Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,987,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
I am upset beyond belief.

I was going through my cat's medical records, and noticed that last year she was given the oral form of Metacam along with her rabies vaccine. Not knowing why, or what Metacam is for, I "Googled" it. To my horror, this is a drug that the FDA sheet clearly states to give only to dogs, and not to cats, because of very high risks of gastrointestinal toxicity and renal failure!
It's time to find another vet.

Quote:
Good thing I had recently changed vets, due to other things such as terrible bedside manner with my frightened cat.

Not only was she given this on that one occasion, but two other times... in prep. for dental surgery, and a week later right after the dental surgery, and the Professional insert for the product clearly states "RENAL FAILURE HAS BEEN REPORTED AS AN OUTCOME OF REPEATED ORAL DOSING OF CATS". Obviously my former vet cannot READ or does NOT CARE.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
You got that right. Some vets sleep through vet school. Look at how many don't even know cats are obligate carnivores and sell or recommend DRY KIBBLE! Several vets have told me they don't teach much about pet nutrition at the Universities.

Quote:
Needless to say, as soon as my new vet gets back from holiday vacation, I am going to be on the phone asking how worried I should be, and can we have some tests done to check for any kidney damage or intestinal damage besides the SEVERE COLITIS my cat has been through this past June after a routine rabies vaccine.
Is she by any chance on a dry kibble diet?

Quote:
My former vet's receptionist assured me this morning she was not given Metacam this year with the rabies vaccine, but I have a hard time understanding why my cat developed severe diarrhea several days later, unless this drug was carelessly given in addition to the vaccine "to prevent any soreness associated with receiving the vaccine". (So says my treatment summary for her 2009 rabies vaccine plus oral Metacam).

Wow.
My last kitten was automatically, without asking me, give the 3 way shot that is suspected to causing cancer in cats later in life. I was furious when I found out. I'll not be going back to that particular Animal Hosp.

Quote:
Hope this opens some eyes out there. I will be asking my new vet to inform me of everything they put in or on my cat before doing so, and any and all risks involved... especially if it is something expressly not intended for cats. I was never informed that my cat would receive this drug, let alone told of the risks, and certainly not given the Professional Insert for the drug , which the insert itself states to always provide the client with. I cannot help feeling that my former vet knew damn well what she was doing and not informing me of. How does one help but think that she was possibly trying to make my cat have kidney failure so she would have to come back for more expensive treatments to fund her golf hobby?????
There is apparently a very recent warning on the oral form of this drug for vets to never give it to cats, as of Oct. or Nov. of this year. I am very sad that my cat and probably millions of others were given this so carelessly before the warnings were more made more direct.
Could it be the warning is so recent she's not aware of it? Why not give her a call and ask? She may not be keeping up with things as she should be.

Quote:
Thank GOD my cat appears and behaves okay, and is over the colitis thanks to a nutritional supplement, lots of love, getting her away from Dr. Evil, and some good Reiki sessions.
What food did you have her on before adding the supplements? What supplement did you add?

Quote:
WTF are they (not) teaching veterinary students. To not consider the risks made very clear by the FDA and the drug companies themselves when something could be fatal? Let alone warn the client or inform them when being administered? Indeed scary.
From the above... she may not have known at the time for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 04:07 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
Sorry, I posted links about Metacam, that have nothing to do with the previous paragraph. What I meant in the paragraph above the links is in response to someone saying that vets often prescribe things that are not FDA approved, such as 1/2 a mild Pepsid AC (a human antacid) and Vaseline as a dab on the finger for a cat to lick and ingest to help pass hair in the stomach and avoid hairballs. What I was getting at by bringing up these examples, I was comparing these relatively harmless "home remedy" type things to a very dangerous decision for the vet to give my cat Metacam, it's like apples or oranges/night and day. 1/8 teaspoon vaseline will probably not hurt the cat, but Metacam can kill the cat.

And I wanted to go back and just delete the paragraph (but it was too late and the "edit" button went away),about the pepsid and vaseline because I want to make it clear I have not tried either of these and am not saying anyone should, but did hear my vet talk about it in the past (and I didn't think they were very good ideas.) Don't try them on my account. I would never give my cat anything without asking my (NEW) vet first, then doing some research. So please don't try these two home remedies and then try to sue me or anything ;-) I'm NOT endorsing them. (I give my cat a commercially available hairball relief that comes in a tube... ((much tastier for the cat than vaseline)).

Hope this answers your question
Yes. Thank you. I have given Vaseline only ONCE and that was for an emergent situation. I researched it, and what I found, it was OK to give. I wouldn't however endorse giving it on a regular basis, either. Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly!

Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM

502 posts, read 1,391,875 times
You're welcome, Garden of Eden.... I wish you well with your cat also, I was reading some of your thread. It was not a convenient time for me to hear about this Metacam risk either; we go in two days for a consultation with the Vet Dental Professor at the University, referred by our new vet, (since they are more prepared at the university for any dental situation, have intraoral xrays available, etc) because she may have tooth resorption going on, if not gingivitis (a history of some extractions, sadly, even though I brushed). It seems resorption may be an autoimmune thing that they don't know exactly why it happens. So anyway, I can relate to your frustration...I already have enough to worry about, as do you! I'm sorry this info. adds to your already full plate of kitty issues. But at the same time, I am glad to have passed the information on to you. I wish you well. I hope we have a positive outcome and a safe plan to look forward to, with the dental situation. And yes, I will tell the guy "NO METACAM!" and inquire about anything they would propose to use/do during whatever procedure is going to be recommended. It's frustrating having to worry if your pet is being/going to be treated appropriately.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:59 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Many vets use metacam off label in cats, in the USA (it is approved and labeled for use in cats in Europe) However I will not allow it's use in my cats, (big note in all their folders NO METACAM, among other things) and like the OP will always speak out against metacam use in cats.

There are other, relatively safer, drugs for short term pain control in cats.

Long term pain control in cats is another issue altogether, and I suppose.....if it was a "nothing to lose" quality of life issue...meaning the cat would have to be put to sleep unless she could have metacam for pain control.....perhaps I might use it then. Since Kitty would die without it in that scenario, there is nothing to lose by trying it, and if she gets AKF (acute kidney failure) from it and has to be let go, at least I would know I tried everything.

But under no other conditions would I ever use metacam in a cat.

Buprenex works great for cats with bladder pain due to FLUTD, by the way. It is not an anti-inflammatory, that is why vets want to use the metacam, but I'll stick with low dose steroids for anti-inflammatory, if ever it is needed.

For arthritis pain and inflammation there is now laser therapy so cats no longer need to be dosed with drugs when they develop arthritis that is too severe to be controlled by the glucosamine, chondroitin, msn supplements.

Laser therapy can also help with the inflammation and pain of cystitis in cats, and certain other pain too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats