U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:42 PM

7,201 posts, read 13,932,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Iodine and mineral oil are not homeopathic treatments...holistic, yes, homeopathic, no.
Hummm... the practitioner didn't even know what he was then. He told me he practiced homeopathy. I went by what he told me and didn't question him.

Quote:
So because you looked into something "some time back" that means you know as much as you need to know about that subject? Again, this statement trivializes the reality that some of us have experienced with both homeopathic and herbal applications.
How does it trivialize your experience? What you experienced may not be what someone else experienced. There's such a thing as placebo effect which doesn't work with animals.

Quote:
To say what you have said here clearly tells me that you might have glanced into these things, but you have obviously not put enough time in to understand the principles or processes involved. It takes years to learn, just like it took you years to learn conventional vet. medicine.
It still comes back to double-blind studies or the lack thereof. This is from Wikipedia: Homeopathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Homeopathy's efficacy beyond the placebo effect is unsupported by the collective weight of scientific and clinical evidence.[2][3][12][13][14] While some individual studies have positive results, systematic reviews of published trials fail to demonstrate efficacy conclusively.[15][16][17][18][19] Furthermore, higher quality trials tend to report results that are less positive,[17][20] and most positive studies have not been replicated or show methodological problems that prevent them from being considered unambiguous evidence of homeopathy's efficacy.[2][13][21][22] A 2010 inquiry into the evidence base for homeopathy conducted by the United Kingdom's House of Commons Science and Technology Committee concluded that homeopathy is no more effective than placebo.[3]

Now I do know antibiotics will cure bacterial infections. I know wormers kill internal worms. I know good sincere Drs and Vets will cure you or your pet if they can. Not everything is curable. Alternative medicine claims medical Drs have no intention of doing anything but treating symptoms. That symptoms are the only thing treated. This is not true. The symptom resolve themselves when the condition is cured or under control if incurable. And let's not forget that many ills resolve themselves with no treatment at all.

Quote:
I was not just posting these links for your benefit, I was trying to shed some light on the fact that homeopathy is not anything like conventional treatments because it is based in things that can not be adequately measured or explained through "modern" technology. If you read the information contained in the links, and do some (actual, not just glancing at) reading on quantum physics, you might begin to understand a bit more about why the usual and accepted forms of "proof" don't exist for things like homeopathy because our technology only covers what we can physically see and measure, it does not take vibrational patterns or energy we can't see or touch into consideration. Can we measure love? No...but we certainly know it's real .
Love is an emotion with chemical "feel good" changes in the brain. Maybe we see the word proof differently. If a person has been diagnosed with pneumonia let's say, and an alternative medicine cures it. That can indeed be measured... how many MGs of each active ingredient was in the alt' medication? How often was it given? For how long? We're talking about the physical here because the body is physical. The disease is physical. If the person (and others with the same disease) isn't cured, then the potion failed. What about cancer? I've seen any number of cures pushed by alt' med practitioners and not one actually cured the disease. Surgery and chemo is still the best bet, curing something like 40% of the people treated. Harsh for sure, but no colon flush or peach pit potion has ever cured cancer. The alt' cancer clinics still thrive in Mexico and no one gets cured. This came up on a alt' Forum several years ago when Hulda Clark and her Zapper was discussed.

Treating like with like? Causing someone already in pain with pneumonia, cancer or hepatitis to experience the same horrible symptoms is supposed to cure them? I can't locate anything but testimonials online.

I can't find any double blind studies to prove any of this. There is no scientific evidence any of it works.

I do know about the placebo effect but that is not a cure. It's a psychological manipulation. You understand about voodoo I'm sure. Unless the victim KNOWS they have a spell cast on them they're fine. They remain healthy and well. But if the victim is told about the spell, they quickly sicken and believers have died. Yes, free of any disease at the time they were told, they have died because they believed!!! Their sickness was psychosomatic.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-29-2010, 01:16 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,236,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Now I do know antibiotics will cure bacterial infections. I know wormers kill internal worms. I know good sincere Drs and Vets will cure you or your pet if they can. Not everything is curable. Alternative medicine claims medical Drs have no intention of doing anything but treating symptoms. That symptoms are the only thing treated. This is not true. The symptom resolve themselves when the condition is cured or under control if incurable. And let's not forget that many ills resolve themselves with no treatment at all.
Okay...your issue is not with homeopathy specifically, but with alternative (holistic) treatment in general. Let me give this one more try even though I question your intentions here and agree with another poster that you have a problem with the OP and her ways and are here basically to highjack her thread and make her healing techniques look ineffective.

Western medicine absolutely DOES focus on "fixing" symptoms, often disregarding the patient as a whole. The holistic practitioner strives to cure, to heal, and to take ALL physical, mental, and emotional aspects into consideration when choosing the proper treatment & regime. Chemical meds might very well treat the most obvious symptom/s, but what else is it doing to that animal or person? Creating issues in OTHER areas...renal failure, liver disease, general organ stress that requires yet more medicine to stay on top of. In crisis, by all means, conventional medicine is needed to stabilize the patient and in many cases save that pateint's life. No argument there. BUT in many cases common ailments traditionally addressed through conventional meds can be just as easily managed through special diets, supplements, etc...these things fall under the category of "holistic" or "alternative" simply because they don't utilize man-made, chemical medicine.

Quote:
We're talking about the physical here because the body is physical. The disease is physical. If the person (and others with the same disease) isn't cured, then the potion failed. What about cancer? I've seen any number of cures pushed by alt' med practitioners and not one actually cured the disease. Surgery and chemo is still the best bet, curing something like 40% of the people treated. Harsh for sure, but no colon flush or peach pit potion has ever cured cancer. The alt' cancer clinics still thrive in Mexico and no one gets cured. This came up on a alt' Forum several years ago when Hulda Clark and her Zapper was discussed.
Without straying too far from the original topic, I will just say that you have no way of knowing all the factors involved in alternative cancer or other disease treatments, but in holistic approaches, the regimen must be followed EXACTLY to get accurate statistics of success or failure. We can't keep a camera on people 24/7 to see if they're "cheating" here and there, and unfortunately we live in a very lazy society that is focused on instant gratification, so making giant lifestyle changes, whether it's for themselves or their animals, is difficult for modern humans, especially if there's a "miracle pill" out there that will make them feel better instantly. It's convenient...but at what cost down the road? Talking to a few people on an alt. forum about it is hardly adequate "research" that will lead to an informed opinion. Sorry...but making blanket statements about something you've clearly never read actual books on doesn't fly.

Quote:
You understand about voodoo I'm sure.
LOL!!! Voodoo? Seriously? WOW.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 AM

13,251 posts, read 41,202,652 times
I'm not a supporter of homeopathy, but that's because I find aromatherapy to be more efficient. And the two -cannot- mix. Homeopathy requires subtle levels of highly diluted raw material. Aromatherapy is highly concentrated raw material. Not only can they not be used together, but they shouldn't even be stored in the same cabinet.

I checked that PhD's website with the Flower Essences - she doesn't say what the ingredients are. She only says which flower is in them. If they're homeopathic or hydrosols, then they would be useful for someone who uses homeopathy to treat her cats. If they are essential oils, even diluted, then whoever is using them might as well just throw away all their homeopathic remedies. They are rendered useless.

If find it disturbing that on this woman's website, she also doesn't specify which type of cedar she's using. Or which type of anything really. Is her lavender wildcrafted? In which part of the world? Wildcrafted oregon lavender has *very* different chemical components than lavender harvested from the lavender fields in Provence (lavender x.intermedia).

Then she goes on to explain that aromas are therapeutic, and that scents are used for this and that. It sounds like she doesn't even know what aromatherapy is. It isn't the scent, or the aroma, that makes it aromatherapy. It is the fumes of the oils, containing very specific proportions of very specific chemical components, that makes it therapeutic. The "aroma" part of aromatherapy simply means that the oils are extracted from aromatic plants, and that the end result is an aromatic oil.

It means: these things do stuff..AND they smell. Not "they do stuff because they smell." Their smell has little to do with the therapeutic function. It is an aside, not a cause.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,279,530 times
Flower Essences are not homeopathy.

Flower Essence Therapy - Flower Essences

Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 AM

5,151 posts, read 10,979,968 times
closed until the assigned moderator can review...

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.