U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 08:43 PM

5,244 posts, read 15,643,552 times

Advertisements

While I was on a transport this weekend my hubby said he saw a tiny kitten in our backyard. He went to go get it but it ran away from him. Today I was making dinner and heard it in the backyard. I opened the backdoor and saw it. It also saw me and took off, finding a small hole in the fence to escape through.

It ran under the barn and kept crying. I went and got a plate and some tuna and took it outside. It was in the front of the house in front of the garage and ran into the basement when it saw me. We've got a big access panel in the garage that's open and we don't have a garage door up - I guess it's more of a 'carport' than garage, but anyway, it ran in there. I put the plate at the edge of that access panel and it came over and ate like crazy. It let me get close but not enough to grab it.

So at least it has food and shelter. And since it's winter and it's so cold it should be fairly easy to trap him/her. While I was trying to find info on TNR in the Nashville area hubby found her crying in the basement. It sounded like she was against the door in the bedroom that goes down there so I had hubby get food and water and a broom. I sat in the recliner at the other end of the room and he stood around the corner. We left the door cracked open and waited.

It took about 15 minutes but she finally got cold and hungry enough that she came in and started eating. Hubby reached the broom around the corner up high and I distracted her making noises and moving my fingers on the floor. And quick as ya can, hubby closed her escape!

She freaked out for a minute, but hunger won out and she started eating. I gave her a half hour to really relax and then decided to catch her. Ever try to catch a wild cat in a bedroom? Not the easiest of jobs!

I did finally get her cornered and tossed the towel over her and scoop her up and wrapped her tight. She wasn't thrilled but handled it better than I thought she would. After about five minutes she started purring. And within a half hour she was asleep. Probably the first time she's ever been full and warm since being a kitten with mommy wrapped around her.

The first dog we let in the room to see her was Munchi, since she's been in love with kittens since she adopted the motherless litter I brought home 6 months ago. She was immediately in mommy mode, cleaning her back!

Not sure what our plan is right now. We've got 2 cats of our own and 4 kittens that are fosters and available for adoption. I don't want to put an untested kitten in with them and risk any disease spreading. But I can't leave her with the dozen dogs either. I'll probably set up a big dog crate with food and water and a litter box in the guest room for now. I'll call the vet tomorrow and see if we can get her in for testing. If she's negative we'll go from there.

Photo isn't great. It's my cell in a room with not so great lighting. But it's Munchi cleaning the back of the kitten.
Attached Thumbnails
Look what we found.....-kitten.bmp  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:16 PM

14,523 posts, read 8,349,253 times
Awwww! He's so cute

Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 AM

216 posts, read 788,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Ever try to catch a wild cat in a bedroom?

Yes!!

Congratulations to your new addition to the family!!!
I hope all turns out well for all of you, they choose us, not vice versa.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 AM

11,736 posts, read 20,262,379 times
Lovely kitten! Here's hoping she gets a clean bill of health soon.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:51 AM

19,856 posts, read 63,063,137 times
Bless you again for your kindness to animals.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM

39,256 posts, read 69,753,645 times
Poor little thing. Bless you for caring for her.

And Munchi is certainly a gift from heaven.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM

16,903 posts, read 15,699,659 times
I am soooooooooooo happy you are helping that baby kitty ! I could not open the picture though, I see the small icon but my computer won't open it...Keep up the greaaaat work !

Old 12-20-2010, 01:05 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,065,148 times
Awesome for rescuing a baby! And a cutie ;-)

Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 PM

11,798 posts, read 24,042,829 times
Thank you for caring about the kitten.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:33 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,440,236 times
The animals just flock to you don't they! Cute kitty and Munchi is such a sweetie for helping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats