Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,442 times

Advertisements

Call me crazy, but each Halloween I keep my cat indoors. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
This makes me sad. No, you're not crazy; their safety is a legitimate concern, especially around this time of year. I don't have a cat, but I would definitely never let it out on or near Halloween. Never, never, never....

Old 10-31-2010, 01:06 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
I keep my cat in all the time anyway, but I think Halloween is about the worst time to have one out, especially if it's black.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:01 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
There are 3 black kitties that live across the street from my BF, and I plan to be "on the lookout" to make sure no one messes with them...they're outdoors most of the time, very sweet cats, and if anyone messes with them...let's just say the usually peaceful demeanor I try to maintain will be replaced by the protective Lioness in me, and my wrath will NOT be pleasant for any cat-haters!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:07 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
There are 3 black kitties that live across the street from my BF, and I plan to be "on the lookout" to make sure no one messes with them...they're outdoors most of the time, very sweet cats, and if anyone messes with them...let's just say the usually peaceful demeanor I try to maintain will be replaced by the protective Lioness in me, and my wrath will NOT be pleasant for any cat-haters!
If they must stay outside, make sure they are well fed at the back of the house. A small can of wet food every couple of hours and a pile of dry food in the grass should keep them out of sight.

Better plan would be to bring them inside for a Catfest.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,469,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
...let's just say the usually peaceful demeanor I try to maintain will be replaced by the protective Lioness in me, and my wrath will NOT be pleasant for any cat-haters!
Danged right!

Old 10-31-2010, 04:50 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,583,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
If they must stay outside, make sure they are well fed at the back of the house. A small can of wet food every couple of hours and a pile of dry food in the grass should keep them out of sight.

Better plan would be to bring them inside for a Catfest.
That's a good idea! The owners of these cats are nice people, maybe I'll just knock on their door and suggest the wet food in the yard thing...as for the "catfest" idea, I would LOVE it, but my BF's cat would probably try to kill them...she's insanely jealous of other cats...and BTW, she's a GORGEOUS all black cat too, with really piercing light green eyes, and her birthday is actually today, a true Halloween kitty!
Attached Thumbnails
Almost Halloween - keep your cat in-freds-kitty-anime.jpg  

Last edited by luvmycat; 10-31-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 10-31-2010, 07:36 PM

741 posts, read 1,379,360 times
I realize this is a general area of disagreement. Not specific to Halloween but indoor/outdoor in general. My cats are indoor only. I feel it is my responsibility to keep them, and birds, safe.

Having said that, I have make exceptions. One was a gentleman tabby abandoned at least twice. Once he decided to trust me he came indoors, but just had to have access to the outdoors. He was at least 15 so I let him have that option, always going in and out through the pantry/gagage doors so as not to tempt the other cats. But he could not go out at will, and I feel okay about restricting his forays to a couple of brief times a day. He was too old to harm birds, and the sound of a can opening would always bring him back.

I agree with the statements "no more homeless pets" but understand that my idea of homeless may not be universal. I understand too that there are many thriving cats, especially in Portugal and Holland. I do wonder though if there are different "standards" of treatment for cats in those and other countries.

Just my musings on Halloween, to which I would add 4th of July and New Year's Eve as times to be especially careful.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
1 must wonder why it would take a holiday to be concerned for your pets safety?
How many cats are run over by cars every year?
How many are poisoned?
How many are killed by dog when the cat enters a neighbors yard? I had a Lab that had a talent for killing cats when they came in my yard. Do I blame the dog? Myself? Or the cat owner that allowed their cat to roam at will?
My point is simple. If you are a responsible pet owner you do what you can to protect your pet, control your pet and to minimize the impact your decision to own a pet has on your neighbors. It shouldn't require a holiday.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
1 must wonder why it would take a holiday to be concerned for your pets safety?
How many cats are run over by cars every year?
How many are poisoned?
How many are killed by dog when the cat enters a neighbors yard? I had a Lab that had a talent for killing cats when they came in my yard. Do I blame the dog? Myself? Or the cat owner that allowed their cat to roam at will?
My point is simple. If you are a responsible pet owner you do what you can to protect your pet, control your pet and to minimize the impact your decision to own a pet has on your neighbors. It shouldn't require a holiday.
Maybe you can read those two statements back to yourself. Yes, it's your property, but I guess when it comes to your dog, you don't need to worry about your impact on the neighbors??

I had one cat get out last night (the friendly one). I was able to get him after he decided to have fun and run all over the yard. Normally that's his brother's job. I worry about this cat in particular because he is too friendly and too stupid to stay away from strangers. Of course, I worry about all my cats.

When I ran out of candy last night, I tried to give away my cats to the last few kids that stopped by. They wouldn't take them. They said they preferred the candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats