Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 10:06 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
GOE,
Mannnnnny of the posts are referring to Wellness DRY kibble. You are an ingredients reader Check out the ingredients list on the flavors of the canned food that you are currently feeding your felines.

Personally, I don't feel that Wellness wet is 100% fool proof...but it DEFINITELY beats the heck out of some of the wet foods available and DEFINITELY is better than a dry kibble diet.
Quote:
Natural Balance was one recalled in 2007.
Thank you and thank you, Lola! You saved me some work today. Wellness CORE canned food far outweighs many others quality wise, still. Yet, it doesn't hurt to keep both eyes and ears open, and listen to that "hunch".

There is a rule that I go by here>>>>>IF it aint broke, don't fix it. In other words, I haven't had any problems with moist Wellness CORE, but but, I don't want to have problems. Research, listen to "hunch", and go from there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 03:59 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Well I'm sticking with Natural Balance for now-I may check out the Wellness canned..but I am leery-

Old 01-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Well I'm sticking with Natural Balance for now-I may check out the Wellness canned..but I am leery-
You do what you feel is the right thing to do. I'm all for that! There is just so much conflicting information. Keep your mind open for new ideas, but always do your research, and from the sounds of it, you are! Good for you!!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:49 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't feel that Wellness wet is 100% fool proof...but it DEFINITELY beats the heck out of some of the wet foods available and DEFINITELY is better than a dry kibble diet.
Wish my cat would eat Wellness wet. I couldn't even get her to eat the pouch of tuna and salmon!

Still debating in my mind if this is really better if the one canned food she'll actually eat significant amounts of is tuna and salmon (different brand). It's the only one she's really taken to, but I worry about the long term effects of so much fish. Fish or dry food. Which is the lesser of evils you think?

Old 01-06-2011, 06:21 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Garden, I'll look into Weruva. I worry of 'high sodium in human foods' tho, like the canned salmon you speak of. Natural Balance didn't work for my girl as I tried it BEFORE the higher cost Wellness.

She also doesn't like Wellness CORE canned (the HIGHEST cost Wellness items) only the lower cost (but still grain-free & wet = thus 2nd best cans they have of Wellness items) so I will stay w/ Wellness Chicken grain-free as of now.

Also, the 12.5 oz cans of ANY Wellness catfood HAVE BPA in them = no good! ONLY use the 5.5 or smaller ones -- NOT the larger (better $ in bigger cans... but you get what you pay for in 12.5 oz cans = BPA!!!) so, ONLY use 5.5 oz Wellness cans -- NOT 12.5 oz Wellness canned goods.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:24 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Wish my cat would eat Wellness wet. I couldn't even get her to eat the pouch of tuna and salmon!

Still debating in my mind if this is really better if the one canned food she'll actually eat significant amounts of is tuna and salmon (different brand). It's the only one she's really taken to, but I worry about the long term effects of so much fish. Fish or dry food. Which is the lesser of evils you think?
Some are SO finicky!
My Bf's cat was a meow mix junkie for years (until I came onto the scene, LOL ) and thankfully, after much trial and error, we've gotten her to accept Wellness, but only the salmon flavored dry...she won't touch canned...(believe me, I've spent a small fortune trying every grain-free brand under the sun to no avail!)...but it goes even deeper than that, because this cat will ONLY eat salmon/salmon flavored, nothing else. Freeze-dried salmon treats, baked salmon, or the salmon kibble, and that's it...and she's the type of kitty who would starve herself unless she gets what she wants, so in this case it has to be the lesser of 2 evils.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
You do what you feel is the right thing to do. I'm all for that! There is just so much conflicting information. Keep your mind open for new ideas, but always do your research, and from the sounds of it, you are! Good for you!!!!
I am and thanks to everyone who helped-maybe my cats are just sensitive-and one is FAT but I'm changing that too-

Old 01-21-2011, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 29,323 times
You might call or e-mail Wellness. I have done that several times to ask questions. I know cats are not supposed to eat dry food all the time. It causes bladder infections, etc. I took my cats completely off dry and feed them Wellness canned. All have quit having bladder/kidney problems. I would be sure and call or e-mail the Wellness company. They are great.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:10 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
My vet, who is very tuned in to feline food needs, alerted me last summer to the fact that she had started seeing cats who were on Wellness Core grain-free (which is what I was feeding my fur-kid at the time) coming in with crystals in their bladders. She was seeing it in both male and female cats, and was concerned enough about it that she was alerting all her clients that she knew fed Wellness.

Since Finn has an extremely reactive gut and it has been a real challenge to find a food he can eat without dire consequences, I was put out to say the least. Dr. Donna got out the binder she compiled of the nutritional data on all commercial catfood, and after doing some compare-and-contrast, she recommended that I switch Finn over to Nature's Variety Instinct. It's another 95% meat food, and the canned varieties include chicken, beef, lamb, duck, venison and rabbit.

Finn has been on the Nature's Variety Instinct now for about five months, and I have to say that he's looking healthier than ever. His coat is glossy and gleaming, his eyes are bright, and he chases his toys like a kitten rather than like the five-year-old cat he is. And he loves-loves-loves the food; rabbit is his favorite, but he likes them all.

Whenever I feed him canned chow, I always add a couple-three tablespoons of water and mix it well in, to make a sort of slurry. He won't drink any water out of a bowl, but he'll happily lap up all I give him mixed with his food. And when you consider that cats in the wild seldom drink water straight, getting the moisture they need from their food, that makes sense.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:50 PM

I've been slowly transitioning my cats who love Wellness Core over to Nature's Variety. I highly recommend this food, although there are some veges in with the food. And to save me money, I buy the canned dog food, which has the exact same ingredients as the cat food, just in larger cans. I believe they are the 13.5oz. cans, is that right??

MidwesternBookWorm, when you mentioned Wellness Core grain-free, were you speaking of the canned food? Reason I ask, is because that is what I am feeding some of mine now, and transitioning over to Nature's Variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats