U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:41 PM

434 posts, read 1,679,202 times

Advertisements

I just found this so I may be behind the curve....but if you have to pill a difficult cat you know how traumatic it can be for both of you. My vet gave me something a couple of weeks ago that fixed my problem. I have tried grinding pills up in wet food, mixing them with tuna, the "cat pilling" dispensers that are supposed to pop them down the throat, and just about everything you can think of. My cat would just throw up the pill half of the time even if I got it down his throat. I even had my vet show me how to do it "properly" and he had a hard time with my cat. Then he gave me "Pill Pockets." I love the people who made these. They are made to poke the pill inside but they are too big for my cat to eat whole and if he finds the pill it is all over. The great thing about these things is they are the consistency of cookie dough so you can pinch them up and mold them around the pill. His larger pills I cut in half and make two "pill balls" but he snarfs them right up. This product has been a miracle for us! I just split the treats into six tiny balls and hide his pills in them and down the hatch they go. I have to make them small enough that he doesn't chew on them but IT WORKS. Morning and night pilling that used to leave us both panting and ****ed off is now TREAT TIME. If you have a difficult cat to pill I can't say enough about Pill Pockets. You can buy them online or at most of the pet food stores. (My cat likes chicken best!)

Anyway I just wanted to pass the info on in case any of you needed a better way to give your cat medicine. I wish I had found these years ago! Both of us would have less gray hair!

Also I don't own the company or have a financial interest etc (I just reread the above and it sounds like an infommercial!) I'm just recommending a product I love!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 03:53 PM

183 posts, read 1,102,934 times
Thanks! I have a cat with bladder issues (FUS) that he just started meds for and i hate it. I will try this!

Old 06-29-2007, 03:57 PM

607 posts, read 3,470,383 times
Ya know................... there's more than one way to pill a cat

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:59 PM

434 posts, read 1,679,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
Ya know................... there's more than one way to pill a cat

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 32,681 times
Default More than one way to pill a cat

Okay, so I thought I might invent something like this someday, but I see someone has beat me to it. Here's my home made recipe for "Gracie's Dough". She gets three pills a day and after a trip to the emergency room after she bit my thumb, not to mention all the stress it caused her, I came up with this. It took me awhile to find her favorite flavor, but now pilling her is a cinch.

Moist cat treats - about 25 (I use pounch moist Tuna)
1 Tablespoon rice flour
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Water to moisten - usually about the same as the flour and olive oil.

Grind the treats to a fine powder - I use my mortar and pestil. Mix in flour, then olive oil. It's kind of like making biscuits. Add water to make dough - too much will make it sticky and you don't want that. Wrap pills in dough and serve as an appetizer (yes, Gracie is a princess).

Another tip if you have to split meds that are in capsules or have bad tasting pills: I get empty capsules, size three or four and put the dose in a smaller capsule before I wrap it in the dough. It sounds time-consuming, but it's much less stressful than the old way. I get my capsules here Capsuline® Capsules - Empty Capsules, Gelatin Capsules, Vegetarian Capsules and Flavored Capsules (I found them after much Googling).

Hope this helps,

Gracie, Tux and Chester's mom.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:45 PM

3,138 posts, read 8,823,276 times
HOW TO GIVE YOUR CAT A PILL

1. Grasp cat firmly in your arms. Cradle its head on your elbow, just as if you were giving baby a bottle. Coo confidently, "That’s a nice kitty." Drop pill into its mouth.

2. Retrieve cat from top of lamp and pill from under sofa.

3. Follow same procedure as in 1, but hold cat's front paws down with left hand and back paws down with elbow of right arm. Poke pill into its mouth with right forefinger.

4. Retrieve cat from under bed. Get new pill from bottle. (Resist impulse to get new cat.)

5. Again proceed as in 1, except when you have cat firmly cradled in bottle-feeding position, sit down on edge of chair, fold your torso over cat, bring your right hand over your left elbow, open cat's mouth by lifting the upper jaw and pop the pill in - quickly. Since your head is down by your knees, you won't be able to see what you're doing. That's just as well.

6. Leave cat hanging on drapes. Leave pill in your hair.

7. If you're a woman, have a good cry. If you're a man, have a good cry.

8. Now pull yourself together. Who's the boss here anyway? Retrieve cat and pill. Assuming position 1, say sternly, "Who's the boss here, anyway?" Open cat's mouth, take pill and...Oooops!

9. This isn't working, is it? Collapse and think. Aha! Those flashing claws are causing the chaos.

10. Crawl to linen closet. Drag back large beach towel. Spread towel on floor.

11. Retrieve cat from kitchen counter and pill from potted plant.

12. Spread cat on towel near one end with its head over long edge.

13. Flatten cat's front and back legs over its stomach. (Resist impulse to flatten cat.)

14. Roll cat in towel. Work fast; time and tabbies wait for no man-or woman.

15. Resume position 1. Rotate your left hand to cat's head. Press it’s mouth at the jaw hinges like opening the petals of a snapdragon.

16. Drop pill into cat's mouth and poke gently. Voila! It's done.

17. Vacuum up loose fur (cat's). Apply bandages to wounds (yours).

18. Take two aspirins and lie down.

19. Find the pill the cat had hidden beneath its tongue and spit out under chair.

20. Return to step 1.

Liz

Old 07-09-2007, 09:09 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,509,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
HOW TO GIVE YOUR CAT A PILL

1. Grasp cat firmly in your arms. Cradle its head on your elbow, just as if you were giving baby a bottle. Coo confidently, "That’s a nice kitty." Drop pill into its mouth.

2. Retrieve cat from top of lamp and pill from under sofa.

3. Follow same procedure as in 1, but hold cat's front paws down with left hand and back paws down with elbow of right arm. Poke pill into its mouth with right forefinger.

4. Retrieve cat from under bed. Get new pill from bottle. (Resist impulse to get new cat.)

5. Again proceed as in 1, except when you have cat firmly cradled in bottle-feeding position, sit down on edge of chair, fold your torso over cat, bring your right hand over your left elbow, open cat's mouth by lifting the upper jaw and pop the pill in - quickly. Since your head is down by your knees, you won't be able to see what you're doing. That's just as well.

6. Leave cat hanging on drapes. Leave pill in your hair.

7. If you're a woman, have a good cry. If you're a man, have a good cry.

8. Now pull yourself together. Who's the boss here anyway? Retrieve cat and pill. Assuming position 1, say sternly, "Who's the boss here, anyway?" Open cat's mouth, take pill and...Oooops!

9. This isn't working, is it? Collapse and think. Aha! Those flashing claws are causing the chaos.

10. Crawl to linen closet. Drag back large beach towel. Spread towel on floor.

11. Retrieve cat from kitchen counter and pill from potted plant.

12. Spread cat on towel near one end with its head over long edge.

13. Flatten cat's front and back legs over its stomach. (Resist impulse to flatten cat.)

14. Roll cat in towel. Work fast; time and tabbies wait for no man-or woman.

15. Resume position 1. Rotate your left hand to cat's head. Press it’s mouth at the jaw hinges like opening the petals of a snapdragon.

16. Drop pill into cat's mouth and poke gently. Voila! It's done.

17. Vacuum up loose fur (cat's). Apply bandages to wounds (yours).

18. Take two aspirins and lie down.

19. Find the pill the cat had hidden beneath its tongue and spit out under chair.

20. Return to step 1.

Liz
How to give a dog a pill:

Step 1: wrap in bacon.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:03 AM

1 posts, read 25,826 times
My cat won't eat pill pockets, pills in cheese, peanut butter, hidden or ground up in his food. The pill popper syringe works sometimes, but it makes it more traumatic for both of us. My cat needs up to three pills a day, and my spouse recently died, so no help there. This is what works best for my cat. First I bring him to a counter as it's much easier to work standing upright. I hold him at the back of his neck & shoulder blades area so he doesn't move. I push him into a sphinx-like pose and wrap a tea towel around to cover his front paws and pull it snug around the back of the neck like a bib. Since he sometimes still gets his front claws out, I have learned a larger, quilted pot-holder works well. I place the pot-holder over his front paws over the tea towel. I get the pill in my right hand. Then leaving my left hand on the back of his neck, my forearm ( cat is facing right ) goes down the far side, my left elbow holds his butt in place and I lean down to keep his back claws out of the action. I brace myself and open his mouth at the hinge with my right hands thumb and middle finger, with my index finger I poke the pill down on the far side of his mouth as far as I can get it quickly behind his tongue. Then I quickly close his mouth and rub his throat until he swallows, then I open his mouth and poke around and look to make sure it's not still there. One fellow I just read, so I haven't tried yet, said to blow in their nose a time or two which should make them swallow as a reflex. Then I love on his head with my hands and tell him how well he did and give him a kiss on top of his head. Then unwrap him and gently set him down, normally where I found him. That's been working for me lately. Best Wishes to all.

Last edited by ZudaMadison; 09-10-2012 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 AM

15,703 posts, read 16,026,539 times
Minimlst......I have used the empty capsules you buy too.....but for a different reason.

I had a cat that needed several different meds.....each one cut into a quarter or half. Tiny pieces.

I put all of the cut up pills in ONE capsule so I only had to pill him once {using a pill gun} instead of three times. Less stress for both of us.

I also used them once to give Flagyl......you know how bitter and nasty they taste......pop it in a capsule and kitty won't get a taste and end up foaming at the mouth.

{Yes, I tasted a Flagyl once to see why my cat would literally foam at the mouth. I quickly understood why they foam at the mouth when they get any of that pill on their little tongues. }

Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 AM

9,370 posts, read 16,965,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZudaMadison View Post
My cat won't eat pill pockets, pills in cheese, peanut butter, hidden or ground up in his food. The pill popper syringe works sometimes, but it makes it more traumatic for both of us. My cat needs up to three pills a day, and my spouse recently died, so no help there. This is what works best for my cat. First I bring him to a counter as it's much easier to work standing upright. I hold him at the back of his neck & shoulder blades area so he doesn't move. I push him into a sphinx-like pose and wrap a tea towel around to cover his front paws and pull it snug around the back of the neck like a bib. Since he sometimes still gets his front claws out, I have learned a larger, quilted pot-holder works well. I place the pot-holder over his front paws over the tea towel. I get the pill in my right hand. Then leaving my left hand on the back of his neck, my forearm ( cat is facing right ) goes down the far side, my left elbow holds his butt in place and I lean down to keep his back claws out of the action. I brace myself and open his mouth at the hinge with my right hands thumb and middle finger, with my index finger I poke the pill down on the far side of his mouth as far as I can get it quickly behind his tongue. Then I quickly close his mouth and rub his throat until he swallows, then I open his mouth and poke around and look to make sure it's not still there. One fellow I just read, so I haven't tried yet, said to blow in their nose a time or two which should make them swallow as a reflex. Then I love on his head with my hands and tell him how well he did and give him a kiss on top of his head. Then unwrap him and gently set him down, normally where I found him. That's been working for me lately. Best Wishes to all.
Be sure to give a little treat after, a wet treat, to help wash the pill down and so kitty associates all this with something nice. A little blob of butter or yogurt is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats