Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Thought maybe you cat folks might want to know about this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/green...l#post16595650
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM

216 posts, read 829,543 times

Oh my God....I can't respond to that post on the SC forum, I'm just too speachless...
But thanks for posting it here.
I'm sure there's a lot of kind humans here with a strong nervous system who know how to respond.
I'm simply tempted to grab my neighbors rifle and drive down to SC and shoot two "humans", or where-ever the other one moved.
And I also used to be a cat ignorer, until they forced themselves into my life and now I can't forgive myself for some mistakes I made in the beginning and my two felines and all town cats and barn cats and especially the ferals are my best friends, can't imagine life without them.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulrikeV View Post

Oh my God....I can't respond to that post on the SC forum, I'm just too speachless...
But thanks for posting it here.
I'm sure there's a lot of kind humans here with a strong nervous system who know how to respond.
I'm simply tempted to grab my neighbors rifle and drive down to SC and shoot two "humans", or where-ever the other one moved.
And I also used to be a cat ignorer, until they forced themselves into my life and now I can't forgive myself for some mistakes I made in the beginning and my two felines and all town cats and barn cats and especially the ferals are my best friends, can't imagine life without them.
Your comment is more disturbing than anything in the original post in the SC forum. The person offering the cat has tried to look after an animal that their friend abandoned. They are honest that they can't take care of it. Nowhere do they threaten to kill or hurt the animal. The fact of life is that some animals will end up in shelters and some will be put down.

I rescued two male cats from the shelter who I believe were on "death row". However, there were a whole room full of cats who probably were put to sleep. Should I be shot because I didn't save all of them?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:20 PM

The lady who is left with the abandoned cat says in her post that she would rather poke her eye out than care for an animal, especially a cat. And she is threatening to kill the cat ("Save this cat from death") if no-one intervenes.
Yes, you're right, she is honest.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:24 PM

Facts of life are birds and bees. Animals being left at "shelters" that will gas them (in SC) are wrong politics decided by humans.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:40 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
She is making the point that though she does not want to keep the cat herself, she is willing to keep it for a few days before taking it to the shelter in case somebody would like to take it on themselves. I don't have an issue with the fact that she isn't an animal person, fact is she is willing to do something outside of her comfort zone and is reaching out for assistance. Don't criminilize her for it.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:44 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
She is making the point that though she does not want to keep the cat herself, she is willing to keep it for a few days before taking it to the shelter in case somebody would like to take it on themselves. I don't have an issue with the fact that she isn't an animal person, fact is she is willing to do something outside of her comfort zone and is reaching out for assistance. Don't criminilize her for it.
Taking it to the shelter is more than most people will get off their a** and do even for something that is theirs much less something that is not.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:42 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times
I worked for a shelter when I was younger, and it is a misconception that animals will all be put down. There were ones put down that were deemed unadoptable, and sometimes due to overcrowding, but there was not an arbitrary timeline where we were counting down the hours before putting an animal down. We had many animals there for months before they were finally adopted. A cat like the one that is described, seems like would be a perfect fit for an older person or someone who doesn't have the time or patience for a baby kitten. If it is healthy, well-behaved, and declawed, then that is what a lot of people are looking for. I don't like the idea of declawig a cat, but some people are really looking for one that is. My mother for instance has a condition where she cannot fight infection in one of her arms, so when she adopted a cat she wanted an older one that was declawed, older for laid back personality, and declawed so as to avoid the risk of her beig scratched in her arm and then having to go to the hospital due to infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats