Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:27 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times

Advertisements

I posted this in my thread about my kittens a while back. I have an update and I thought a new thread might get more responses.

This is my cat Runt. She's a guess about a year-and-a-half old. After we returned from vacation I noticed this area without any fur and it was red and wet.

This is what it looked like August 8
That dark thing is the scab.

This is today (Aug 21)

It's not as red, but it appears to have spread to the back of her ear.

I've been treating it with Neosporin. It doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I guess a vet visit in order. My mom also suggested a cone around her neck to keep her from scratching it.

Any other ideas of what to do?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 11:30 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
All of that advice is sound. Looks to me like a bird dive-bombed her. Poor puddy.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:37 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times
It looks, from my humble opinion, that the irritated skin has spread, because she is probably scratcing at it and irritating it further.

Apple Cider Vinegar is an immune system booster, and has antibacterial and anti-fungal agents within. You can apply a diluted version of apple cider vinegar and warm water directly to the area that is affected. Air dry - don't rub.

Dermacton: This is an over-the-counter medication that will alleviate the itching/dryness that comes with localized hair loss. It can be found in a cream, spray, or shampoo.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:47 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
My vote is for something more along the lines of a dermatitis - which could be caused by an allergic reaction to flea bites, ear mites, or a specific food allergy. There's also a type of lesion that's caused by an autoimmune disease... so best you get her to a vet and have it properly examined.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:49 AM

947 posts, read 3,408,763 times
ouch!

poor kittey

marylandkitten,

good advice. re: acv
I have never heard of Dermaction, is this product ok for kitties and will not burn an open wound?

always open to gaining more knowledge.

I really think, although so many people use it and many swear by it, that neosporin doesn't do much ...
but that is my opinion.

yeah, if she is scratching it, it will take forever to heal.

How are her nails?
Can you cut them, will she let you?
only Need to cut the back ones at this point as that is what she is scratching with. it will help.

Oh, I just recalled ... Arinca, anyone know if that would be a good healer, what about Cadula (sp)

Last edited by need4Trees; 08-22-2010 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: question re: arinca

Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
All of that advice is sound. Looks to me like a bird dive-bombed her. Poor puddy.
She's a housecat. We don't have birds in the house.

I am puzzled as to how this happened. She and her sister and my ten-pound cat play a lot. I wonder if somebody got too rough.

I'll check out those suggestions Maryland Kitten.

I have a feeling she'll end up at the vet. We can afford the vet visit, but I've been trying to treat it myself to avoid having another bill.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:11 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,690,867 times
It could be so many things. I would love to be able to tell you what it is and how to treat it to avoid a trip to the vet but I think it's better to be safe than sorry. The redness and the fact that it has spread is a little concerning as is the fact that the Neosporin hasn't helped. My first advice would have been antibiotic ointment. BTW, how long ago did it happen?

It may have been rough play. If it happened while you were on vacation, it probably got infected in the interim from when it happened to when you were able to see it. Cats release a toxin sometimes (depending on how pissed off or frightened they are) when they bite, so that may have something to do with her reaction. Or, it could be a dermatological issue that is exacerbated by her licking. I have never heard of 'hot spots' in cats but those look exactly like the ones my dog has had.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:35 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times
My concern is that this skin condition has spread. Seriously, if Neosporin has done nothing, I say take her to a vet as soon as you can.

In the meantime, do you have Aloe? You can put Aloe on to relieve the itching and soreness. It is not 100%, but it is better then nothing. Before you apply the Aloe, could you wash the effected area with a pure soap, such as Castile Soap? I use oatmeal pure soap, but someone I know makes it. I could offer you the name of this person, if you are interested, so DM me if you are. I can't say enough good about this soap for skin conditions. (for future problems with your cats)

Have you tried warm water compresses to the area to relieve the soreness? Don't try Benadryl in the hopes it will relieve the itching. I think it would get worse with it. And if you are going to try the Apple Cider Vinegar, please make sure it is a very dilute solution, so that it will not irritate or burn the area even more. My "gut instinct" right off the top of my head, don't do the vinegar at all. You do not want to chance a further irritation.

Oh, this poor little sweetie. Oh when I looked at your pictures my heart just lurched. Please take her to a vet, tomorrow if you can. She needs help.

FYI.....the skin condition looks to me like an allergic reaction. Poor baby.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:03 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
She needs antibiotics like Clavamox or there is a new antibiotic shot called Convenia which lasts for two weeks and is great for animals that aren't exactly easy to give medicine to. She really needs to be taken to the vet ASAP. It could have been a spider bite, etc. but it has gotten too out of hand and sometimes infections are very tricky to treat in animals. I don't think it warrants a trip to the e-Vet unless she is not eating, is throwing up, etc. But, please take her to the vet tomorrow and let us know how she is doing.

I agree that it could be an allergic reaction. Has her food been changed lately? Are you using any new detergents, cleaners?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:03 PM

She probably will be going to the vet soon. The dog needs to visit anyway. I just hope it's not a huge bill.

Probably won't be immediately. I can call in the morning, but there's no guarantee I'll get in right away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats