Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 04:31 PM

607 posts, read 2,367,398 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks...kicking around the idea of getting an indoor cat again. It's been several years since we have had one roaming the indoors. We have three younger kids and was wondering how the MCC's would hold up in that type of household. Are these sturdy cats? Are they social cats? Will kids be a problem for them? How much do they shed? Do they seem to be problems causing allergies to people? Do they scratch up furniture more so than the average cat? Declaw them? Pros and cons of males vs. females.

All in all I heard some good things about them. If not this breed can you tell me you favorite breed as an indoor cat. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 05:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Yes, they are good cats, but so are ragdolls. And, any cat you get at the shelter can be a great pet as well. You never know, how a cat will turn out...all of our cats have been indoor cats only. Maine Coons can be very big, and some need a larger cat box, my Mom uses a large Rubbermaid, "under the bed box", because her cat was too big for a regular cat box.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:24 PM

5,651 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I have two and they are great cats. But they do shed quite a bit and friends with allergies can't even come over. Grooming them can take time, and mine don't even like it. They have the reputation of being "one person cats," particularly attaching themselves to one person more than others. I live by myself so I can't say how true that is. They are however, very affectionate towards me and do show some of the "dog-like" behavior they are sometimes known to have....following me around the house, etc. Mine are quite shy towards strangers but like any breed there is a fair amount of variation in personality.

As a previous poster mentioned, as large cats certain accommodations need to be made. I have a jumbo cat box that I got up in Massachusetts where they are more common. I also have jumbo cat furniture made by a small company in NH because the cat furniture you get at places like PetSmart is just too small.

In my experience Maine Coons don't scratch more than other cats but as such big cats you really need either jumbo cat furniture or jumbo scratching posts to ensure they will actually scratch in appropriate places. Those big bodies can reach up pretty far for a good scratch. I am one of those people who is firmly against declawing so I would urge you not to declaw whatever breed you get.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:48 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I think the best thing to do is go to a shelter and see which cats you "click" with...ask plenty of questions and bring the kids so you'll have a better idea about which cats are comfortable around kids. Many cats in shelters are already declawed, which might be another good option, this way you wouldn't have to put another cat through it, and you wouldn't have to risk finding out whether or not the cat would scratch the kids. If you went to a kill shelter or most animal control facilities, you'd be saving a cat from certain death, which is amazing...the animal control facility here only gives them 3 days before they're euthanized.

I think in this situation an adult cat would be the best choice...kittens will pretty much always use their claws in painful/destructive ways, and since there are young kids are involved, a kitten could be a bad idea, regardless of the breed. In any case, please make sure you teach the kids to treat the cat gently and with kindness, both for their own safety as well as the cat's...good luck!

Old 11-27-2010, 08:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Most maine coon cats are very smart;very clam cats that make great pets because of it.We have oje and she is the least trouble cat we ever had/ Mnay times you don't even know she is here but she is freindly;patients kind of likde a real lady.I wouod warn you ioof one thing with nay cat;it seems that cat are born knowing that young kids can be a danger because they can be too rough at times.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:14 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
My cat is a maine coon mix who I adopted as a feral kitten. He is an amazing cat, he did bond to me and isn't as close with my SO. They are one-person cats. Cooper is very affectionate and talkative and playful with other animals. He sheds A LOT. I wouldn't think maine coons would be good for someone with allergies.

I think in a household with 3 young children you will have to be very careful to monitor all interaction with kitty and the kids. Maine coons are big cats and they are sturdy but no animal deserves to have 3 kids pulling its tail and it's fur. Be prepared to supervise and teach the kids how to properly handle the cat. If you are worried about scratched furniture you are better off adopting an adult cat who is already declawed from your local shelter or not getting a cat at all. Cats scratch naturally and declawing is not an option. IMO an adult cat from a shelter would be better for kids than a kitten.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
My Mom got her Maine Coon from the shelter. And her Ragdoll Siamese.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:22 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
There is no such thing as a bad cat. I would go to a shelter (as others suggested) and pick out ANY cat that you get a "feeling" for. If scratching up furniture or anything is the least bit worry for you... save a cat that is already declawed.

We have a Maine Coon mix female named Lilly. She is a big girl, but isn't the largest in the bunch. We have 7 cats currently. (Two are guests.) Lilly is a people person. My hubby is her favorite person... although she does show me some love too. She is a talker and a MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR cuddler. She is always "stuck" to one of us.

I have allergies and son has asthma. The cats with the short hair actually bother us more than the long haired ones. The short haired ones shed fine short pieces of hair that are a LOT more bothersome then a long hair "chunk." The short hairs seem to "fly" up my nose. Also, our home is all tile and the vacuum won't pick up the fine short hairs. I have to use a wet mop...daily.

None of our cats scratch the furniture....much. They have allllll sorts of "cat things" that they are allowed to scratch to direct them for major scratching desires.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Default Heart disease in Maine Coons

Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
All in all I heard some good things about them. If not this breed can you tell me you favorite breed as an indoor cat. Thanks
If you buy Main Coon cat make sure you see PROOF that it's parents and grandparents are free of heart disease. This breed and several others with long hair suffer from a genetic mutation that causes a type of heart disease that shortens their lives.

It's best to save a life or two and go to your nearest shelter and see what they have. With three children I wouldn't get a kitten under 5 or 6 months old.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:51 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,227,984 times
MIL had a Main Coon. That cat was pure evil. She hated everyone. My 130 pound dog would not walk past her, and would stop in the doorway and look before she entered any room in MIL's house. That cat bit anyone who tried to pet her. That was my only experience with the breed and I would never recommend one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats