Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times

Advertisements

As some of you who have followed the story know, I have a stray cat and five kittens (now seven months old). The two females are soon to be fixed, the mother is fixed, and two of the three males were taken to a new home about 2-3 miles away. I thought that would be the end of the drama.

I fed the cats we still have (which are 4) this morning and surprise! The male tabby has reappeared. I don't know how he walked all that way to get back to his mother, but somehow he did.

Anyway, I called the owner and left a message but I haven't heard anything back. I guess the other male we gave away is still at his new owners house.

Why did the male come back? I don't know if he noticed his unspayed sisters (who will be spayed soon), if he missed his mother, or if he just missed this place. Whatever the reason, I want him to go back to his new family. They'll miss him if he's not around.

Any advice? If I take him back to his new house will he come back again? Will it stop once he starts noticing females in his own area?

I love cats, but they frustrate me sometimes. I love him but he needs to be with his new owners. He doesn't see it that way.

How does a cat walk 2-3 miles to get back home and how did he know which direction to go?

It's a puzzle. That's for sure.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 03:42 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,840 times
That's funny. My cousin had a dog. He lived the same distance. He always visited with the dog. One day I came home from work and the dog was on my doorstep. I called my cous and told him to get the dog. Who the hell are you to leave your dog here. He said, childfree he came over alone. I didn't bring him. Whatever, dude. Come and get the mut. I came home the next day. What happened. The dog again. It happened for a solid week.

What happened in the end. I had a new dog. Maybe he woke up and said to himself. I'm moving. I don't like him human anymore. That lady is always nice to me. I'm walking down the street.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:03 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Why did the male come back?
Any advice? If I take him back to his new house will he come back again? Will it stop once he starts noticing females in his own area?

I love cats, but they frustrate me sometimes. I love him but he needs to be with his new owners. He doesn't see it that way.

How does a cat walk 2-3 miles to get back home and how did he know which direction to go?

It's a puzzle. That's for sure.
This is very sad. He obviously missed the home you provided for him and his family. He will most likely keep returning unless some predator gets him or he gets run over by a car.

The last cat I vetted and gave to a Rescue turned into a similar experience. The woman found him a home and 3 days later he bolted out the door and was never seen again. I put 6 months and $150 into that cat and he's gone. Because of the huge lake between us he will never find his way back to me.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:06 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
Some cats have a way of finding home. It's like those stories where the family moves far away and the cat gets out and heads to it's old home.

Getting the cat neutered will help in the roaming situation.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:18 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
It's because he loves you.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 PM

249 posts, read 882,936 times
They probably dropped him off in your yard.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
why did you only get the females fixed? it takes 2 to make babies.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:26 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I think that he was probably dropped off. That is why the owners did not call you back.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:00 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Two or three miles are nothing to a cat or dog, there are many tales of pets finding their way back home from hundreds of miles away. Chances are good that the cat will return again until or unless there are incentives for him to stay in his new home and he feels comfortable there.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:55 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
why did you only get the females fixed? it takes 2 to make babies.
Getting the two females fixed will be about $300 and getting the 3 males fixed would probably be close to $200. I really can't afford it. We can only get both females fixed because I got $100 in donations for one and my parents are covering the rest. We really don't have the kind of money to spend on strays and my parents don't want to spend that much anyway, which I understand.

It's hard to explain it all here but it's explained more in my thread. Getting cats spayed/neuter is expensive when you have no low-cost spay/neuter. I would have taken them to a good shelter, but the shelters are all full and we don't even have a pound in my county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats