Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 08:28 AM

64 posts, read 155,013 times

Advertisements

We've had our tabby for close to 18 years now and up until last month, he was a content little old man. He's had some joint issues for the last few years, but we've changed the type of food he eats & have been giving him organic kitty joint supplements and that's seemed to work.

However, he recently started to lose his hair. In huge clumps. He wouldn't even scratch or bathe himself, just sitting on the couch would cause clumps to fall out. It's seemed to have tampered off, but his rapid hair loss is evident.
Anywhoo, just last night, while brushing him, I felt a large, lump that seemed to be attached to his spine and hard. Further reading online tells me that when a lump is hard and attached, it's cause for concern.... anyone out there with advice or answers as to what it may be?
We are not fans of taking him to the vet. It's always been a traumatic experience for him, and now with his age we'd feel it'd be detrimental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:29 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Is his fur dry and brittle? Our boy has CRF (chronic renal failure) and his fur is very dry. Any lump should be checked out. I'd take him to the vet for a general checkup. It could be just a bone spur or calcium deposit, or it might be something of more concern. Vet visits are traumatic at the time, but they get over it. I think we are traumatized for longer than they are!

We have a 17 yr old recently diagnosed with GI lymphoma, she's on chemo and doing quite well. Our plan is to keep her around as long as she wants to be here.

At his age, I would make sure that he is happy, comfortable, and loved.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:21 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
The cat needs to go to a vet. Hair loss like that isn't a good sign. All lumps need to be checked out.

Keep us posted.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,108 times
I understand how you feel about taking him to the vet. You could look for a mobile vet to come to your house. It may or may not be more expensive but if it keeps the cat less stressed than it's worth it. Good luck to you both!

Old 10-21-2010, 10:37 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
I had a wonderful dog that loved to chase and catch balls. One day she started yelping when she would catch the ball and very shortly after that stopping trying to catch it. Concerned for her, I took her to the vet and it was cancer growing into her skull. The attached lump could hardly be noticed just looking at her as it was growning inward. I hope this is not the situation with your kitty but as you know, animals hide their pain. I do agree with you about vets, but at his age I would put principles aside and have it checked out as he might be in pain. Hugs to both of you.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:50 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,054,865 times
I know it's stressful for my kitty's to go too, but you should really get him checked. If it's something that is fixable, at least you'll know what you can do to help him. Good luck, and let us know how he does!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:18 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
Hair loss like that can indicate hyperthyroid disease. Easily treatable with medication, though frequent blood work is necessary. There are of course many other things it could be, too.

With a cat who suffers detrimental stress at the vet, the quality of life for treatment of any chronic illness has to be considered. But you want to at least know what you are dealing with before making a decision like that, don't you? I would anyway.

However there is "doesn't like the vet" and there is "severely affected such as miserable for days afterward" and much in between. Most cats don't like the vet, but taking them to the vet is part of being a responsible pet owner.

The suggestion of a home visiting vet is a great idea, as long as they can do things like take blood, because blood work is what this cat needs.

Please keep us posted on your beloved boy.

Last edited by catsmom21; 10-21-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-21-2010, 01:37 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Look at it this way: Kids generally don't like to go to the doctor either. I'm not too crazy about it myself.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
No one likes to go to the doctor be it cat or human but you must take him. I had two kitties who lived to be age 18, neither liked going and I felt bad taking them (as I do my present 11 year old kitty) but it must be done. Especially a Senior cat.

Take heart though, although they may act like they think they are going to their doom, once they are back home in familiar surroundings all will be forgiven. I think cats prefer to forget unpleasant experiences.

Just apologize profusely and tell your furry friend you love him dearly after you get home. And don't forget the treats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats