Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
ICats have this false reputation for being independent and difficult to "control". This is one of the reasons sick people and creeps love to torture cats. It gives them a feeling of power to be in control of something supposedly so "independent and aloof".
I agree with what you said. I think that what causes some problems is when certain cat owners assume all the myths about cats are true, they use those myths to make up excuses for the actions of their cat.

I look at it the same as if a parents child stole presciption drug from the parents and got caught selling it at school. Instead of the parents taking responsibility or holding their child accountable, they blame the school for not having enough drug abuse education or their kid is an angel who could do no wrong so it must have been who are blaming the child.

As I mentioned on anthor forum, I have a hybrid (species, not designer). The person who's opinion I value the most is the lady who hates the animal and is activly working to have it declared a vicious animal and needs to be destroyed. I see my animal as a furry skanky looking canine, so I may not always see how others view actions from this animal. By trying to understand her position, I now understand why some people fear this animal and why they are looking to have it destroyed. I now know she is not a "hater" of the species, I belive just afraid of this specific animal for what it represents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I get very upset about the birds that are killed by cats too. But when I see those bumper stickers that say "Can't find your cat, try looking under my tires". Well, that's sheer hatred and it's unfathomable to me.
I haven't seen that sticker but perhaps this is a cat lover reminding people to keep their cats indoors where they're safe. Few people are sick enough to purposely run over an animal. I believe even fewer would buy such a sticker insinuating they would.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I get very upset about the birds that are killed by cats too. But when I see those bumper stickers that say "Can't find your cat, try looking under my tires". Well, that's sheer hatred and it's unfathomable to me.
I see that more as a people hater than a cat hater. Such hostility.

It would hurt me just to see a bumper sticker like that, even though I keep my cats safe inside. I once had someone suggest to me that I poison my cats so they didn't have to hear about them anymore. (via the internet, but it was in a forum devoted to pets that I was told this). Even though I placed no value on that person's opinion to begin with, the idea of it hurt so much it took my breath away.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:27 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I haven't seen that sticker but perhaps this is a cat lover reminding people to keep their cats indoors where they're safe. Few people are sick enough to purposely run over an animal. I believe even fewer would buy such a sticker insinuating they would.
People DO deliberately aim for cats (and other animals as well) if they see them near the road. It's not a rare occurrence at all. Some of those people may be cat haters. Some perhaps just hate everything and enjoy killing and causing pain to other people, even if they never see the heartache they have caused.

This thread depresses me so much I can't think why I ever got involved in it this morning. How can anyone hate an innocent animal? When it was first started I never even opened it. I don't know what possessed me to read it this morning. Maybe I was just trying to take my mind off the tornado devastation.

Thank goodness for the 'unsubscribe' button.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I see that more as a people hater than a cat hater. Such hostility.

It would hurt me just to see a bumper sticker like that, even though I keep my cats safe inside. I once had someone suggest to me that I poison my cats so they didn't have to hear about them anymore. (via the internet, but it was in a forum devoted to pets that I was told this). Even though I placed no value on that person's opinion to begin with, the idea of it hurt so much it took my breath away.
It would have to be a really nasty person, a miserable unhappy person to even think such a thing no less post it on that Forum. Be glad you don't walk in their shoes.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:57 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,467 times
Quote:
People DO deliberately aim for cats (and other animals as well) if they see them near the road. It's not a rare occurrence at all. Some of those people may be cat haters. Some perhaps just hate everything and enjoy killing and causing pain to other people, even if they never see the heartache they have caused.

This thread depresses me so much I can't think why I ever got involved in it this morning. How can anyone hate an innocent animal? When it was first started I never even opened it. I don't know what possessed me to read it this morning. Maybe I was just trying to take my mind off the tornado devastation.

Thank goodness for the 'unsubscribe' button.
I agree. It's sad but true. There are a lot of cruel people out there. A long time ago when I was just a wee child my friend's parents had the neighbors feed their cat while on vacation. The neighbor's son thought it would be funny to tie fire crackers to the cat's tail. He lit the fire crackers and the cat took off. The cat never came back. My friend was devastated to find her cat missing and what had been done. Unfortunately it's something I will never forget.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
I agree. It's sad but true. There are a lot of cruel people out there. A long time ago when I was just a wee child my friend's parents had the neighbors feed their cat while on vacation. The neighbor's son thought it would be funny to tie fire crackers to the cat's tail. He lit the fire crackers and the cat took off. The cat never came back. My friend was devastated to find her cat missing and what had been done. Unfortunately it's something I will never forget.
That's why I hate kids.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
When I was around 12 years old, my two cousins and I were outdoors playing and had the experience of seeing a car intentionally run over a cat (it swerved toward the cat to do so). We went over and dragged it out of the road, and after a few minutes it woke up and ran under a house. A couple of days later, it reappeared and lived another few years. I will never forget seeing that cretinous jerk do such a thing to a cat (with apologies to cretins everywhere). Some people aren't worth the ammunition it would take to kill them.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Some people aren't worth the ammunition it would take to kill them.
AMEN!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:36 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Some people have a loathing of cats due to ingrained superstition. My grandmother grew up in a family from the "old country" that believed cats were familiars of witches, and did Satan's work, and could suck the life out of newborns if they got into their cribs.

She grew up, and knew that these myths were exactly that - myths. But even knowing that they were myths, didn't shake her fear and loathing of cats. You could tell how serious it was, when she'd come over to visit when my parents were still living in their home in Connecticut. She'd sit there and the cats would rub against her leg, and she'd stiffen and grow very pale. She was absolutely terrified of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats