Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 09:35 PM

555 posts, read 1,573,716 times

Advertisements

Our family got a cat back in September, and it's taken until now, but she is getting this habit where she jumps up on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. She jumped into our Christmas Tree the other day and broke some 120 year old ornaments, along with almost breaking a very expensive die-cast car that was on the top of my dresser earlier today. That's along with the kitchen table, counter, workbenches in the basement, etc. I've sprayed her with a water bottle and have started patting her on the rear (not hard, but to let know she did something wrong), but it's not helping. We have had a cat for the most of 20 years, and she's the first to not respond to punishment.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,494,000 times
We have 7 cats. What one doesn't think of, another will.

I don't have any suggestions because we take the easy way out... our home is "cat proof."

Old 12-22-2010, 10:30 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
I have 6 and if I have anything that I really want to keep safe from the cats, it is put in a spot where I know they can't get to it, such as a cabinet or high up on a shelf. Most cats will jump on tables, bookshelves etc., cats don't like to be on the floor, they enjoy being higher up and checking things out. Even the ones that knew we didn't want them on the dining table would get up on the table, they would just jump down when they heard me coming, LOL. Cats are inquisitive by nature.... and some of them are more clumsy than others....

forum rules, please read them

Old 12-23-2010, 07:07 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
I have 15 cats and have learned, just like many others here, that cats, due to their very curious nature, will do the darnedest things, like climbing a Christmas tree and sending it toppling over. I feel so badly for your keepsake ornaments.

But please don't yell or punish your kitten for doing only something that is "natural" for him to do. Yes, do start cat-proofing your house, getting valuables and breakables either up high enough (what is high enough when you have cats??) or behind a closed cupboard door, or put somewhere for safe keeping. All my collectibles have been put away, after a few disastrous eye openers compliments of my furkids.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,817 times
I second the option of just cat proofing the house. I'm bringing my three 10 month old kittens to my Mom's for Christmas - and I'm VERY anxious about what they are going to do to her Christmas tree. But we will be ready with eyes wide open and a squirt bottle handy.

Cats don't respond to "patting"....I think it only makes them fear you, not discourage behaviors. At least that's what I've read. Just sayin.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:42 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Two words: water pistol

Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 AM

Cat proofing our house is out of the question. We have tons of hobby stuff like RC planes, die-casts, a train layout etc. Too much to fit in one room and throwing that stuff away.......not gonna happen. Plus, I'm not only worried about stuff getting broken, I'm also worried about her jumping on stuff like the stove or up on a counter when someone has a knife, and none of us are a big fan of her rubbing her butt on the table we eat at lol.

I know cats are curious, but I'm not gonna let the cat make the rules. Just sayin'.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
I believe it would help immensely with everyone all the way around in your home, if you were to read about cat psychology and what makes a cat tick.

This link has a few ideas to help you train your kitten not to go on or near surfaces (things) that are off limits.
Amazon.com: MultiVet SSSCAT Cat Training Aid: Kitchen & Dining

My thoughts only>>>>>said very quietly>>>>>>Maybe you should have thought it out a little more thoroughly about getting a kitten in a home with so much hobby stuff laying around. We all need to be considerate of a feline's needs as well as our own, for both will live under a common roof.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I believe it would help immensely with everyone all the way around in your home, if you were to read about cat psychology and what makes a cat tick.

This link has a few ideas to help you train your kitten not to go on or near surfaces (things) that are off limits.

My thoughts only>>>>>said very quietly>>>>>>Maybe you should have thought it out a little more thoroughly about getting a kitten in a home with so much hobby stuff laying around. We all need to be considerate of a feline's needs as well as our own, for both will live under a common roof.
My thoughts too but not so quietly.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post

We're had cats, which were all kittens, for 20 years now. We know what they do. They all jumped on stuff they weren't supposed to, but they responded to punishment when they got in trouble, and this one isn't responding very well right now.

I'm not looking for ways to cat-proof the house because I don't feel it's needed, but ways to teach her to not jump on stuff that she shouldn't be on, before she teaches herself by jumping on a hot stove. We taught her to not chew wires and boxes, got her to stop knocking books off the bookshelf and stop tipping over the laundry hampers, so this should be possible.

Plus, it's not as if she has nothing to jump up on. She's free to jump on the beds, furniture, desks, kitchen chairs, kitty condo, anything in the bathroom etc, just not places where things are going to get broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats