U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 PM

737 posts, read 1,765,292 times

Advertisements

For the first time in 10 years, I noticed fleas on my indoor cats.

I bought Advantage today and treated them both. I vacuumed the rugs (I have hardwood floors) and ran the vacuum over the floors. Changed bedsheets, washed towels, etc. I sprayed an aerosol spray on the furniture and rugs, sprayed along the floorboards too.

Is there anything else I need to do right now? Do I need to continue to vacuum the rugs everyday? Would it be better to get a carpet powder? Is hiring a professional (Terminix, Orkin) worth it and how much does that cost? I haven't seen fleas hopping around anywhere except on the cats, and the dirt only where they tend to hang out. Even then, the fleas are only noticable when I dig into their thick fur. Not sure if that makes a difference in terms of "house infestation."

Any other basic help would be appreciated. I have an irrational fear of bugs and just seeing them on my cats has made ME start itching nonstop.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 PM

14,776 posts, read 29,630,888 times
There was just a thread on this.

The fleas come in from the outside on your clothes and shoes. I used Sevin5 dust on my rug, left it all day (or overnight) and put a piece of flea collar in my vacuum cleaner bag. Vacuuming as much as possible helps, too.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:23 AM

7,201 posts, read 13,596,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
There was just a thread on this.

The fleas come in from the outside on your clothes and shoes. I used Sevin5 dust on my rug, left it all day (or overnight) and put a piece of flea collar in my vacuum cleaner bag. Vacuuming as much as possible helps, too.
Sevin5 is not safe for you or the cats. Better yet get a flea hormone spray that keeps the larvae from turning into fleas. It's not harmful to you or your cats.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,386,698 times
Does the advantage seem to be killing the fleas on the cats? you can get capstar (which is a pill), it will kill all the fleas on them immediately after giving it. It is safe to use with the topical treatments, but it only lasts 24-48 hours so you"ll want to keep using the advantage on a monthly basis and get capstar when you have an infestation. After you give the capstar, brush them or bathe them to get all the dead fleas and flea dirt off. You should brush them regularly too after the capstar has worn off to make sure the advantage is working. If not there are other topicals you can give, I think advantage multi is better than regular advantage. There's also revolution.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:58 AM

399 posts, read 2,155,634 times
If you have INDOOR ONLY cats, this is an instance when Program once monthly pills works well. Only on indoor only pets. All it does is prevent flea eggs from hatching, no chemicals that are harmful to pets, no liquids to apply. Wish I could use it, but I have dogs, too

Old 09-16-2010, 12:04 PM

14,776 posts, read 29,630,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Sevin5 is not safe for you or the cats. Better yet get a flea hormone spray that keeps the larvae from turning into fleas. It's not harmful to you or your cats.
I've used Sevin5 without a problem, and my ex used to use it on his dog. And that was at the advice of the vet. It was also recommended to me by several groomers to take care of the carpet problem, and the cat was taken care of by Advantage.

If you want to get rid of them in the carpet, you have to treat it. I don't have any problems now - I treat the carpet with Sevin5 every spring, and the cat gets Advantage every month.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:23 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,596,329 times
And both my vet and my Dr. told me to avoid it. So who is right? Sevin I believe effects the nerves. I can't quite remember the dangers it posed but BOTH were adamant I don't use it indoors. And no, they weren't selling flea-hormone sprays. I got that from a pet store that used to be in town. It can be found online.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:19 PM

737 posts, read 1,765,292 times
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've read online about Capster, it seems to be pretty safe. Which is odd, I would figure anything swallowed that makes fleas die within 30 min would be rather toxic to the cat, but apparently not. I think i will look for it tonight, I really want to give them some immediate relief from the fleas. Now I just have to figure out how to get my finicky cats to eat a pill without getting my eyes scratched out

Old 09-16-2010, 04:21 PM

54 posts, read 218,406 times
I wouldn't worry so, you put on flea killing stuff that will last long enough to break the cycle safe vet approved flea killing stuff. vac the house and forget it.

PS (flea collars are not a good idea use them in the vac bag instead).

Old 09-17-2010, 10:16 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,386,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristenS View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I've read online about Capster, it seems to be pretty safe. Which is odd, I would figure anything swallowed that makes fleas die within 30 min would be rather toxic to the cat, but apparently not. I think i will look for it tonight, I really want to give them some immediate relief from the fleas. Now I just have to figure out how to get my finicky cats to eat a pill without getting my eyes scratched out
You can get a "piller" from the vet that might help. I know my vet will also administer meds for a small fee, I think it's like $3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats