Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:30 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,527 times

Advertisements

GooseO, you are definitely on the right track, and I encourage you to keep it up. When I decided to stop feeding all dry food, I literally dumped every 40 pound bag into the garbage and told my cats, if you don't want to eat what I put down for you, you will go hungry. They haven't gone hungry!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 09-16-2010 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM

54 posts, read 228,919 times
The people here have all posted good advice on what is and not is good food for pet cats. Me, I feed Natures Logic and Instincts canned only, mixed with wellness grain free canned.

In my suituation its the best I can do.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:51 PM

38 posts, read 97,629 times
I'll have to look for Natures Logic, its one I haven't tried yet.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 AM

54 posts, read 228,919 times
Good brands are as follows

Instincts canned

Natures logic canned

Wellness core canned

Go canned

EVO used to be good but then they got brought by the makers of IAMS.

Feeding dry food all the time can lead to many health issues such as obesity, dental disease, kidney issues, ect.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 PM

947 posts, read 3,408,763 times
Hi there!

Just reading this thread now for the first time.

I have to say that although I know Wellness is a really good food, my kittys do not like it anymore. And I believe the Wellness CORE is much better than the regular Wellness. And... it does not have any Chunks of food in it which my kittys both like.

So, ok, First off I would get rid of all "junk" kitty food that is in your house, so you do not grab it when they are being picky and then they know you will give in and so they wait!!! they are Smart!!!

What my kittys like now:
all are "chunky" style.

**Weruva --- always go for ones that are NOT beef, lamb... those are "heavier" "hotter" food items.
they like: Mediterranean Harvest- tuna and veggies no grain, love this 1!
Funky Chunky- chicken, Green Eggs & Chicken - chicken based
they have lots of kinds!

**HALO --- turkey or chicken

**Merrick --- turkey they like best.
(~have tried the California roll, and Ocean fish one... don't like it.)

**Pet Promise --- again chicken and turkey varieties

I do always have Sardines in house, couple cans, if they are having a "picky" moment/time, (not often) I add a Little to the top of food, and some of the Juice, I add about... how do I say it... 1 to 2 inches of sardine!

Chicken broth in house is good as well, only the more natural type, Not the one with corn syrup in it or lots of salt. add it to food, to keep hydrated.

i only feed Wet canned food. and always feeding a variety, Never just one brand of food, and of course not same brand and same variety.

raw can be good, but it is not always good for every kitty.
must do research on that before you set forth down that road.
i did not and one of my kittys , didn't get sick from the "meat" itself, (imo) but after a few times occasions of feeding raw meat to them, one feeding session (which was the last time i ever fed a raw/semi raw meal to them) she threw it up only a few minutes after consumption and was feeling ill for a about 24 hrs..
I kept monitoring her and gave Aloe Vera juice to her, that helped with hydration as well, and Slippery Elm bark is also good, I mixed with Aloe jucie or can mix with water or chick broth.

good things to keep in house:
Aloe vera juice - for hydration
Slippery elm bark - upset tummy
(good for humans too)

Anyway, after discussing with my holistic vet about what "I did" ... feed my kitty raw when didn't do much research, she told me that feed no raw to Bunbun becuz she just won't do well with it, and sure she explained more but do not remember exactly, all that I do remember is, Bunbun's last reaction that she got... so after seeing that and talking with vet, getting her advice I will not go there again.
anyway, every- Body is different.

another food, think the whole brand that did Not do well for by kitties, both of them...
bff brand = best feline friend brand...
don't understand why, too much fish?! lots of tuna, but they like tuna ... maybe too much at one time, i look at ingredients= no grain, but no veggies either, maybe that is it.

ok, thats a lot for now!!!

i tend to write too much in one post i think...

Old 09-19-2010, 04:32 PM

689 posts, read 1,656,782 times
I feed my cat Nature's Variety raw food. I just can't make my own, so this is the next best thing. He has been eating it for about 2.5 months now and is doing well.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
I feed my cat Nature's Variety raw food. I just can't make my own, so this is the next best thing. He has been eating it for about 2.5 months now and is doing well.

I picked up some Nature;s Variety raw, they don't like that one as much as the raw that I make for them. Also they don't seem to like the Natures Variety canned as well.

I tried some Go, Chicken,Turkey,Duck the kittens liked it but the older cat wouldn't touch it. I do give them some Weruva, but here in Vancouver BC, it is $2.50 per can and we don't get all the varieties. Also there is only one store that carries it and it's a 45 min drive.

Does anyone have any opinion on Natures Balance, Limited ING. The older fussy cat seems to like that one. I'm not sure how healthy it is, but it must be better than Friskies.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:09 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Our cats all eat Wellness canned also. Chicken flavor. I add a bit of water to it to give it that "gravy" texture. Adding the water changed them from liking Wellness to LOVING it.

Thanks for the tip. I just ran out at lunchtime and bought a can of Wellness chicken to try on my boy cat. Like the OP, I have a cat who will mostly eat only dry Friskies, and after reading up on this, I want to switch him over. He sometimes eats the other cats' wet food, and he eats chicken or beef that I make it for myself and then give him some, but he hears me pouring the dry food into the bowl and comes running. My boy is only 5, but he is overweight and his skin seems dry and itchy lately and after reading these threads and external links I want to get him off the dry food. I have two other cats who will not eat dry food and one who eats wet but will crunch on the dry food here and there. However, one of the wet-onlies won't eat ANY cat food. I usually give her tuna, but then I heard THAT'S not a good idea because of mercury, so lately I've giving her cooked chicken. I'll see if she will try the wellness chicken, too.

This is worse than feeding a picky child. Actually, my only child, now 19, has to be on a gluten-free diet so maybe I should just feed her and the cats all the same thing and call it a day.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-20-2010 at 12:19 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

This is worse than feeding a picky child. Actually, my only child, now 19, has to be on a gluten-free diet so maybe I should just feed her and the cats all the same thing and call it a day.

HaHaHa!

Your right it is harder than feeding a picky child.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Well my cat goes bald on those friskies etc. He loves them and eats them like crazy. I switched to IAMS and he was better for awhile. But now he is on castor pollux.

Something I notice in myself and my cat: Whenever higher quality food is eaten, less total is eaten. He does not go "crack head crazy" over the castor pollux but he grew to like it. He loves the canned stuff right off the bat and now he likes the dry stuff too. But he was not too into it at first either. I have to wonder if its the same reason unhealthy people don't like healthy food. Unhealthy food can kill your taste buds so healthy food tastes like nothing.

To stimulate him to eat I would run his ceramic dish under hot water and then put the canned stuff on while the dish was still hot. The heat made it more smelly. He gobbled it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats