Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:39 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Maybe something is going around. I have two foster kittens that have been on Flagyl for 6 1/2 days. The first two days on the med they had watery, explosive diarrhea, poor appetites and vomiting. Now they only have loose stools. Both had good appetites and no vomiting after day 2. The vet gave me 10 days worth so I'm hoping it stops soon. We feed Wellness, wet and dry.

I will let you know what happens with the kitties if you want so you know what to expect. LG and Lucy are a few days ahead of Fritz in the intestinal bug disease progression.
I'm just concerned because he barely has an appetite today and he's so lethargic, up until today he's always acted fine and still played. He hasn't been playing today, just sleeping. This is his third day on the flagyl and his diarrhea seems more of a jelly consistency instead of watery, but it's still diarrhea. I'm really worried about him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Is he drinking? Can you roust him from his sleep? He may have low blood sugar, from lack of eating, plus dehydration which can be dangerous for a young animal. I would be worried, too.

Did I remember correctly that you said he was a recently adopted rescue kitten? Could you call the rescue group tonight and ask if they any thoughts about what is going on with Fritz? Maybe they know if any of the other cats Fritz was with at shelter or foster home had any similar symptoms or resolutions so you know what you are dealing with?

Thinking of you and your little boy.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:04 PM

OK now that I'm over-the-top worried, he just got up and ate some food ... it's a little reassuring but I'm still going to take him to the vet tomorrow. Maybe he needs an antibiotic and I'm sure he needs fluids. Today is the first day he's acting like he's sick, but I can definitely rouse him from sleep, he still reacts to me and everything.

That's a good idea; I think I will email the rescue and ask if his brothers and sisters are sick. If they haven't been adopted yet.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,233,542 times
*drums fingers on desk while waiting for an update*

Hoping Fritz is feeling better today.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Me too! I'm hoping for good news.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:17 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
Hope your kitten is ok. My vet always suggested heating up the wet food, so it smells more appetizing to the cats. I nuke it for just a few seconds (make sure it isn't too hot). It sure does stink up the house, but it seems to work when my cats are feeling under the weather.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:47 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
*drums fingers on desk while waiting for an update*

Hoping Fritz is feeling better today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Me too! I'm hoping for good news.

me three!!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
Hopin' for the best here!

Old 10-25-2010, 07:56 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
How is Fritz?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 AM

Sorry for not posting yesterday, the time got away from me. So the vet took x-rays to make sure he didn't have fluid in his intestines, it was just gas so that was a relief. She wanted me to try panacur since the flagyl didn't seem to be working. The panacur is for all of the parasites flagyl doesn't cover. She explained that it's trial and error with kittens and diarrhea so even though his fecal was negative for parasites, she still wants to give the panacur. I understand but I just feel like it's not parasites, I mean 3 fecals can't be wrong! She gave me some probiotic powder to add to his food. His appetite is a lot better, but his diarrhea is actually worse and by worse I mean explosive...poop everywhere, lucky me I'm not sure if it's worse because he's eating more...? Probiotics can't make things worse can they? It really worries me that they still don't know why he's having the diarrhea.

In other news my other cat, Cooper is throwing up For 2 days (this being the third) he hasn't had much of an appetite and he always normally scarfs down his wet food. And he vomited once yesterday and twice last night and I'm beginning to think the vomit from saturday was actually him too and not Fritz. I feel like whatever this is it's invading my house! Last night it was just bile that he had thrown up and before that it was food. I'm going to call the vet about Cooper today. There was no stool from Cooper in the litter box yesterday but maybe it's because he's not eating.... I finally managed to get Cooper to eat one of those fancy feast appetizers last night and put some of the probiotic powder in his food but then there was all that vomit last night. What do I do? What do you guys think is going on? My poor babies.

Last edited by J-CityRelo; 10-26-2010 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats