Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the kind comments. Shelby, the cat in the photo has been doing much better. Her blood work is checked every few months. The vet prescribed shots that I have been giving her almost every week, don't have the name with me, but it is supposed to help with joints and arthritis. This seems to be helping as she moves around easier, is happier, has a better appetite and doesn't complain as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:25 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Thank you for all the kind comments. Shelby, the cat in the photo has been doing much better. Her blood work is checked every few months. The vet prescribed shots that I have been giving her almost every week, don't have the name with me, but it is supposed to help with joints and arthritis. This seems to be helping as she moves around easier, is happier, has a better appetite and doesn't complain as much.
Are you doing Adequan injections? I've read really good things about it. Thanks for the update on Shelby!

Old 02-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Are you doing Adequan injections? I've read really good things about it. Thanks for the update on Shelby!
Yes, I just checked the bottle and that is what it is. It does seem to have helped. It is for treating arthritis and joint problems, originally used on horses but now also dogs and cats.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
Default Cat wailing in the middle of the night

I have a 20 year old cat who is on medication for a hyperthyroid. Before we had it at the right level he was screaming in the middle of the night. It was similar to what someone else posted in that we would pet him & he would settle down and then as soon as we went back to bed he would start up again. Apparently it is something with the thyroid that makes them feel like they are being strangled or there is constriction of their wind pipes (from what I heard from a neighbor). Anyways, his medication is now bang on & we haven't been having these problems lately. The only problem we have is when he decides he won't eat. So, we try everything: olive oil - which has kept him alive for several years - just about 1 tablespoon every day. It is an anti-inflammatory. Chicken stock baby food, fish filet cooked in olive oil, soft cat food - try anything, tuna & tuna water - when he won't eat anything else it seems to get better if he drinks tuna water, yoghurt, clam juice (which they need if they are not getting cat food as it supplies them with taurine), pickled olive juice, campbell's mushroom soup - with the mushroom bits picked out & made with water, the tomato sauce from Chef Boyardee - just make sure you don't give them any onions as they will make your cat very sick.
Hope that helps. My cat is 20 & I have been thinking that every day was a blessing for the past 5 years. When he was a kitten he had a serious break in his leg that required a pin & wire to hold it together. When he was 6 they had to remove the pin. To anyone who thinks it is a waste of $ to fix up your cat when it has a broken leg - think again!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama7575 View Post
I have a 20 year old cat who is on medication for a hyperthyroid. Before we had it at the right level he was screaming in the middle of the night. It was similar to what someone else posted in that we would pet him & he would settle down and then as soon as we went back to bed he would start up again. Apparently it is something with the thyroid that makes them feel like they are being strangled or there is constriction of their wind pipes (from what I heard from a neighbor). Anyways, his medication is now bang on & we haven't been having these problems lately. The only problem we have is when he decides he won't eat. So, we try everything: olive oil - which has kept him alive for several years - just about 1 tablespoon every day. It is an anti-inflammatory. Chicken stock baby food, fish filet cooked in olive oil, soft cat food - try anything, tuna & tuna water - when he won't eat anything else it seems to get better if he drinks tuna water, yoghurt, clam juice (which they need if they are not getting cat food as it supplies them with taurine), pickled olive juice, campbell's mushroom soup - with the mushroom bits picked out & made with water, the tomato sauce from Chef Boyardee - just make sure you don't give them any onions as they will make your cat very sick.
Hope that helps. My cat is 20 & I have been thinking that every day was a blessing for the past 5 years. When he was a kitten he had a serious break in his leg that required a pin & wire to hold it together. When he was 6 they had to remove the pin. To anyone who thinks it is a waste of $ to fix up your cat when it has a broken leg - think again!
I bet your cat thinks you're a blessing to him too!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama7575 View Post
How wonderful that you spend so much time and effort on your dear one. I agree with you that when a cat gets to a certain age......it's more important that he eat, not what he eats.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
How wonderful that you spend so much time and effort on your dear one. I agree with you that when a cat gets to a certain age......it's more important that he eat, not what he eats.

Welcome to the forum!
We have reached the same conclusion with Shelby, trying to keep her weight up. My wife keeps saying "she won't eat that" but I'm finding she is wrong at least 50% of the time.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:25 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:

Welcome to the forum!
I agree. At a certain age you can't help but just feed them whatever delicacy that whets their appetites, and maybe keeps the purring in your life for a few weeks longer.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,724 times
I have a 20 year old female cat and she went deaf a year ago. She was making loud obnoxious sounds which at first I thought was because she couldn't hear me and was confused. I did take her to the vet several times and she had crystals in her urine. For the past 2 years she has been drinking water like crazy. Recently she has been vomiting a dark brown smelly liquid. She doesn't want her dry food and when I google searched what to feed her it said water down her wet food but she just wants the juices. She will eat watered down tuna juices and milk. I noticed she has lost weight even though she has always been petite he whole life. Now, at this point I feel like I'm prolonging her departure.... I love seeing her everyday and I don't believe she's in any pain. She follows me around the house from room to room and I just don't have it in me to take her back to the vet and let her go. ((

Old 11-23-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee3018 View Post
I have a 20 year old female cat and she went deaf a year ago. She was making loud obnoxious sounds which at first I thought was because she couldn't hear me and was confused. I did take her to the vet several times and she had crystals in her urine. For the past 2 years she has been drinking water like crazy. Recently she has been vomiting a dark brown smelly liquid. She doesn't want her dry food and when I google searched what to feed her it said water down her wet food but she just wants the juices. She will eat watered down tuna juices and milk. I noticed she has lost weight even though she has always been petite he whole life. Now, at this point I feel like I'm prolonging her departure.... I love seeing her everyday and I don't believe she's in any pain. She follows me around the house from room to room and I just don't have it in me to take her back to the vet and let her go. ((
I am very sorry your cat is so ill. But this isn't about you. It's about her quality of life. Had you taken her to the vet earlier, she could have received treatment for what sounds like classic kidney disease symptoms which may have allowed her to feel better for a longer time.

As it is, she is most likely suffering now. Please do the right thing by her, and take her to the vet. There may be palliative treatment that will keep her comfortable for a bit longer. If she is too far gone for any kind of treatment, and the only thing left for her is to be euthanized, it is the kindest thing, your final loving gift to her, to not force her to drag out what has become a miserable existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats