Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 09:15 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,402,853 times

Advertisements

Introduction to this truly unique no-cage, no-kill cat & dog sanctuary in Parlier, California.

FARK.com: Fark Video Player (5602392) The coolest video about a wildlife reserve for cats you will see today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 02:57 PM

4,931 posts, read 10,600,925 times
That woman is a miracle of humanity and is an exemplary model for all shelters and rescues. I love how she commented about deciding to do something meaningful with her life after a time of superficial indulgences; what a wonderful person.

I also love the shots of the animals happily frolicking all over the place--I think I even saw a dog rolling like crazy in the distance behind her as she was speaking. Very heartwarming.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:57 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,340,128 times
I wonder what makes her different from animal hoarders.

Don't they all start out with the best of intentions, and thinking they can manage the upkeep, to the animals' best interests?

This lady clearly has transformed her home and opened her heart into becoming an animal sanctuary. And I love what she's done. I just wonder what makes her different from the others that get their 15 minutes of fame on Animal Cops for doing the same thing, yet their story had a really bad ending.

She's doing what I've always wanted to do growing up. It's the TV shows about animal hoarders and how they're mentally disturbed and dangerous to themselves and a detriment to innocent animals that keep me from really exploring it as a viable option.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post

Don't they all start out with the best of intentions, and thinking they can manage the upkeep, to the animals' best interests?

This lady clearly has transformed her home and opened her heart into becoming an animal sanctuary. And I love what she's done. I just wonder what makes her different from the others that get their 15 minutes of fame on Animal Cops for doing the same thing, yet their story had a really bad ending.

She's doing what I've always wanted to do growing up. It's the TV shows about animal hoarders and how they're mentally disturbed and dangerous to themselves and a detriment to innocent animals that keep me from really exploring it as a viable option.
I think it has to do with the fact that she has 6 acres and is classified as a rescue: many of the cats and dogs are or have the possibility to be adopted (I think she said something like 19K have been adopted ).

Would you not consider her a hoarder (that is, if you do--you seem to still be on the fence) if the animals were in cages? Because then, the only diff that separates a typical shelter from a puppy mill breeder is tax status. And you could even classify the latter as "hoarders" depending on your definition.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:08 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,340,128 times
Good point. I don't think the hoarders are in a constant state of adoption-ready for all of their animals.

I'm going to show the link to my little brother. We always were conspiring once we grew up to buy a ranch, 2 pickup trucksm blanket the back of them, and run around picking up all the strays and unwanted, and ferry them off to our everlasting ranch of animal love forever and ever - looks like this lady beat us to the punch! lol

Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,946,239 times
Quote:

i had the same thought while watching the video .... and continued to ponder for a while..... and came to the conclusion that an animal hoarder just continues to acquire more and more animals, regardless of his or her ability to properly care for them .... think about it.... those animals you see rescued from hoarders on animal cops or the other hoarding show..... nearly all of them are ill and/or malnourished and certainly very poorly socialized, if not mostly feral.....

i'll grant you that it is easy to manipulate video to show what you want, but as i watched THIS video, all of the cats, kittens, dogs and puppies looked happy and healthy.... and her house looked clean.... at least those areas shown...... in the hoarder situations, there is not ONE SQUARE INCH of the hoarder's house that could be considered clean or remotely habitable..... and most of the animals have runny eyes, upper respiratory infections, are filthy are malnourished.... etc. etc. etc.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Good point. I don't think the hoarders are in a constant state of adoption-ready for all of their animals.

I'm going to show the link to my little brother. We always were conspiring once we grew up to buy a ranch, 2 pickup trucksm blanket the back of them, and run around picking up all the strays and unwanted, and ferry them off to our everlasting ranch of animal love forever and ever - looks like this lady beat us to the punch! lol
I like her b/c she shows that it can be done. She's a great role model and an inspiration to us all. It made me very happy to see someone who has realized what most of us only dream about. And if you ever seriously consider it, she would be a great person to consult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats