Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:23 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently bought a Litermade Elite automated litter box and so far I think I'm pretty happy with it. It seems like the biggest problem is being able to afford a high enough quality cat litter that will clump up properly. (Supposedly we need to get Tidy Cats premium scoop and not merely Tidy Cats regular scoopable.)

What are other people's experiences with them? I think the cats like having a mostly clean box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:21 PM

15 posts, read 23,335 times
I want to get one of those when i get a cat, how mush did something like that run you?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 PM

I think we paid $80 for ours. They're normally around $90 at Walmart or Target.

One of my cats seems to like watching the automatic rake scoop up the poop and deposit it in the waste receptacle. (This happens about 5 or 10 minutes after the cat has left the box.) I bet she thinks that there's a scary monster that also visits the cat box.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:57 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I think we paid $80 for ours. They're normally around $90 at Walmart or Target.

One of my cats seems to like watching the automatic rake scoop up the poop and deposit it in the waste receptacle. (This happens about 5 or 10 minutes after the cat has left the box.) I bet she thinks that there's a scary monster that also visits the cat box.
lol.. Cats love to watch technology in action.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:03 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
I've had LitterMaids for yrs....and absolutely love them. The new versions, have a bigger(stronger) motor and make them more noisey, but, love having the cats have a clean box to enter each and every time. We use the normal Tidy Cat....once in a while it will clog the rake and then it acts more like a shovel....but it did that with the "Supreme" litters too.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I bought one a few years ago. My older kitty had a hard time getting in & out of it and the usable area was a little small for him so there were some "misses". My other cat wouldn't go near the thing.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
I bought one a few years ago. My older kitty had a hard time getting in & out of it and the usable area was a little small for him so there were some "misses". My other cat wouldn't go near the thing.
Most of my cats are quite large....Ragdolls and Maine Coon...so they tend to be BIG! 17 lbs worth for the Coon...so I have always bought the "Mega" size....the normal size pan would have been way too small. Also, they come with an entrance ramp that help makes entering and exiting the box easier for the "seniors".

Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I've had LitterMaids for yrs....and absolutely love them. The new versions, have a bigger(stronger) motor and make them more noisey, but, love having the cats have a clean box to enter each and every time. We use the normal Tidy Cat....once in a while it will clog the rake and then it acts more like a shovel....but it did that with the "Supreme" litters too.
I'm using normal Tidy Cat clumping litter (and not the Premium Scoop, as a guy at PetSmart advised). For the most part, so far, so good. However, an hour ago I noticed that a lot of urine had clumped up at the bottom of the box. I think it requires about as much maintenance as a regular box--once every two days.

However, I like it too and the cats really seem to like it since it's their preferred box now (in spite of the monster that visits it). The most important thing to me is that the cats use the litter box and don't tinkle on the carpet or elsewhere. If the cats like it better than the regular scoopable box, then it's a success.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Regular scoopable Litter vs. Super Premium scoopable litter debate?

Old 12-17-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Most of my cats are quite large....Ragdolls and Maine Coon...so they tend to be BIG! 17 lbs worth for the Coon...so I have always bought the "Mega" size....the normal size pan would have been way too small. Also, they come with an entrance ramp that help makes entering and exiting the box easier for the "seniors".
I have two cats, a ~7 pound "torbie" (tortoise shell tabby) and an ~18 pound fluffy monster who I think is half Maine Coon cat. (Her mom wasn't a Maine Coon nor were here brothers and sisters, so go figure.)

Funny thing is that the half-Coon seems to like to enter the litter box from the side, climbing over the high lip of the box instead of using the ramp. Go figure.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 12-17-2010 at 07:32 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 07:35 AM

I don't use the ramp at all. I noticed most of the cats (other than the shortie Munchkin) usually just jumped over it! My boxes are either covered or in a cabinet ( we have a very nosey Golden Retriever), so the ramp just took up room. LOL...I could care less how they enter, as long as they DO! The one thing I do notice, they all prefer the LM over any other box. My guess, because it is always clean. At the moment, I have 3 LMs and 3 Breeze Boxes....the LMs are use more. Only have 1 who really likes the Breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats