Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times

Advertisements

In defense of Wellness canned Chicken, etc. I think the "film" is just the gristle. Also, Wellness itself doesn't usually cause UTI's due to male cats are very prone to them because of longer urethras. I have a female on Wellness over 1 yr now & so far good bld tests, etc. (w/ only occasional vomiting after a gorging morning wakeup meal when she gobbles too fast/much).

I stand behind Wellness as premiere unless I find other wise. I hope you guys compare it to other brands & see how inferior so many are. I know it has antioxidant foods like zucchini, squash, cranberries, blueberries, etc. said to be useless & undigestable in cats but I still think some of this may trickle down into cats diet anyway.

Ok, just had to add this fyi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Wow...you know, I did notice the last time I picked up some Wellness cans at petsmart they had a strange white "film" over them when I opened them, so into the garbage they went. When I got some Pet's Barn, they were okay...but it had me feeling unsettled, to say the least. Here we pay $1.59 per can for the stuff , pretty expensive for white filmed food .

On a side note, have you tried "Pinnacle" brand? Mine really love it, esp. my female, she gobbles it up like it's the last feast she'll ever eat, LOL !
I haven't heard of Pinnacle so I looked it up. Unfortunately Pinnacle does not have a canned formula that does not contain fish, so that will not work for my cats, thank you for the suggestion.

Out of curioustiyt though, what style is the Pinnacle food? I mean, pate, chunks in gravy, shredded....?

My 12 year old male cat is so finicky I some times cry in despair. He loved the Innova Flex stew Chicken and brown rice, and was thriving on it. Then P&G bought them out. I have not yet seen any new batches of that since the buy out, and I have my doubts about the quality staying high, when they do come out.

It has happened time and again. A high quality food is bought out by a big corporation and within 2 years the quality drops.

I'm trying Weruva, as it has the shredded chicken he likes, but none of the cats like it much. He will eat Petite Cuisine sesame chicken but only once every five days or so. I've got him eating Blue flaked chicken and rice, but he will not eat it with any consistency either.

He'll take a bite or two of the Wellness canned I am still sparsely feeding, but not more than a bite or two, he hates pate usually and I hate those pouches and will not use them.

I really don't know where else to turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
In defense of Wellness canned Chicken, etc. I think the "film" is just the gristle. Also, Wellness itself doesn't usually cause UTI's due to male cats are very prone to them because of longer urethras. I have a female on Wellness over 1 yr now & so far good bld tests, etc. (w/ only occasional vomiting after a gorging morning wakeup meal when she gobbles too fast/much).

I stand behind Wellness as premiere unless I find other wise. I hope you guys compare it to other brands & see how inferior so many are. I know it has antioxidant foods like zucchini, squash, cranberries, blueberries, etc. said to be useless & undigestable in cats but I still think some of this may trickle down into cats diet anyway.

Ok, just had to add this fyi.
Wellness was a good food. But it is now owned by a big corporation and is being advertised on mainstream TV and being sold in places like pet smart. This mass marketing means mass production. Mass production means cheap.

The ingredients may look good, but it's the quality of the ingredients that begin to suffer when these big corps buy out the little guys.

My cat who eats Wellness grain free chicken exclusively has been thriving on it for a few years. It's the only food that keeps her constipation at bay, I don't know why, but it does, though it is very high in calories, one of the highest caloric foods, so I have to feed her less and she is always wanting more to eat.

But lately, the last batch I bought, she sticks her nose up at it and needs much coaxing to eat it. This is a cat who is not in the least bit finicky and will usually eat anything put in front of her (except Weruva, sigh)

I just don't know I just don't know. I don't feel I have the patience and knowledge to make homemade food for my cats. And I doubt the boy cat or the kitten would eat it, (the kitten is shaping up to be just a finicky as the old boy) But it is getting more and more difficult to find decent canned food they will eat.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:13 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I feel your pain, Catsmom21! Between buy outs, formulas changing, etc. it gets really confusing and frustrating sometimes!

RE: Pinnacle...it's the same consistency as the regular wellness cans, only quite a bit softer and with more "juice". This brand has never bothered their tummies at all, but it's pretty expensive so I only get a couple of cans of it a week.

The raw I've been doing is the Honest Kitchen "Prowl" formula...it's dehydrated raw, so you just mix with warm water and let it set for a few minutes, then serve. The consistency is a little looser than canned, kind of a "runny pate" ...it looks not unlike baby poo, come to think of it ... but they literally lick their plates clean (mommy's little helpers ), so it must taste pretty darn good . They started carrying the frozen raw medallions and patties from Nature's variety at the pet store I go to to get most of my monthly pet food, so I'm going to try that out pretty soon...(they say if they don't take to it right away, you can quickly sear the outside of the patties so the smell will make it more appetizing to them)...I LIKE this idea because all the necessary supplements are already added and everything's already ground up and ready to go after thawing.

I should also note here that the first time I gave them the dehydrated raw stuff, they liked it a lot at first, but then started turning their noses up at it here and there, and I think it may have been because I was feeding it every day for at least one meal. Now I'm giving it to them every other day for their morning meal only, and they really look forward to it.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Haha ladies, hmm ok well can you guys recommend a better brand to try? I'd really like to keep her on the BEST I can get, since she's my only furbaby as of now. But I was sold on the 'grain-free' (like I try to eat too) thus was using this ALL yr since last Jan. I'm open to ideas tho, but want to hear from you guys & what seems to be a very good food for her(also grain-free is a huge plus, I believe to me at least). Thanks.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:30 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
I had my male on Wellness regular and he gained a lot of weight and had urinary tract issues. He would not eat any of the expensive canned foods like Wellness or Evo and at $1.50 a can, it was very frustrating. At my vets suggestion, I tried Fancy Feast - just the plain ones and he loves it. I feed him one can in the morning and one at dinner and it controls his weight and the vet gave him a clean bill of health last time. The "plain" Fancy Feast only have about 2 or 3 carbs per can - these are the ones marked Classic.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Well I am not buying the Wellness CORE anymore-I have started giving my cats canned food and I boiled some chicken as well-
My Vet recommended Royal Canine for cats (canned) my cats won't touch it-so I tried the Natural Balance canned and my cats love it-
If you look online I noticed there are some complaints about Wellness CORE being too high in some minerals and causing urinary tract infections...I will still use a dry food to offset cost but I will give my cats canned food at night-
To Moonlady-thanks for the suggestion -I may try the canned fancy feast as well-my vet also said it is a good canned food...

Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
This thread has got me thinking, and thinking hard. So much of this information rings true. I have one cat in particular, fussy to the max, who wants to eat nothing except fish. Hmmmm......not doable in this house. But, the only other thing he will eat is Wellness Core, but from what I am reading here, I am beginning to have doubts as to the quality of what is in the cans. Darn it! Here we go again!!!

One food I have tried is called by Nature, organic cat food. The cat that turns his nose up just about at everything, I have been trying to introduce this food to him. The only flavor he will eat is Chicken and Mackerel, but still, we are talking fish here.

Grrrrrrr......To stay ahead of these big corporations and cheaper means of making foods, is extremely frustrating! My goal is to have ALL my cats eat raw, and only raw, with fish a few times a week (Weruva.....and yep, I am still using Weruva even though it is made in Thailand......the ingredients plus the can itself is still quality!). My other option is to buy Alaskian Salmon (people food) but that is $5 per can. Um, I have a LOT of felines in this house.......but, but, but, that is where I am heading.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Well I am not buying the Wellness CORE anymore-I have started giving my cats canned food and I boiled some chicken as well-
My Vet recommended Royal Canine for cats (canned) my cats won't touch it-so I tried the Natural Balance canned and my cats love it-
If you look online I noticed there are some complaints about Wellness CORE being too high in some minerals and causing urinary tract infections...I will still use a dry food to offset cost but I will give my cats canned food at night-
To Moonlady-thanks for the suggestion -I may try the canned fancy feast as well-my vet also said it is a good canned food...
Your cats are SMART. Royal Canine for cats is JUNK!

Natural Balance? Hmmmm.......something else I will look at today! Thanks, dnvrsoul!

Old 01-06-2011, 09:03 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
GOE,
Mannnnnny of the posts are referring to Wellness DRY kibble. You are an ingredients reader Check out the ingredients list on the flavors of the canned food that you are currently feeding your felines.

Personally, I don't feel that Wellness wet is 100% fool proof...but it DEFINITELY beats the heck out of some of the wet foods available and DEFINITELY is better than a dry kibble diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
This thread has got me thinking, and thinking hard. So much of this information rings true. I have one cat in particular, fussy to the max, who wants to eat nothing except fish. Hmmmm......not doable in this house. But, the only other thing he will eat is Wellness Core, but from what I am reading here, I am beginning to have doubts as to the quality of what is in the cans. Darn it! Here we go again!!!

One food I have tried is called by Nature, organic cat food. The cat that turns his nose up just about at everything, I have been trying to introduce this food to him. The only flavor he will eat is Chicken and Mackerel, but still, we are talking fish here.

Grrrrrrr......To stay ahead of these big corporations and cheaper means of making foods, is extremely frustrating! My goal is to have ALL my cats eat raw, and only raw, with fish a few times a week (Weruva.....and yep, I am still using Weruva even though it is made in Thailand......the ingredients plus the can itself is still quality!). My other option is to buy Alaskian Salmon (people food) but that is $5 per can. Um, I have a LOT of felines in this house.......but, but, but, that is where I am heading.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,490,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post

Natural Balance? Hmmmm.......something else I will look at today! Thanks, dnvrsoul!
Natural Balance was one recalled in 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats