U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 05:23 PM

4,940 posts, read 10,150,869 times

Advertisements

I went to the Jetblue website and read this:
"A carrier that does not exceed 17”L x 12.5”W x 8”H. Your pet must
be able to stand up and move around in the carrier with ease"

So after searching around I took a took a look at the one Jetblue was selling.
Problem is.... the one they sell is waaaay undersized---even byJetblue standards:
16" L x 10" W x 8.5 h
Need a Cat -Carrier thats big enough but okay with Jet Blue-bag.jpg
ARGHHHHHH!
I called them and got nowhere---all they said was the info that was on the website.
Duh----thats why I called---clearly I read the info on the site.

What do people do?
I need 2 bags---one cat is small and one is fairly large.
My flight will be in Feb from NYC to Las Vegas.
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllp.
PLEASE!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:34 AM

6,307 posts, read 8,335,301 times
Try looking at the Sherpa bags.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM

9,918 posts, read 22,906,896 times
A cat doesn't really need a huge space, but having enough is good. Generally for airlines these days a soft carrier that's not too big should work fine. It needs to be able to go under the seat in front of you for at least takeoff and landing. (When booking don't select a bulkhead seat at very front where there's a wall in front of you instead.) So to me there's a little bit of flexibility there, even the specs of the JetBlue carrier are taller than it's supposed to be. I believe 8" is meant to be the seat clearance for a rigid object. So if the carrier turns out to be more like 10" tall but you can stuff it into the 8" space for a short time, I think they'll be fine. And if there's room, during your flight you may be able to take the carrier out from under the seat. (If your flight is packed full, though, you may not be able to do this, or at least not for very long or very easily.)

So for example I think you can do well with a medium Sherpa, which is 17x11x10.5. The large size would probably be an issue because the 19" length would make it stick out from the seat too much. Sherpa also makes a cat tote which is 16x9x11. Actually I think the Sherpa Ultimate might be a nicer pick; the Deluxe original is very open on the sides, and the Ultimate gives a way to close that in a bit more. The cat will probably be happier being less exposed, more hidden as it were.

How are you going to take 2 cats? Do you have two people? If not, you will need to buy an extra seat AND pay the pet fee for both. Ask about how to do that if you haven't already.

Good luck.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM

4,919 posts, read 21,623,041 times
The reason for the confusing info is the bags they sell is designed for the two main aircraft they fly. If under seat is smaller on one, thats the bag size they sell. If they sold the larger bag and you were on the smaller plane, you would have a fit because they sold you a bag that wont fit on that aircarft.

Contact the carrier and find out what is the under seat dimensions for the aircraft that normally flys that route. If they don't have the dimensions, get the aircraft type and look at Airbus or Embrace websites for the dimension specifications.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM

9,918 posts, read 22,906,896 times
NYC to Vegas, that's going to be on the A320. But Airbus info won't be of good use; they can't account for the myriad of possible interior configurations sold to dozens, perhaps hundreds, of airlines.

A quick search gave me this site with a list; it's about dogs, apparently, but the info is of course equally useful:

Dog Jaunt : Airplane under-seat measurements : Traveling with a small dog

It also tells you which seats have a wider underseat area in front, etc. Very cool. Here's the info for JetBlue A320:

Quote:
An A320 is a good-sized plane, comparable in size to a Boeing 737 and holding about 150 passengers. JetBlue’s A320s have three seats on each side of the aisle. There is a bulkhead in front of the first row of seats, so you can’t sit there or in the exit rows. There is only one class of seats, so the following measurements apply to all of the rows.

Your best choices are the aisle seat or the window seat. The middle seat has boxes for electronics on the top and on one side, leaving an available space of only 8″ tall and 16.5″ wide. By contrast, the aisle seat space measures about 9″ tall and 19″ wide, and the window seat space measures about 9″ tall and 17″ wide. All three underseat spaces are about 17″ deep (that is, measured from front to back).
Get an aisle seat, clearly has the most storage room. The site has a lot of other good info, and the author clearly has done a bit of research and cross-checking. Worth some time looking from what I can see. There are recommendations for carriers, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats