U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 11:45 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,504,903 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a cat tree for my tonkinese, and siamese-mix kitten - but most are over $200. They are extremely active (playful), and they love climbing (both indoor cats).

I'm looking online, and seeing that the less expensive ones are faux fleece-covered. Like this one.

The cats have a small two-story hideway right now, that is carpet-covered, and they love it. Does anyone know about the fleece trees, and how they compare to the carpeted ones, as far as quality goes?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:52 PM

14,773 posts, read 29,593,031 times
If you go to Petsmart or Petco, you can get one for less. Better yet, look on Craigslist, people get rid of them on there, and they sell them for quite a bit less than the stores.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you go to Petsmart or Petco, you can get one for less. Better yet, look on Craigslist, people get rid of them on there, and they sell them for quite a bit less than the stores.
Thanks! That was fast.

I was just using that one at Petco to show an example of the fleece tree. I honestly had never heard of such a thing!

I'm planning to look at craig's list. I was just wondering if there was an advantage/disadvantage in a faux fleece one.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:00 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,593,209 times
i cant imagine fleece lasting very long with cats claws...
armakat are however a very good brand, check out their direct website, they have better prices direct from dealer...

ive actually found the posts at petco and petsmart to be very expensive.

i would try craigslist though.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 AM

8,231 posts, read 13,120,132 times
I had the same concerns earlier this year when shopping for a cat tower. I checked the local pet stores and while I liked the idea of carpeted covered ones I couldn't find a particular 'model' I liked well enough for the price and they seemed to weigh a ton.
I checked craigslist. I did find a guy who made some local but he was not doing it anymore. Didn't find a used one and honestly with the bedbug thing happening out there, potential diseases etc. I wasn't sure I liked the idea of used anyway.

I ended up buying one of the brand you linked and I'm pretty happy. Its a slightly differently model but very similar (I did not want one with that hanging bag bed or whatever) I got the off white nubbly covering vs. the other stuff which I think is faux fur vs. the orange looking fleece (like your picture).
It comes in a flat box with decent instructions and one of those hex screwdriver things. Only takes an hour? to put together.
My two cats really like it but tend to fight over the top perch. They started using the couch as a scratching post less because climbing up the sisal rope posts worked their claws even if they prefer the couch for scratching. The do use the sisal specifically for scratching too sometimes just once in a while they use the couch as well.
I got a pretty tall one similar to your choice. You do have to put it next to a wall. Depending on how tall and how rambunctious the cats maybe even a corner. Mine is next to the wall btw a coffee table and dog kennel so if it were going to tip back and forth, well it can't.

I say go for it. I'm happy with mine. If the fleece ever does come off I think it would be pretty easy to get more at a fabric store and glue it on. Or replace with carpeting.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,131,300 times
I had a friend help me build mine and it has lasted mine for many years. I have had to redo it, the carpet and sisal rope. They shred that sisal rope! The carpet and fabric just gets old and needs replacing from time to time..

Whatever you get, just make sure it has plenty of sisal rope on it... They LOVE that sisal rope and need hardly any encouragement at all to scratch on that. I take my sissors every now and they to clean up the sisal because it will get so worn looking and look so frayed.

The one I built cost me right at $100 and I already had the carpet. It is so solid and can be taken apart to recover and redo and for how much it gets used, it has been a really great investment.

WHERE you put it is the most important part of having one. I have both of mine at windows and there is always one on both of them, the one we built sometimes has 3 on it.

This is one we built for a friend.. It is made from one of those big spools that electrical wire comes on and they give these things away.. All wood.. We got a big one for the base, and a smaller one for the "seat".. All we had to buy was th 4X4, everything else we already had.

This is the one at my kitchen window that we built. This thing will outlast me and the cats! The posts are now ALL sisal rope, they shredded that carpet to bits in no time..

This was another great idea... A Baby changing table I got at Goodwill for $25 and they LOVE it... I call it a kitty bunk bed. Best investment I ever made..

I got this at Lowes on sale for $29.99 and I call this a kitty corner. Just put it together, put their beds in it and they needed no encouragement.. It is something to put in your closet to help orginize it but I saw better use for it..

Old 10-30-2010, 08:59 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,593,209 times
those are aweome ideas! i love the kitty corner and the bunk bed

Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 PM

Thanks for all the great advice, guys! And wow, those are some great pics! I love the "bunk bed" piece, as well! I'm looking for something similar to the one you have in your kitchen, but with a "condo" attached, but I don't want anything that's going to branch out too far. Tall is fine, but wide... I want room for ME to move around, too!

The problem with a lot of the premade ones I'm seeing are the platforms are too small for lounging. Great for sitting, or jumping around, but not for stretching out. Neither of my cats are big (my 4 y/o tonkinese is 8 pounds, and my kitten is just under 5 months old, so no telling with him), but still, they need a little more room when they get rambunctious. Plus, they play fight a lot and my tonkinese will end up in a snit under my bed, because the youngster is ALWAYS going. They need separate condos. Not a must, because I already have one stand alone, but would be nice to find a roomy one in a cat tree. And a corner unit would be best.

And they love their sisal posts. I have one in my room, and a few downstairs, but for some reason, the tonkinese likes to use the corner of my bed as a scratching post, even though the sisal post is 2 feet away.

I checked Craigslist and didn't see anything last night (point taken about bed bugs!), but I saw a couple of units online for under $100, with free shipping. Armakat and one other brand that seemed to get good reviews. Can't remember the name.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,131,300 times
Glad you all like my ideas. I share what I have done with everybody in the hopes that someone will have better ideas or smarter ones and share with ME!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:59 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,785,041 times
I got cat-tree at that discount website Overstocks-dot-com (don't want to make a hyperlink to a different site) for a pretty decent price, under $100 if memory serves, and they had some kind of special deal on the shipping costs at the time, so I think I only paid $3 for shipping. I have a small house and very little spare space, so I looked for one that had a small footprint and wasn't too awfully tall, and found one that serves the purpose quite well. It has about an 18" square base and is around four feet tall, maybe a bit higher, with three levels.

I got the kind with the sisal rope covered legs and a faux-sheepskin type of plush covering on the platforms and cubbies, and at least so far, it has held up well. My fur kid likes sisal for his claws, so has pretty much left the plush alone. He loves napping on the top level (he's doing so right now, in fact) and finds that the second level offers him the perfect vantage point to watch out the living room window.

My elder kid has two cats and a much larger living room, so she got a gigantic thing with a 3'x3' base that stands over six feet tall. And even that only set her back about $145, also from the same place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats