U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 AM

38 posts, read 87,770 times

Advertisements

In April I lost my 12 year old baby, Max. He had renal failure. After he died I started doing some research on a healthier diet. I now have 2 new kittens. I've been trying to feed them a better quality food.

So far I've tried Natures Variety Instincts, Blue Buffalo, Ziwi, Natural Balance, Weruva and a few others. Some of these they eat once or twice and then turn their noses up, the only one they really seem to like is Weruva, I don't mind feeding it to them sometimes but its pretty costly. I also feed them some raw food which they seem to like. They will eat junkie Friskies whenever I give it to them. I'm beginning to dread feeding times because I want them to eat the healthy food but they want junk.

I have to have Friskies in the house because I also have another 12 who is very fussy and barely eats wet food. Should I stop stressing and just feed them a mix of raw, Weruva and Friskies?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 AM

5,144 posts, read 10,623,829 times
I would really try very hard to feed the kitties the healthy food. In the long run it will not only prolong their lives, but save you money for vet bills! Is there any way you can feed the kittens separate and just give them the healthy food? Do you feed wet, both or dry only? I find that my kitties really like Wellness canned food and "Blue" dry food. I would feed at least half canned food. If you feed them this food exclusively after a while they will learn to "live with it". The stuff that is in Friskies is all the stuff not fit for human consumption, so why would I want my cats to eat this junk? Good luck with your new kitties!!!!

forum rules, please read them

Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 AM

7,201 posts, read 13,010,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goose0 View Post
In April I lost my 12 year old baby, Max. He had renal failure. After he died I started doing some research on a healthier diet. I now have 2 new kittens. I've been trying to feed them a better quality food.

So far I've tried Natures Variety Instincts, Blue Buffalo, Ziwi, Natural Balance, Weruva and a few others. Some of these they eat once or twice and then turn their noses up, the only one they really seem to like is Weruva, I don't mind feeding it to them sometimes but its pretty costly. I also feed them some raw food which they seem to like. They will eat junkie Friskies whenever I give it to them. I'm beginning to dread feeding times because I want them to eat the healthy food but they want junk.

I have to have Friskies in the house because I also have another 12 who is very fussy and barely eats wet food. Should I stop stressing and just feed them a mix of raw, Weruva and Friskies?
Don't even keep "junk food" in the house. Cats can smell cheap junk food from 100' away. Like human children they'll want that. You know what's best for them so feed them that and that alone. They will not starve themselves to death. Avoid dry food as much as possible. It's becoming better known all the time that it's one of the major causes of disease in cats today.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 AM

605 posts, read 2,743,360 times
I went through this too, with my 13 year old Abby. I had realized the benefits of wet food earlier, but unfortunately Abby refused to eat anything but dry kibble, and I didn't push it with her. I fed her high quality kibble the last few years of her life, but I think the damage was done early on. Cats who eat only dry food can often be chronically dehydrated - even if you *think* they are drinking enough water, they may still be dehydrated.

I tried raw but I had some problems with Manny peeing (he got FLUTD and blocked) and I think it may have not been balanced for him. I had a hard time getting organs, and since I don't have a separate freezer, it was expensive.

Now I feed my cats exclusively Wellness canned. They do well on it, and eat it right up. I feed 90% grain free chicken or turkey flavors; the other 10% is one of the beef, chicken or turkey mixed with fish flavors.

My cats LOVE Weruva, but it is 20 cents more per can, and I worried about giving them so much fish. Wellness is the only thing that I have tried that they will eat without fail, but I stick to a pretty strict feeding schedule and they know they have to eat or my dog will clean it up (in reality, I don't let them go hungry because it is bad for cats not to eat. But they know if they don't eat Simon *will* eat their food).

I keep a can of fishy food (Weruva, Tiki Cat or BFF) around for those times so whichever cat skipped a meal won't go hungry, but it is very very rare that they don't clean up the canned Wellness. I feed them all (I have 3 cats) separately, and 99% of the time I get perfectly clean plates.

I do give a tbsp. or so of dry Wellness Core each evening to each cat - just because when we go away for the weekend I need to leave dry down for them and if they are used to eating it nightly they don't have litterbox issues. But with your 12 year old I'd push the wet food issue...I feel if I had made more of an effort to get Abby to eat canned she may have still been with me today.

So after a long post, my advice is to pick a canned food that fits your budget and that your cats will eat, and start being strict. If they turn their noses up, try it again. I though my tortie hated Wellness because she refused it the first few times I offered it, but now she loves it.

Quote:
I'm beginning to dread feeding times because I want them to eat the healthy food but they want junk.
Sounds familiar!

Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 PM

1,740 posts, read 4,854,032 times
Our cats all eat Wellness canned also. Chicken flavor. I add a bit of water to it to give it that "gravy" texture. Adding the water changed them from liking Wellness to LOVING it.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM

I've tried the Wellness, one of the kitties gets terrible gas and runny stools from it. Maybe when they get a little older they will be able to handle it better. I guess I'll just have to persever with the healthy food, if they get hungry they'll eat it.

My older cat does eat wet food every day she just only will eat 1 Tbsp at a time. She used to eat more until her brother died.

When I make the raw food for the kitties I add TCfeline mix. It makes it a complete food then.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:13 PM

2,888 posts, read 5,842,658 times
Although cats are carnivores, cats in renal failure "may" have problems with high protein diets. The biggest is issue is to reduce phosphorus intake (which can be accomplished by restricting protein). Omega-3 fatty acids are also supposed to good.

Whatever you do, make sure your cat eats enough and drinks enough. Canned foods are helpful at achieving both these goals.

We have an elderly cat in early stages of renal failure that has been plugging along on a low protien diet for years. However, he also eats the other cats' food so any decrease in his protien is being counterbalanced by everyone else's high protien diet.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM

2,455 posts, read 5,939,745 times
There is a lot of good advice here!

My advice rings within the same music as some of the previous posters. Get rid of the junk food and stick strictly to a quality food that is within your budget. Weruva is best in my opinion. Nature's Variety is another best. And even better then best, is the raw diet. If you are having trouble finding organs, buy whole chicken with giblets included. You need the heart, liver and kidneys. Forget the brain, you won't find it, so make sure you are adding Taurine and enough of it when you make the raw. If you are happy with the way you are making the raw, I say stick with that. But, if not, here is a link for a raw diet and a lot of extremely enlightening information.

Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.php - broken link)

I have seen with my own eyes what a major difference diet alone does make. My cats only eat a combination of raw (I also believe variety is a key in their overall wellness), Weruva BBQ Red Eyed Salmon, and Nature's Variety.

Please don't wait until it is too late with your other cats. One hard lesson is more then enough to learn.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:26 PM

2,455 posts, read 5,939,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Although cats are carnivores, cats in renal failure "may" have problems with high protein diets. The biggest is issue is to reduce phosphorus intake (which can be accomplished by restricting protein). Omega-3 fatty acids are also supposed to good.

Whatever you do, make sure your cat eats enough and drinks enough. Canned foods are helpful at achieving both these goals.

We have an elderly cat in early stages of renal failure that has been plugging along on a low protien diet for years. However, he also eats the other cats' food so any decrease in his protien is being counterbalanced by everyone else's high protien diet.
I really have to disagree with this. I have a total of 6 FLUTD cats, and ALL are overcoming their dis-ease by eating raw chicken, Weruva BBQ Red Eyed Salmon, and Nature's Variety. I know the vets say high fat diet is best, but I am standing on what I am experiencing in my own life, and I say they are wrong.

Cats need to eat as carnivores, and if you feed them any different, their existing conditions will worsen.

No, I am not a vet. I am speaking on my experience.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 09-16-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Garden of Eden, that is exactly why I'm trying to push the healthy food. I don't want to end up with renal failure again. They seem to really like the raw, but I do like to use canned food. It
makes it easier if they eat some canned if we go away and someone needs to watch them.

I put all the junk food in the basement pantry and will only give them the good stuff. I'll have to leave the dry food for the older cat until she learns to eat the new food. Thanks for all the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats