Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

That's how we got Marshmallow---he belonged to an elderly lady who had to go into a nursing home and had no one to care for him. Her relatives placed Marshmallow in an animal shelter, my son's boy scout troop was volunteering there one day, I was helping, and found him. A big boy, probably a Maine Coon mix, beautiful, mostly white with a fluffy black tail.

He probably would have been put down if I hadn't taken him, lucky for both of us I showed up that day1 he's curled up right ow at my feet, my happy boy!

Its sad when an owner predeceases his pet.We put in our wills that our son is to be the guardian of our pets, and is bequethed $1000 for their care. Lets face it, he would need that much for temporary housing, cages, transport, vet bills, etc, if he either rehomed them or kept them. That's not too much to rehome the cats. Of course, our kids get way more than that!

Just a suggestion, appoint someone as a guardian for the pets, that way they can legally enter your residence and remove the animals and arrange for their care. But I'm not planning on leaving my kids or pets any time soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 03:05 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I think this discussion is approaching the fact that we sorely need laws to protect pets and to decrease their numbers so that the number of pets approximates the numbers of good homes.

Yeah, there should be legal stipulation that you neuter a pet unless you have a breeder's license, and there should be an inspection and qualification for that license.

Just as people bringing children into the world KNOWING that they cannot afford them (in both personal time, physical and mental ability and finances), so should irresponsible pet ownership be discouraged.

Some pet animals test at the intelligence level of a 5 year old child. Would we be able to abuse our children the way some of us abuse our pets?

Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I agree, although I have serious reservations about who would be doing inspections and what the qualifications would be. But I certainly do go along with the overpopulation issue, both for pets and humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats