Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 AM

112 posts, read 277,900 times

Advertisements

Theres a cat making its home around my covered patio. Ive seen her around a couple times but she always runs away. Today i saw her again and i think she is pregnant, i was able to get her to eat some tuna and drink some milk. Do you think shes going to give birth soon? I contacted one rescue about her but they just said that they could spay her but not take her. I read when you spay a cat when pregnant that they abort the kittens and i dont want that to happen, i contacted someothers and hope to hear back tomorrow, do most rescues spay and abort the litter or will they help her through pregnancy and adopt them all out if i can catch her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 02:48 AM

44 posts, read 144,706 times
I don't know what the rules of the Animal Shelters are in your area. I'd have to guess that the HUMANE SOCIETY ANIMAL SHELTER would NOT abort the kittens. You have to make sure wherever you go for help, ask if they are a NO KILL shelter.

The other option is, you help this mamma cat & her soon-to-be kittens. That way you can be sure the kittens are safe. Then, once they are close to weaning, say 4 weeks along (8 wks is weaned, I think), you can advertise in your local paper "Kittens Need Home" (free ad most likely).

I wish you well....update me if you want.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:01 AM

ill do that, i may be busy soon though or i would probably help her myself but i need to get my life going. I hope i can get her to a humane society, an spca would be good to right? Im not sure how to catch her either, she will get close and let me touch a bit but will run away and get some distance if i move to quickly. I was thinking of trying to lead her into a carrier with tuna, she seemed to like that.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 AM

11,184 posts, read 19,343,127 times
Sounds like you were Chosen. If you want her to have healthy kittens, you will need to start feeding her cat food, not tuna. Tuna is not good for cats in general and does not have all the nutrients she or her unborn babies need.

I imagine most shelters do spay/abort.

You will need to spay/neuter the kittens and the mother, once the kittens are weaned. Charge a small adoption fee to help ensure they don't go to people who are looking for dog fight bait, laboratory animals, or "free kittens" to play torture games with.

If you don't want to do all that, take her to a shelter and accept that she will be spared from having to have the kittens, which is, in my opinion, a good thing.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:45 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,341,232 times
You can do a search on Petfinder for shelters/rescues near your zip code and call them for their policies and whether they are able to take her in, with or without kittens. Some of them will loan you a humane trap (they'll probably ask for a monetary deposit). I agree with catsmom that if you can't find one that will allow her to keep the kittens, it's much better to have her spayed now. Cat overpopulation is worse than dog overpopulation, and many more cats than are euthanized throughtout the country. She will lose this litter but you'll be preventing more litters throughout her lifespan,and many of those kittens would probably wind up losing their lives one way or another.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:06 AM

I dont feel right with the aborting of her babies even though she wont get to live with them through life, im against abortion. I contacted a few shelters and am waiting to hear back.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:42 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,772,135 times
abortion for people and cats are not the same. you already know these kittens will probably not live anyway unless you are willing to keep them all, have they fixed and be responsible for them in every way. We are trying to tell you these kittens are doomed and probably the mother too. Please inform yourself about the TREMENDOUS problem with overpopulation of cats.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:44 AM

169 posts, read 826,587 times
I had a similar situation happen except the momma was friendly. The vet told us that generally when they're pregnant their temperment is a lot more mellow, hence why she was so friendly. It's going to be hard to tell how soon she's going to give birth if you can't really get ahold of her to feel. The momma cat we rescued showed no signs of pregnancy to us but once the vet felt her they said it was either babies or worms. So I'm going to assume the kitty showing up on your patio is a lot further along.

If she winds up coming around and you can get a feel of her belly, see if you can feel anything kicking or turning. When Spikey had about 3 weeks left her babies got extremely active. I'm going to assume most shelters would spay/abort The vet offered the same option to us but once we saw the x-ray of them, their little skulls and spines formed we couldn't agree to that. Now we couldn't be happier with the babies we saved. If you plan on helping her along, get her some kitten dry food. Even if you get some inexpensive whiska's or something it'll help.

Also, if you plan on helping her along, try to spend some good quality time getting her to come around and trust you. If you can build some trust she should come to you when she's ready to give birth. Spikey was very distant when we brought her inside but once she started going into labor she laid right down beside me. I would try to find an SPCA over a local humane society. Subject2change's suggestion is great. Search for a place that will loan you a humane trap. It's going to be a lot easier to catch her in one of those than a carrier. You'd just place a can of wet food in there and wait

Last edited by rockrchick; 03-24-2012 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: spelling edit

Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 PM

44 posts, read 144,706 times
It never ocurred to me that people might have intentions of using kittens to torture for evil pleasures. I should know better! A year or so back, my hubby brought home a young male cat, maybe 3-4 months old he found on the side of the road. The kitten had huge very swollen burned injuries (2) to the back of his neck, (from the size, we thought from a cigar maybe). His whiskers were burned & a place near his mouth. I put neosporin on the places until they healed. A few months later we got him neutered. His fur never grew back. I'm sort of like catsmom21 with her "you're chosen comment". I tend to think I'm the ONLY ONE who can take care of an animal who crosses my pathway. It can be a good thing, but also can be to a fault. We have 4 indoor cats & 1 outside (who refuses to be indoors). All are spayed/neutered. Animal abortions may not have the same emotional & moral impact as with humans. She will not realize, after the spay surgery, that she is no longer pregnant. And again, it would save her from furture litters who could have an especially bleak future. Also, with our current economy so many people have relinquished to the shelter, their pets due to lack of funds to provide for them. Hope this helps. I know I may not have given as soild advice as some, but I tend to think off the chart...where animals think like humans.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,654 times
I have a question.. We found a stray cat about 2 years ago and we brought her in and took care of her. she became really friendly and a house cat, she loved people. about a year ago one of our neighbors cats snuck into our window and my cat became pregnant... when she was pregnant she was real mellow and nice... she always use to lay with us and she was real friendly once again.. after she had the kitten she became like a stray again.. she hides in the other room and she runs away when people walk in she dont like being seen.. she comes out to eat and when she see's people she runs and hides... we were wondering why she became like that once again after she had her kitten
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats