Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 04:58 PM

12 posts, read 17,817 times

Advertisements

Let me start by asking you a question.If you had a two year old and that two year old got finger paint on the wall would you cut its fingers off?No,you wouldn't.You would wash its hands,clean the wall,and then put the paint up.You didn't have to declaw your cat.They make rubber covers for cat claws(I have an aunt that uses them for her cats).

This behavior will abate as the wound heals.But your cat will live a life full of pain and fear because you paid someone to cut off its toes.It will never be able to walk without pain again.It will never be able to defend itself against threats,such as other cats and dogs, again.

The entirtey of the issue is that your cat is not only in pain but is scared as well.It can't defend itself.It knows this,and it knows your other cat poses a very real risk to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 05:12 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
This is an old thread and doesn't look like the OP ever returned to it. But anyway, glad you're against declawing... and welcome to the forum.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:47 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
So sad when people do this, it is a horrific practice. Soft claws can prevent furniture damage and doesn't require amputation, which is what declawing is.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazine View Post
So sad when people do this, it is a horrific practice. Soft claws can prevent furniture damage and doesn't require amputation, which is what declawing is.
But applying soft claws, or training the cat would require some effort/patience on the part of the human involved. It's much more convenient to have the vet handle the problem for you. I'm sure many people who have this done aren't fully aware of what it involves & the long term consequences for the cat, and I blame the vets for this. They perpetuate the myth that declawing really does no harm, and the 'cat will be fine'. The procedure has been banned in some other countries, but sadly not here in the U.S. Hopefully someday it will be.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:23 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,236 times
Well, like having children, cats need to be taught what correct behavior is, and yes, it takes time and patience. I have never met a veterinarian who was for having cats declawed. It is a barbaric practice. Even our local humane society has a clause in its adoption agreement stating that the adopter will not have the cat declawed. More education of the general public is needed.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
Yes, and I admit as a teenager we had my cat declawed. We mistakenly thought they just removed the nail (this was before internet access was so available) I had no idea until our poor kitty came home what it entailed. I feel sick to my stomach to this day and horrified at what we had done to him and will never do it to another cat. He has since passed away but now we have three cats and use soft paws on each of them.

So you are right, most people still don't know and some vets don't care. After working with our local animal shelter I learned that a number of vets in our area will not do this surgery - so at least awareness is improving in some places.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Well, like having children, cats need to be taught what correct behavior is, and yes, it takes time and patience. I have never met a veterinarian who was for having cats declawed. It is a barbaric practice. Even our local humane society has a clause in its adoption agreement stating that the adopter will not have the cat declawed. More education of the general public is needed.
That may be. But the problem is too many vets are still willing to do it, even if they don't agree with it. My vet is one of those. It would be helpful if vets would explain this procedure, in detail, to the cats' owner before doing it, and also inform them about possible long-term consequences down the road. I think many cat parents would change their mind once they understood what was going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats