Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

Nimbus doesn't need petting to eat, but sometimes if the food isn't something that immediately interests him, the surefire way to get him to eat some is to hold the bowl for him. It's like he can't resist being "served" by his people. He's very "OK, fine, if you insist" about it. He's a persnickety cat when it comes to food sometimes, a meal he liked the other day, today he might just sniff, look, and then walk away or sit and look at me like he's waiting to be given some REAL food. And while I kinda get it because I'm not in the mood for the exact same food every single day myself, it's not like he can TELL us what he wants.

Although one trick we do sometimes is to hold out two cans and he'll rub his face on the one he wants. We've found that letting him "choose" also seems to make him more inclined to eat what he's given. I don't think he actually knows what's in the can specifically before it's opened though.

Indulging cat quirks is part of the fun of having a cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 05:33 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
I totaly agree, they are fun!

When mine recently spent a few days at emergency care they said they tried to feed her and we also took her favorite food for them to feed, but she wasn't interested. When it was finally time to bring her home, I look some food with us so she could eat right away. She nearly knocked me over to get to her food which totally tweeked the hospital staff who stomped out of the waiting room.

What has my life become?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:57 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I totaly agree, they are fun!

When mine recently spent a few days at emergency care they said they tried to feed her and we also took her favorite food for them to feed, but she wasn't interested. When it was finally time to bring her home, I look some food with us so she could eat right away. She nearly knocked me over to get to her food which totally tweeked the hospital staff who stomped out of the waiting room.

What has my life become?
Much better for having cats in it.

My philosophical thought for the day; One must always keep a positive attitude when living with a cat.

(Seems to help me, anyway.)

Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,502 times
One of my cats, gets petted for the first few minutes while he eats. It started a bit over a year ago when he was very sick. He had a blockage and the Dr. said no more dry food. He used to only get canned food for breakfast. I had to switch him ( and the others to canned food full time because they eat each other's food) He wasn't thrilled, and was very picky to be on canned food only and have no dry food out, so I started petting him for encouragement and now he expects it all of the time, I don't mind lol. He's my baby. So every meal comes with a good petting.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,193,896 times
Default Goes back to babyhood

A vet once told me that they will sit and pet their client cats that won't eat and it often encourages them to eat a little when they're not feeling well. I goes back to babyhood. Mama will lick her babies to both clean them and it encourages them to suckle. Grown cats will still respond to that stroking sensation which encourages their appetites (whether it was mama's tongue, or your hand). I noticed that it works with my kitties too. If one walks up to the bowl and is lukewarm about eating, if i pet him a bit, he will start eating. Works every time. May only be a couple of bites and walk away, or the start of a meal.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:58 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
My cat, Carly, gets 1/4 of a small can of wet food for breakfast every day, and I have dry food available at all times. I used to put her wet-food breakfast down and go off to take a shower and get ready for the day. But Carly always wants to be where I am, so I found she was leaving the wet food uneaten so she could follow me around.

So now when I put the wet food down, I sit next to her while she eats it. From time to time she'll glance over at me, as if to make sure I'm still there. She doesn't need to be petted, just wants my company.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:34 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
My 19 year old female, Squeak, has been ill recently with a hematoma on her left ear (had 2 surgeries) and has had a difficult recovery. She also suffers from FCD and literally forgets that she's eating her breakfast in the kitchen sometimes. So now I always keep a bowl of wet food on "her" quilt on the sofa where she pretty much lives on her kitty heating pad. She'll eat intermittently throughout the day, but if I feel she's not eating enough, I'll stroke her back and she'll start chowing down immediately. It has helped a great deal in bringing her weight up from 4.8 to almost 6 lbs. over the last 6 weeks.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:00 PM

446 posts, read 709,489 times
My 18 pound Maine Coon cat will stand in front of his food dish and wait till I put my hand on him before he starts eating.

He's a wonderful cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats