Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM

88 posts, read 247,067 times

Advertisements

My neighbor took in a stray a few months ago,we thought she was just a kitten BUT she just gave birth to 4 kittens so.....I said I would take one as long as my dogs adapted well (don't want the kitty hurt)
I know I will need to get kitty fixed and shots???? I've always owned dogs,new to cats.
Would appreciate insight into the world of cats,what I will be dealing with especially pertaining to healh,vet cost and anything helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 01:07 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
Years ago I had a kitten and a rotty get along just fine. My brother has a cat and a Golden Retriever. The cat weighs about 7 pounds and she hold her own with the dog.

Since you have big dogs- the food isn't going to be as expensive.

Health costs? For a yearly check up and so forth my vet charges about 65 dollars. But of course if there's something else with a cat the vet needs to see to it adds more to cost. But I have a diabetic cat and the cost for keeping him isn't that bad. So for a normal healthy cat the cost compared to that wouldn't be too bad.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Thanks for replying. I'm sure my male dog will be fine,he's 6 yrs old and when he was younger I would take him with me to visit my friend out of state that had a cat and he was fine,he wanted to be friends and play but the cat was older and not interested so he didn't bother. The female I inherited last yr is 2 yrs old and has never been around a cat and loves to play so if all goes well she may have a playmate.
I had my dogs shots updated last April and it cost me $300 just for a yearly checkup and their shots
I've gotta figure out where to put kitty's food so dogs won't eat it,Dogs seem to love cat food!lol

Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmypets View Post
Thanks for replying. I'm sure my male dog will be fine,he's 6 yrs old and when he was younger I would take him with me to visit my friend out of state that had a cat and he was fine,he wanted to be friends and play but the cat was older and not interested so he didn't bother. The female I inherited last yr is 2 yrs old and has never been around a cat and loves to play so if all goes well she may have a playmate.
I had my dogs shots updated last April and it cost me $300 just for a yearly checkup and their shots
I've gotta figure out where to put kitty's food so dogs won't eat it,Dogs seem to love cat food!lol

Sure no problem

My brother has a problem with the dog wanting to eat the cat food too. So he put the food where the dog doesn't hang out on a table, and pushed the food back far enough to where the dog tries to get up at get it, but doesn't. She almost has to get on the table to get to the food.

Yeah, a $300.00 vet bill for a cats shots and check up would be a little on the high side. I think that much would cover my diabetic cat for 4 months.

So it sounds like you got it figured out. When will you get to bring home the cat?

Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 PM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Yeah, keeping pets out of each other's food can be tricky but it all gets sorted out eventually.

Whatever you do, wait until kitty is 10-12 weeks old (12 weeks is better) before you accept her and bring her into your home. Before then, he/she will be too young, especially for two large dogs who will want to interact/play. Also, make sure that you keep her in a separate room for a few weeks so that she (and the dogs) can get used to one another safely. Allow the dogs to sniff under the door and vice-versa. You can put up a baby gate towards the third week so that they can see one another at a distance. And, of course, always supervise "play" times and/or anytime there is interaction. Also, you might think about training your dogs (if you haven't already) to respond to a "leave it" command in case they get too rambunctious with the kitten (where you say "leave it" and they immediately remove themselves from the situation, stop chasing the cat, etc.).

That said, everything will probably be a lot easier than expected but you should take the necessary precautions. Everytime I have seen initial meet-and-greets between kittens and dogs, there has always been some hissing and spitting on the part of the cat (which is natural b/c dogs are so much bigger and intimidating) coupled with utter bewilderment on the part of the dog (as in "why is this tiny thing making those noises at me?! I didn't even do anything!!") The next stage usually involves much play where the now-confidant kitty will begin attacking everything in sight, including human pant legs and the dogs, usually when they are lying down and, therefore, vulnerable; the dogs usually just sit there and take it while giving their human caretakers a "why me?" look. As they get older, cat and dog(s) usually bond and, even, sleep together. They all become one big pack.

So, in short, you all will be fine. Also, don't forget to "kitten-proof" your house before the kitten comes (in addition to buying all of the kitten accoutrements, i.e. litter pan, toys, food, etc.) Keep house plants outside, tie up mini-blind cords, leave toilet lids down at all times and try to find some way to prevent the cat from chewing on the electical cords (there's another thread to consult for that one ).

Good luck and please post pics if/when you have a new addition to your furbutt brood!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:41 PM

My neighbor wanted to part with the kittens as soon as they turned 6 weeks old but maybe I can get him to keep one for me till it is 10-12 weeks old and at 6-7 weeks I could bring kitty over to my house for daily visits to get aquanted with my guys.They were born 9/24,I marked it on my calendar in case I took one I would know.
Both my dogs like to share my bed,Looks like it may get a little more crowded in the near future,lol
Once I figure out how to attach pictures I will gladly do so

Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
I'd recommend that you get two or more cats, particularly since they're very young kittens who will expect every other creature to play constantly. Two of them will spend more time playing with each other. Don't worry; they'll find plenty of time for the dogs.

Do not feed your cats dry food. Cats are obligate carnivores. That means they must have meat. Dry food is deficient in this. Cats who eat wet food only almost never get diabetes.

I've had dogs and cats together for years with no problem. Some ignore each other. Sometimes dogs are afraid of cats. But sometimes a cat follows a dog all over the house, A cat seems to find a favorite if there's more than one dog..

And remember, keep them inside; get them neutered; do not get them declawed.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:29 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Both will adapt to each other, but it could take time. To help the process early on....rub down the kitten and the dogs, each with a towel and exchange towels...ie...the dog has access to the kitten towel and vice-a-versa. This will help acclimate them to each others scent.
I have a big ole Golden who loves cat food and cat droppings in the litterbox (ewww)....So food is kept on top of the counter in the utility room...(The kitten will need a booster for awhile) and the litterboxes are all covered boxes.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
You may want to keep the kitten in a separate room with a baby gate, that way the kitten and dogs can get used to each other's scent and the dogs can get used to having the kitten around. At 6 weeks the kitten is going to be so tiny and fragile, you can always keep kitty in the separate room until you feel he is big enough to handle the dogs. It all depends on how calm the dogs are around the kitten. A well adjusted kitten is probably not going to be afraid of the dogs, which is a good thing if the dogs are gentle. Just make sure to watch them at all times, don't leave them alone together. And make sure the dogs get quiet time without the kitty if they need it.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:06 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'd recommend that you get two or more cats, particularly since they're very young kittens who will expect every other creature to play constantly. Two of them will spend more time playing with each other. Don't worry; they'll find plenty of time for the dogs.
I was going to recommend this too

We just went/are going through this. I've always had cats, but this was the first time we've ever brought kittens into the home with a large dog involved. I will have to say, I am so glad we got two of them because they entertain each other for hours.

We've had a longer adjustment period with the old cat than with the dog.

One kitten has really taken to the dog. I keep an eye on it - but so far the dog just keeps getting up and moving when the kitten annoys her. The kitten just wants to cuddle, but the dog...not so much. She'll put up with it for a bit. She will bathe them a little too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats