Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Why do some people hate cats?
Because the cat people that I know have cats that are always up on table, counters, stoves etc.

Keep them off of the counters, especially when you're serving food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:16 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
Most of the people who hate cats have never owned a cat (or been owned by the cat).. My Dad grew up in a rural area and he always saw cats as outside animals, responsible for "mice and rodent patrol", and not as companions for people. He has sinced changed his mind because my brother and I love cats and he got to watch us interact with our pets. People who have never had cats don't realize that while they are independent, cats generally are very social and awesome companions. I couldn't imagine not having a cat curled up next to me while I watch tv, or snuggling up next to me when I go to bed. . I love the sound of a cat purring next to me.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
I think people who didn't grow up with them only think of the extremes; hoarders or people who have cats that pee everywhere and their house is completely unsanitary. I'm all for having lots of pets, as long as they are all being taken care of. I have a neighbor who lets her cats and dogs poop and pee all over her house and she's ok with it! She's giving responsible pet owners a bad name, especially since going to her house is going to be more memorable (for a non-pet owner) than coming to mine.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I think people "hating" animals, any type, says more about themselves than any particular animal. I may not feel akin to some, but I think they all have a place. Even spiders and all the rest have a place here.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
In my experience people who hate cats tend to have the attitude that human being are innately superior and all animals should automatically acknowledge this.
That's not true. I don't like cats and I feel like humans shouldn't assume superiority over animals...we are just one of them.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
Most of the people who hate cats have never owned a cat (or been owned by the cat).. My Dad grew up in a rural area and he always saw cats as outside animals, responsible for "mice and rodent patrol", and not as companions for people. He has sinced changed his mind because my brother and I love cats and he got to watch us interact with our pets. People who have never had cats don't realize that while they are independent, cats generally are very social and awesome companions. I couldn't imagine not having a cat curled up next to me while I watch tv, or snuggling up next to me when I go to bed. . I love the sound of a cat purring next to me.
I've owned a cat (rescued a kitten from a parking lot where it was abandoned). Up until then, I was a dog person, but I can't let any animal just suffer. Love kittens. Kittens are sweet and personable and just want to play and be around you all the time.

I have never met a cat I have ever really liked. They can be unpredictable, they don't really let you know what they are thinking (I don't like some dogs for this reason), they are fairly disinterested in communicating with you (unless it's about their needs or wants), but most of all, I don't feel any 'team spirit' with a cat. With my dogs, I know we're all for one and one for all. My dogs endeavor to be useful members of the family - not freeloaders. I feel like cats are in it for themselves and I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise (and I have a LOT of friends with cats).

Now you all can start with your stories or your disagreements but I've heard it all before, and I respectfully say that I still don't care for cats. That's just how I feel, the op asked why, I answered, and neither of us are going to convince the other any differently.

All it boils down to is what I want from a pet I can't get from a cat.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My dogs endeavor to be useful members of the family - not freeloaders. I feel like cats are in it for themselves .
That's why we call them pets! They offer companionship, they always love you no matter what happens. My cat is also an excellent hunter of bugs and rodents and disposes of the bodies too! You're telling me you appreciate your dog solely for his ability to work, you feel no affection for him? Personally I find that sad. But to each his own I suppose.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
That's why we call them pets! They offer companionship, they always love you no matter what happens. My cat is also an excellent hunter of bugs and rodents and disposes of the bodies too! You're telling me you appreciate your dog solely for his ability to work, you feel no affection for him? Personally I find that sad. But to each his own I suppose.
Nope. I never said that. And my dogs' affection is never flagging and always there and genuine...whether or not I can get her something, feed her, etc. And they don't give me sh*t if they don't get their way. I honestly don't believe cats love you. That is just my belief. You are welcome to your own beliefs.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nope. I never said that. And my dogs' affection is never flagging and always there and genuine...whether or not I can get her something, feed her, etc. And they don't give me sh*t if they don't get their way. I honestly don't believe cats love you. That is just my belief. You are welcome to your own beliefs.
Not to be argumentitive but your dog sounds a lot like my cat!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,366 times
I've always been a fan of felines. As far as pets go, you can't beat them! I have three myself, and I couldn't adore them more. I don't care what you say, cats are clearly better than dogs. I can't even list all the reasons here, so I'll just stick with my favorites.

First of all, cats are about a thousand times easier to care for. You don't have to walk them or bathe them because they're smart enough to figure out all that stuff on their own (unlike some other domestic mammals I don't care to mention). Plus, they have the common courtesy to do their business in the litter box, instead of all over your house and yard. Just one of the many reasons cats rule and dogs—quite literally—drool.

Second, cats have all sorts of personality! Take my cat Smarty for instance. He's a total ham, always jumping from lap to lap when company comes, with a look on his face like, "Hey, everybody! Pay attention." And when they don't, boy does he get pouty! Then there's Boopie, who's more chilled out and kind of does his own thing. I won't even get into Meatball, because he'd kill me if I ever wrote about him!

In comparison, every dog I've ever met is exactly the same: dumb, hyper, and obsessed with chasing tennis balls. It's like they're not even trying. Now I know all those dog people are going to argue with me on this and try to tell me all dogs are unique, but frankly, I just haven't seen it. Maybe someday I'll meet a dog with one-tenth the personality your average cat has in his left hind paw, but I highly doubt it.

Ever seen a cat eat its own poop?

Not to mention, cats are so much more independent than dogs. They can disappear for hours, having their own little adventures, and then pop up again just when you least expect it. It's like running into a long-lost friend on the street, but in your house! Meanwhile, those big, dumb slobbery dogs just plod around after you whether you want them to or not. They can't do anything for themselves. Unless it's eating your shoes!
Nope. You'll never convince me that dogs are superior to cats in any way. So just stop trying.

I could go on all day about how great cats are. They don't make noise, their breath doesn't stink, and they're adorable as kittens—but I don't think that's necessary. Anyone with sense can see that they're simply the better pet, hands down. So, in conclusion, I would like to say that, no matter how good dogs are at catching Frisbees and swimming, they simply can't compete with the world's best furry companion. The one, the only, the cat.

---Taken from an article by Anita Kerwicki from The Onion.

I hold the same sentiments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats