Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 8,792 times

Advertisements

It's Methylparaben, not Methylene. That's okay, we all have to make our own decisions. Just offering suggestions to the OP, who expressed the same concerns over sodium benzoate that I have. I'll take the blue #1, cellulose gum (Carboxymethyl cellulose) and paraben preservatives, over the sodium benzoate, potassium thiocyanate, titanium dioxide, xanthan gum and sorbitol (in C.E.T. toothpaste) anyday.

I'm certainly not suggesting OraZn is a perfect pet dental product - because as far as I know, such a product doesn't exist. Even chicken necks and wings are risky. I only found this forum whilst looking for new pet dental products, and just thought I would mention the product that I use. I actually only use OraZn on my cat every 3rd day, given that it does contain blue #1. It is a shame they had to include that. If C.E.T works well for you, that's great. The main thing is that we are all just trying to do the best we can, sharing our experiences and any information we find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 3,423 times
Hi there!
If I may chime in... Some vets suggest that toothpaste is actually not even necessary after all, more for us that the cat. Apparently, a simple brushing daily with wet brush is effective.

What are your thoughts on that?

I too am not a fan of the common ingredients used in many of them.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,158 times
Default CET toothpaste work and totally safe?

Our cat is 15 years old. The vet has said her teeth were fine last year even though I could smell them. We feed raw food which help but I see plaque on back teeth for sure. Does the CET disolve it? Do the treats help? Can they choke on them easily? Thanks for any help! Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Below is a link for the toothpaste I use on my cats' teeth. It works for real. I use the salmon flavor.

http://www.amazon.com/CET-Toothpaste-2-5oz-Seafood-Flavor/dp/B000FULD24/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1291545306&sr=8-5

I have seen amazing things using this product. The tartar that I am not able to flick off with my thumb nail, I am able to once I brush the teeth with this enzymatic toothpaste. Sometimes all it takes is once. Sometimes a few times. I consider this a very safe product, and have zero negative experiences with it.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,158 times
Default Petzlife not working :-(

It isn't working for our 15 year old cat. She hates it too... thanks for other options! Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post
PetzLife Oral Care - Natural Pet Products, Dog Dental Care - PetzLife

please do try it!

I Love this product!

check out their website, testimonials.

For me, my kitties have no problem with it.
They don't love it, but i think the "taste" goes away quite.
The salmon flavor is a must. More pleasing for kitty, and less intrusive.
Very easy to use! Easier than brushing with just the same, if not Better results then brushing.
The last thing you want to do is end up brushing teeth and gums too hard, making mouth sore and bleedy.

Every kitty is different, my 2 do Not foam at the mouth from it.
I use it a few times a week. Salmon flavor.
I use the Gel,... Not the spray. If you insist on using spray, any type of spray for that matter, the sound... a hissing sound, will scare a kitty. please then spray it in a dish or something so then you could just dip finger in and apply it that way from finger to mouth.
... But...
Get the Gel!!! that is best.
Put about... hmmm...a pencil eraser size amount on your finger and apply in mouth...
be sure to slide finger into miuth Gently, and Be Sure to get to the back of the mouth. this is where the worst build up will be...
don't have long nails, that would Not feel good for kitty.
as you are in mouth, as kitty will tolerate, rub/massage at gum line for a few second... each side do the same.

With not too many "treatment" applications... night time is best...
you will see, upon rubbing mouth, pieces of built up plaque, fall off.
not kidding! like half a kitty tooth size!
finger is nicer, faster, less intrusive than toothbrush...
but don't get me wrong... if kitty tolerates, plz respect kitty, then introducing brushing off and on is great!

Hold on though, ... If you have never attempted dental care for kitty...
must go even slower than described above.

rubbing cheek pouches, which many kittys love, several times day is a good way to start things

Old 04-08-2016, 02:42 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,612,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimInTN View Post
It isn't working for our 15 year old cat. She hates it too... thanks for other options! Kim
CET works but sorbitol in it concerns me. I can't yet find alternatives either, so kind of asked vet again. Vet said, use plain clean sterile gauze, as it is abrasive & helps scrape (sort of) as does this dry brushing w/ human teeth. So trying it to see if it helps.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times
I give mine raw chicken hearts and gizzards to gnaw on.

My oldest cat is 20 years, and she's never had a tooth cleaning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats