Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times

Advertisements

We use Fresh Step unsented in those storage totes. We add enough so they can't really dig to the bottom. It clumps beautifully and no odors (unless one of them fails to bury their poop.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I've gone to Dr. Elsey's clumping clay litter and it works well, but Nimbus does dig to the bottom to pee. We use heavy duty plastic liners, and it seems like the litter clumps after he buries the wet spot, it's still wet on the bottom (surface in contact with the plastic) but it doesn't really stick to the plastic, it's not hard to dislodge and scoop out. The great thing about this litter is it forms rock hard clumps that don't break up. So it's easier to scoop, you get less contamination of the litter left in the pan, and you can easily monitor the general volume of the cat's output for health observations.

His claws do put some small holes in the liners, so I still do have to clean the pan when I do a full change-out (once a week) but the holes aren't so bad that they cause litter to spill when I lift the liner like a trashbag out, so long as the trashcan I'm putting it in is close by. Does seem to help keep things neat & easy.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:07 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Jasper digs until he is at rock bottom. And blasts away. Then he buries it. So, there is a pudddle, covered with "mud". No clumping here. Just muck to scrape off the bottom all the time.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:04 AM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
I use a large rubbermaid tote with a hole cut in the side. I have about 4" or so of litter. I use a combo of litter (all clumping), including a layer of some Dr. Elsey's, which does help contain the urine. The trick is you have to have enough litter so that when the cat pees there's still enough litter to capture the urine before it goes through to the bottom. My best combo of litter has been a couple inches of World's Best Cat Litter, combined with an inch or so of Dr. Elsey's and some cheaper litter like Tidy Cats to help get the box up to 4 inches or so. My cat's pee remains contained and does not stick to the bottom. Also, you can spray the litter box with some cooking spray before putting in the litter, which will help you scoop out if any does get to the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats