popular! I love it when I go to a business that has pets wandering around. He is so cute!! He will be alright over the week ends alone but I just hate the thought of him not having a human to sleep with at night.. LOL! I am a old softie!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:32 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Can you put a night light in there? Or can the room lights be dimmed a little. Bright fluorescent light 24 hours a day might be a bit much for his young eyes, but 12 hours of pitch darkness would be awful.

Give him a cadrboard box and a stuffed animal to sleep in and cuddle with. Some toys to play with too. All will have to be replaced when you have him de-flead.

Sprinkle some litter over his messes, sweep it all up and put it in the litter box. Show it to him, he'll understand what it's for.

Congratulations on the rescue. Dumping kittens on highways when they are four weeks old seems to be a popular sport for people who can't be bothered to have their cats spayed and neutered. They'll get theirs, I pray.

When he is two pounds he will be big enough for a capstar, droncit (for flea tapeworm) and a kitten dose of revolution and his first distemper booster. Also of course tested for FeLV/FIV. Bring a stool sample to his first appointment.

Until then you should comb him daily with a flea comb. Keep a bucket of soapy water next to you and drop the fleas into the bucket. Swap the floor and furniture daily with a bleach solution to kill eggs and larvae.

I know all this because I just rescued a tiny flea ridden four week old kitten myself. Well, shes 10 1/2 weeks now. But I was, recently, right where you are with Lucky now.

Keep us posted.

PS Capstar is the closest thing to a miracle pill as I have ever seen. Within minutes of getting the pill, the fleas begin to fall off the kitten, dead. It's incredible. It only lasts for 24 hours though, and kills adult fleas only, so Lucky will need that kitten dose of revolution, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats